Trip. Woops!

Post by Pete Goodwi » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 04:50:53

Uh-oh

Another konqueror crash...

(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1024 (LWP 2184)]
0x40e331d9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#0  0x40e331d9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x40eb0ef8 in __check_rhosts_file () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x405ed2ae in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler () from
/usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3
#3  0x40d44847 in _IO_2_1_stderr_ () from /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

--
Pete Goodwin
"You did not see me, I was not here"

Trip. Woops!

Post by Warren Bel » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:17:09

> Uh-oh

> Another konqueror crash...

[cut]

You know, if I made a post of every windows crash or weird behavior I'd
be here all day, not to mention look stupid.  Noone every said linux
was perfect.  We know that somtimes in software things do crash.  I
guess you think that by posting these problems that *you're* having it
will somehow convince us that linux sux or somthing?

Well, at least your posts are good for somthing... now I can try out my
new kill filters in Knode...

Trip. Woops!

Post by Pete Goodwi » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 07:14:38

Quote:>> Another konqueror crash...

> [cut]

> You know, if I made a post of every windows crash or weird behavior I'd
> be here all day, not to mention look stupid.  Noone every said linux
> was perfect.  We know that somtimes in software things do crash.  I
> guess you think that by posting these problems that *you're* having it
> will somehow convince us that linux sux or somthing?

> Well, at least your posts are good for somthing... now I can try out my
> new kill filters in Knode...

Well, I'm glad I'm good for something.

I'm only trying to point out that if a desktop such as KDE is unstable, as
compared to Windows, how can anyone say Linux is poised to replace Windows
on the desktop?

--
Pete Goodwin

Trip. Woops!

Post by Peter K?hlman » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 07:19:13

>>> Another konqueror crash...

>> [cut]

>> You know, if I made a post of every windows crash or weird behavior I'd
>> be here all day, not to mention look stupid.  Noone every said linux
>> was perfect.  We know that somtimes in software things do crash.  I
>> guess you think that by posting these problems that *you're* having it
>> will somehow convince us that linux sux or somthing?

>> Well, at least your posts are good for somthing... now I can try out my
>> new kill filters in Knode...

> Well, I'm glad I'm good for something.

> I'm only trying to point out that if a desktop such as KDE is unstable,
> as compared to Windows, how can anyone say Linux is poised to replace
> Windows on the desktop?

What do you mean with /unstable/ ?
Staying up for weeks without reboots? Then mine is unstable.
Staying up for weeks without leaving X? Then mine is unstable.
Crashing at least once per day? Thats windows (take your version)

Peter

Trip. Woops!

Post by Terry Port » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:32:07

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:14:38 GMT, Pete Goodwin in article

Quote:>I'm only trying to point out that if a desktop such as KDE is unstable, as
>compared to Windows, how can anyone say Linux is poised to replace Windows
>on the desktop?

Mark is right Pete, you really are a Wintroll.

KDE is *not* Linux, its just another wm and ancillary programs.

IceWM and Linux blows Windows away, right now.

--
                         __
                       .'  `.

* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.
  Free Micro Burner http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
     ** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

Trip. Woops!

Post by spanny_da.. » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:17:06

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:14:38 GMT, Pete Goodwin in article

>>I'm only trying to point out that if a desktop such as KDE is unstable, as
>>compared to Windows, how can anyone say Linux is poised to replace Windows
>>on the desktop?

>Mark is right Pete, you really are a Wintroll.

>KDE is *not* Linux, its just another wm and ancillary programs.

>IceWM and Linux blows Windows away, right now.

To someone whose gui programs crash left and right due to kde's
instability kde IS Linux.

IceWM?

Sure.....

Try adding items to the menus or customizing anything.

You need a half a dozen tools to do what you can do with a couple of
clicks under Windows.

http://www.icewm.org/index.php?page=utilities

You LinoNuts really need to step into the real world someday.

Trip. Woops!

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:13:07

> To someone whose gui programs crash left and right due to kde's
> instability kde IS Linux.

* off, flatty.

Going on three years with Linux and KDE, and nothing has ever crashed.

