Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by The Beav » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 05:15:41

Doesn't work with hardware.
Is difficult to use.
Is slow and cumbersome.
Doesn't have real world applications.
No decent games.
And nobody is using it.
It's a lead bellie.

BEAVER

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by cybea » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 05:22:23

> BEAVER

^^^^^^^^
The only thing you got right.

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by Ryan Mallo » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 05:35:05

> Doesn't work with hardware.
> Is difficult to use.
> Is slow and cumbersome.
> Doesn't have real world applications.
> No decent games.
> And nobody is using it.
> It's a lead bellie.

Proof please. I can dispense any one of these claims very easily but
will refrain from doing so as all of these false, pathetic and have
already been dispensed by several other Linux advocates already.

Make a claim, back it up, provide some proof and then someone will have
a nice gentlemanly arguement with you. :-)
--
Help! Windows has fallen and it can't get up!

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by rapska » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 05:42:29

Error Log for Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:15:41 -0400: segfault in module "The
Beaver" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Doesn't work with hardware.
> Is difficult to use.
> Is slow and cumbersome.
> Doesn't have real world applications. No decent games. And nobody is
> using it.
> It's a lead bellie.

> BEAVER

You wouldn't know a real operating system if it cracked your box (which it
probably already has).

You like windows, use Windows.  Leave the REAL OS to those who can
appreciate it and use it.  Go on back to AOL and your little kiddie
platform and play some more games.

Maybe in a another decade or so you'll be ready, though I doubt it.

--
rapskat -  11:35pm  up 12 days,  2:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.30, 0.68
CPU states:  0.3% user,  0.1% system,  0.0% nice,  0.7% idle

Win without Boasting, Lose without excuse. -- Albert Terhune

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by Rick » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 06:52:33

> Doesn't work with hardware.

Then how do you explainit running on this 266mhz PPC, with a Umax SCSI
scanner, a serial printer and a USB2 CD-RW?

Quote:> Is difficult to use.

I suppose a GUI is to hard for you to use?

Quote:> Is slow and cumbersome.

Then how do you explain that it is NOT slow on this 266 mhz computer?

Quote:> Doesn't have real world applications.

Then how do you explain the "office" suites, speadsheets, graphics apps,
dabases, internet apps, CAD apps, and all the rest?

Quote:> No decent games.

I have no idea if it does or not. I read that games is an area in which
Linux is behind... but then there are game consoles, and I don't play
games.

Quote:> And nobody is using it.

You may now explain why you are telling people in a Linux newsgroup, who
all use Linux, that they aren't using it.

Quote:> It's a lead bellie.

> BEAVER

A beaver... is that an animal that builds obstructions?
--
Rick

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by GreyClou » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 06:59:18

> Doesn't work with hardware.
> Is difficult to use.
> Is slow and cumbersome.
> Doesn't have real world applications.
> No decent games.
> And nobody is using it.
> It's a lead bellie.

> BEAVER

Ward,... weren't you a little * the beaver last
night??

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by cybea » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:25:15

>> Doesn't work with hardware.
>> Is difficult to use.
>> Is slow and cumbersome.
>> Doesn't have real world applications.
>> No decent games.
>> And nobody is using it.
>> It's a lead bellie.

>> BEAVER

> Ward,... weren't you a little * the beaver last
> night??

What was the nastiest thing said on TV during the 50's?

Correct

I'll take old jokes for $200

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by Marada C. Shradraka » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:59

Quote:>> It's a lead bellie.

What exactly does that mean?

There are cases where a 'lead belly' could be useful... I'd warrant it would be
quite useful on something that's otherwise top-heavy and prone to tipping over.
 Interestingly, that describes plenty of PCs I know.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
There is a precedent for the DMCA and CBDTPA.   In 1896, the

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by cybea » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:51:44

>>> It's a lead bellie.

> What exactly does that mean?

> There are cases where a 'lead belly' could be useful... I'd warrant it
> would be quite useful on something that's otherwise top-heavy and prone to
> tipping over.
>  Interestingly, that describes plenty of PCs I know.

There is an old joke that goes:

Q: What was the nastiest thing said on TV in the 50's?

A: Ward,... weren't you a little * the beaver last night??

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by Tom Goug » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:38:37

I have no idea why I'm rising to this, but hey

Quote:> Doesn't work with hardware.

So what am I running Linux on, thin air?
If so, that's pretty damn good, dontcha think?

Quote:> Is difficult to use.

I'm finding it *much* easier than Windows.  For a start, I have a
command line I can use.

