Multiple Processors

Post by Kazimir Kylhe » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I was wondering if Linux would take advantage of a multi-processor
>Pentium machine.  I was talking to a buddy and was really talking up
>Linux when he asked if it would utilize all processors on a
>multi-processor Pentium server.  Unfortunately, I didn't know.  Any help
>would be appreciated.

Yes it can. The 1.3.x kernels have an option for SMP. Right now, the SMP
implementation does some coarse-grained locking around the kernel, so I/O
intensive programs that do heavy system calls might not benefit as much as they
could. The plan is to gradually introduce finer and finer locking.
The whole thing is still in a sort of experimental stage. There is more
information available in the Documentation/ directory of the kernel source
tree, namely the files SMP.txt and smp.ez.

A friend of mine is soon getting a dual P120 and he is putting Linux on it.
I'm quite curious, and look forward to seeing this thing in action.
--

Multiple Processors

Post by Rey Ban » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if Linux would take advantage of a multi-processor
Pentium machine.  I was talking to a buddy and was really talking up
Linux when he asked if it would utilize all processors on a
multi-processor Pentium server.  Unfortunately, I didn't know.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Rey...

Multiple Processors

Post by david.. » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

| I was wondering if Linux would take advantage of a multi-processor
| Pentium machine.  I was talking to a buddy and was really talking up
| Linux when he asked if it would utilize all processors on a
| multi-processor Pentium server.  Unfortunately, I didn't know.  Any help
| would be appreciated.

It works, but be careful about the kernel you use, some had a bug which
trashed files on the hard disk and the fix didn't get in for a while due
to the first patch being rejected by Linus (or so the SMP mailing list
says).

It works well on multiple processor bound streams, less well on things
which do a lot of system calls, and not well if the system calls
generate physical i/o.

The good news is that it's getting better rapidly, and a lot of the code
will port easily to the other SMP platforms, like the bebox dual
PowerPC, etc. I could believe a version on SMP SPARC this year, late.
--
Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward.

TMR does UNIX and other systems stuff, some real time, network and
system admin, security, C and other good stuff.

Multiple Processors

Post by Ken Waletzk » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Alan Cox has integrated his SMP code into Linux.  It is
included in the 1.1.38++ version.

  -- Ken