Making Friends with the GNOME Desktop

Post by Darre » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 18:47:45

This is a decent comparison and contrast between GNOME and KDE. Right off
bat the author notes that GNOME is organised differently from MS-Windows.
This would be contrary to what we're told by the WinTrolls - that Linux XF
is just trying to imitate MS-Windows. This article is actually quite nice
to disgorge all that stale FUDge about Linux XF being overly complicated
and difficult to use.

http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS2300246646.html

Quote:
"The GNOME desktop is organized a little bit differently from both KDE and
Windows. Besides the standard Taskbar-like Panel at the bottom of the
screen, by default you also have a toolbar across the top. This toolbar
gives you drop-down menus for program access, a listing (which you must
create) of Favorites, access to the GNOME Control Center and desktop
settings. On the right end of the toolbar is the GNOME Calendar: a
configurable clock at minimum, a Palm-accessible personal organizer if you
want it to be. You can also click an icon to log on to the GNOME Web site
(www.gnome.org). "

1. Making gnome NOT restore apps started in the desktop

Hello,
I normally use slackware (vers. 8.0 currently) and my usual window
manager is fvwm95, but I've felt like experimenting lately.  When I
choose gnome, as it comes in the slackware distro, and start an application,
be it mozilla or a simple xterm window, finish with it, close it, etc,
get out of gnome, log off, reboot, whatever, and restart gnome, it starts
up all the xterms, browsers, whatever that I had ever started in the
previous session.  Is this supposed to be a 'feature' and is there a way
to turn that off?

Regards,
Carl

--
Replace ragwind.localdomain with rahul for a working email address

2. unknown key ... use setkeys to make it known. Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard (fr), KVM switch, Debian 2.6.11.5

3. How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

4. TO THE PERSON WHO WAS HELPING ME ON MY RAW KEYBOARD MODE PROBLEM! ...

5. How to change gnome desktop to KDE desktop ?

6. (RFC) Supermount 2

7. Making friends and enemies...

8. gyro mouse

9. My friend made a discovery

10. Friends don't let friends use Linux

11. Linux making inroads on the desktop...

12. Logitech Cordless Desktop - Express, making it work?