Quote:> Is slow and cumbersome.

It runs faster than 'doze on *my* machine.

Quote:> Doesn't have real world applications.

Such as?

Quote:> No decent games.

It has crafty, which is quite a nice chess engine.
What other games do you *want*? ;-)

Quote:> And nobody is using it.

I am.  So somebody is using it.

Quote:> It's a lead bellie.

Leadbelly was one of the *greatest* blues singers of all time, so that
must be a compliment.

Quote:> BEAVER

--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by Jazz » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:43:53

> Doesn't work with hardware.
> Is difficult to use.
> Is slow and cumbersome.
> Doesn't have real world applications.
> No decent games.
> And nobody is using it.
> It's a lead bellie.

This appears not even to be a good troll post, as absolutely nothing in it is
true. Most trolls tend to create their post around a kernel of truth, which
they can spin around, but this one is just a succession of lies.

Linux works with at least as much hardware as any other operating system, and
it has the added benefit that it is extremely friendly towards older hardware,
should one want to keep using that.

Linux is indeed as easy (or difficult) to use as any other operating system.
Granted, it is different from Windows, but so is the Apple operating system, or
PalmOS. If you're new to linux, you will have to learn some things. Luckily,
most distributions go out of their way to make it as easy as possible for you.

It is my experience that linux is very snappy indeed, and it will tolerate very
low hardware specs before it will show signs of slugginess.

If by "real world applications" is meant: Programs you can do stuff with, rest
assured. Linux has plenty real world applications, and the good part is that
most of those already come with your distribution CDs. So you can be productive
immediately, _and_ save a pretty bundle of cash.

Ah! Games! Finally something that vaguely approaches the truth. Linux does
indeed not run as many games natively as "that other operating system". On the
other hand, linux has an amazing Windows subsystem that will allow you to play
quite a lot of those games for "that other operating system". Interested? Ask
around!

I won't even dignify the allegation that nobody uses linux with an answer. You
all know that it is a lie.

--
Jazz.

"Ceteris censeo Fenestras delendas."
(Cato - de Terrore Portarum)

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by Linonu » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:43:08

After takin' a swig o' grog, The Beaver belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> Doesn't work with hardware.
> Is difficult to use.
> Is slow and cumbersome.
> Doesn't have real world applications.
> No decent games.
> And nobody is using it.
> It's a lead bellie.

> BEAVER

You're posts are too lame to respond to, Beav.  Give it up.

Chris

Linux is a lead bellie.

Post by kd6oz » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:20:03

> Doesn't work with hardware.

That's a little ambiguous, isn't it?  Do you mean it won't work with all
hardware?  Well, that's quite possible, but then neither will XP.

Quote:> Is difficult to use.

What part?  Yes, maybe setting up iptables without resorting to the docs
can be a little difficult.

Quote:> Is slow and cumbersome.

Just how much are you trying to do at once?  I sincerely doubt any
operating system, given the same hardware, could run at full speed
running all the applications.  My PC is older and slower, so I don't
expect it to run software like a newer faster machine.

Quote:> Doesn't have real world applications.

Which of the 3+GB of applications that are included with most
distributions isn't real-world?  What do you define real world?  I find
that I can do everything I need or want using Linux.  Yes, I can do the
same with Windows 9x/ME, but not with NT or XP.  And certainly not for
the price.

Quote:> No decent games.

I'm sure you can get a * computer with a * operating system
installed.  Personally, I don't spend a lot of time or resources playing
games on my desktop machine.

Quote:> And nobody is using it.

Well, I'd have to disagree.  There are hundreds of thousands that are
using it and whom have declared so on the counter.  Based on downloads
and sales, there are millions of Linux users.  I'd hardly count that as
nobody.

Quote:> It's a lead bellie.

What's a bellie?

1. Lead Bellie Linux a real sinker

Linux is a lead bellie program that tries to be like windows but never
quite makes it there.It's a hostile miserable system with confiusing
commands a fragmented semi alliance of different linux makers that are
all incompatible with each other.Linux doesn't even work with itself
which is why the united linux alliance was formed. Linux is nothing
but a lead bellie. Linux users are also lead bellie's, and strange as
well.
BEAWVER

2. port forwarding problem

3. Lindows is a kludge and Linux is a lead bellie

4. Bonding modems under Linux?

5. led-stat LED meter / parallel port?

6. LILO problem - too many cylinders

7. led-stat LED meter / load generator

8. socket programming using udp

9. LED is C32 then blank, no signal both in monitor and LED

11. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?