IBM: Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?

Post by Lin?nu » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:59:54

Checked the book of that title out of the library.  It was
interesting.  The author is Lou Gerstner, the CEO who
turned IBM around.

Here's what he says in regard to Linux:

   Beware, customers, of suppliers who provide only UNIX or Wintel
   answers to your problems.  Beware of totally proprietary vendors who
   fight new developments like Linux.  These vendors still view the
   world through the window of their proprietary stack.

--
Linux:  Less filling, works great!

Post by Sundial Service » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:42:00

> Checked the book of that title out of the library.  It was
> interesting.  The author is Lou Gerstner, the CEO who
> turned IBM around.

> Here's what he says in regard to Linux:

>    Beware, customers, of suppliers who provide only UNIX or Wintel
>    answers to your problems.  Beware of totally proprietary vendors who
>    fight new developments like Linux.  These vendors still view the
>    world through the window of their proprietary stack.

GREAT book.  Read it all.

1. My question has still not been answered.Dance..Dance...Dance...

So again for the 3rd time, prove me wrong and show me specifically how
much easier it is to set up:

1. Internet connection sharing.
2. Printer/scanner sharing with Linux/Windows mixed system.
3. Firewall (software based).

Again under Win98SE:

1. Internet connection sharing:
        Try help "how do I share my internet connection?" duhhhhhh

2. Printer Sharing:
        Click on Printers/Share  Duhhhh again.

3. Firewall:
        Try Zonealarm which has been written up in just about every
magazine and trade rag. No configuration necessary. It blocks your
ports and informs you with a popup everytime something is trying to
gain access to your system. You have the option of giving access or
not. No need to type in all kinds of ip addresses although you can do
that if you wish also.

So how does one go about doing this easily under Linux?

It's very easy to do under Windows. Not one file to edit.

So how about a direct rebuttal to prove me wrong instead of all of the
lame attempts at deflecting a direct question.

Is answering a direct question too difficult for the Linux people?

2. IBM GLobal Network.

3. 'mount' say NO iso9660 support and 'cat /proc/filesystems' say YES!!!

4. Adaptec AIC-7895 support

5. select() says there's data, read() says there isn't

6. Voicemodems?

7. Dance RatSkink Bojangles, Dance LIAR..........

8. HELP: 10 GB Disks, Solaris 2.x, SunOS 4.1.3

9. select() says there's data, read() says there isn't

10. IBM's are good for games, and well sorry to say, THATS IT!

11. buy us out says SCO's CEO to IBM COMPUTERWORLD.com

12. IBM takeover of Sun - Say it ain't so !