--
"What I think is a real injustice is that Rush has been struck deaf,
rather than mute." (Chris Ahlstrom on c.o.l.a)

Trip. Woops!

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:21:01

> I'm only trying to point out that if a desktop such as KDE is unstable,
> as compared to Windows, how can anyone say Linux is poised to replace
> Windows on the desktop?

As I said to my wife Saturday night while we were counting the Leonid
meteors, "eight hundred fireballs an hour ain't nothing compared to how
many times Windows crashes at work".

--

Post by Matthew Gardine » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:43:23

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:14:38 GMT, Pete Goodwin in article

> >I'm only trying to point out that if a desktop such as KDE is unstable,
as
> >compared to Windows, how can anyone say Linux is poised to replace
Windows
> >on the desktop?

> Mark is right Pete, you really are a Wintroll.

> KDE is *not* Linux, its just another wm and ancillary programs.

> IceWM and Linux blows Windows away, right now.

Not only that, but 99% of people who use KDE 2.2.1, never eXPerience Pete's
problems.

Matthew Gardiner

Trip. Woops!

Post by mlw » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:59:13

Wow, how often does a program crush under Linux? Hmm, sometimes for sure. Does
it bring down the OS? No, the fact that you can even see this information means
Linux is running.

Windows on the otherhand would probably hang, or find an error and call
NukeVM().

> Uh-oh

> Another konqueror crash...

> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1024 (LWP 2184)]
> 0x40e331d9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #0  0x40e331d9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x40eb0ef8 in __check_rhosts_file () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #2  0x405ed2ae in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler () from
> /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.3
> #3  0x40d44847 in _IO_2_1_stderr_ () from /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

> --
> Pete Goodwin
> "You did not see me, I was not here"

--
5-4-3-2-1 Thunderbirds are GO!
------------------------

Trip. Woops!

Post by Mark Style » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:17:49

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:50:53 GMT, Pete Goodwin

>Uh-oh

>Another konqueror crash...

But Linux kept running, right? And X kept running, right? And I expect
even KDE kept running, right?

I've lost count of the number of times IE has crashed, causing
Explorer to crash, or causing the entire desktop to freeze. Either way
a reboot is the only way to solve it.

I have never had to reboot linux for anything. All reboots have been
completely voluntary.

Trip. Woops!

Post by Terry Port » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:14:57

Quote:>Try adding items to the menus or customizing anything.

The menu is automatically updated as apps are added or removed, I
don't need to do a thing, Debian has something called a "policy",
its logical and well thought out.

Its also something your beloved Windows lacks, Flatty.

Quote:

>You need a half a dozen tools to do what you can do with a couple of
>clicks under Windows.

Ok please find and display the size of dir.exe in a one line command,
from your home directory ?

Here is my go:-

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        40848 Sep 23 02:54 /bin/ls

Please now demonstrate how easily this is under Windows.

Quote:>You LinoNuts really need to step into the real world someday.

You have no idea what the real world entails.

--
                         __
                       .'  `.

Post by mitc » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:43:49

>Ok please find and display the size of dir.exe in a one line command,
>from your home directory ?

Press F3 then type dir.exe

Trip. Woops!

Post by Terry Port » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:01:58

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:43:49 GMT, mitch in article

>>Ok please find and display the size of dir.exe in a one line command,
>>from your home directory ?

>Press F3 then type dir.exe

That's not a one line command, however :-

Now automate it to do that at 10pm tonight.

--
                         __
                       .'  `.

Post by Stuart Fo » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:21:17

> >You need a half a dozen tools to do what you can do with a couple of
> >clicks under Windows.

> Ok please find and display the size of dir.exe in a one line command,
> from your home directory ?

Trick question right Terry?  Theres no dir.exe anywhere, dir is built into
the command interpreter...

Of course, if you wanted to do that you would do

dir /s C:\dir.exe

> Here is my go:-

> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        40848 Sep 23 02:54 /bin/ls

> Please now demonstrate how easily this is under Windows.

Crikey, that's complicated...  ;)