Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by Bill Bake » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:19:13

http://www.directadvertiser.com/

--
If you spend all of your time arguing with people who are nuts, you'll
be exhausted and the nuts will still be nuts.

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 05:46:58

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:19:13 GMT, Bill Baker assert()ed:

Quote:> http://www.directadvertiser.com/

That's so lame.  No one uses Windows Messenging for anything useful anyway,
and you can just turn the service off.

--
General Protection Fault

 10:45pm  up 2 days, 23:32,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.10
Linux nitrogen.ertw.com 2.4.18-17.7.x i586 unknown

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by Bill Bake » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:40:05

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:46:58 -0400, "GeneralPF"

Quote:> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:19:13 GMT, Bill Baker assert()ed:
>> http://www.directadvertiser.com/

> That's so lame.  No one uses Windows Messenging for anything useful
> anyway, and you can just turn the service off.

Yeah, but just think of how many Windows users have that service turned
on by default.  They won't know it's even there until they receive the
spam.  And even then, do you think the majority of them are going to know
how to turn it off, or even if it can be turned off?

--
If you spend all of your time arguing with people who are nuts, you'll
be exhausted and the nuts will still be nuts.
     --Scott Adams, "Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel"

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:25:30

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:40:05 GMT, Bill Baker assert()ed:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:46:58 -0400, "GeneralPF"

>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:19:13 GMT, Bill Baker assert()ed:
>>> http://www.directadvertiser.com/

>> That's so lame.  No one uses Windows Messenging for anything useful
>> anyway, and you can just turn the service off.

> Yeah, but just think of how many Windows users have that service turned
> on by default.  They won't know it's even there until they receive the
> spam.  And even then, do you think the majority of them are going to know
> how to turn it off, or even if it can be turned off?

That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most sysadmins are
stupid.

--
General Protection Fault

  8:25am  up 3 days,  9:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.05
Linux nitrogen.ertw.com 2.4.18-17.7.x i586 unknown

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:53:38

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:43:52 GMT, Pookybug assert()ed:

Quote:> Another 'glad because Linux can't' post. Linux doesn't run many scanners
> neither. Anyway, I've yet to receive one of those spams but then I turned
> off  'Messenger' service long ago. It's too bad that this company is
> promoting spamming and misusing a feature of Windows to do it. But the
> unscrupulous aren't called the unscrupulous for nothing. How much better
> computing would be if people respected each other.

How much better /life/ would be if people respected each other.

--
General Protection Fault

 10:50am  up 3 days, 11:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.02

Post by alt » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:47:28

> That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most sysadmins
> are stupid.

What about the average home user?

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:04:48

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>> That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most sysadmins
>> are stupid.

> What about the average home user?

Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of IPs.

--
General Protection Fault

 12:00pm  up 3 days, 12:47,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
Linux nitrogen.ertw.com 2.4.18-17.7.x i586 unknown

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by paul cook » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:27:54

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most sysadmins
>>> are stupid.

>> What about the average home user?

> Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of IPs.

did you actually read that webpage... or are you just spouting from the
lip again???

|Notice: Please do not use this software for spamming. If you do so, you
|will take full responsibility for your actions. This software is made
|to send advertising or system messages to your own network.

they are not using the software, they are selling it... do not be
surprised when unscrupulous persons (AKA Spammers) buy it (or more
likely pirate it off Warez sites) and start spamming to randomly
selected IP numbers... When this gets out, especially when the next
version of it which they are trying to develop gets out, everybody using
that Ms-windows specific messenger service will be subjected to it.

Oh, by the way, Admins like to send messages out to people on their
networks. It helps to tell people to save what they're doing when you've
got to do an unscheduled server boot or shutdown to fix it. Just pulling
the plug leads to lots of disgruntled users, giving them adequate
warning along with an expected shutdown time and an expected duration
helps to keep them much happier and on your side...

So just turning off the service won't work.

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:48:02

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:27:54 +0000, paul cooke assert()ed:

> comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> What about the average home user?

>> Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of IPs.

> did you actually read that webpage... or are you just spouting from the
> lip again???

I read *a* story about it, which claimed the company had a database of
750,000 IPs of large companies.

Quote:>|Notice: Please do not use this software for spamming. If you do so, you
>|will take full responsibility for your actions. This software is made
>|to send advertising or system messages to your own network.

> they are not using the software, they are selling it... do not be
> surprised when unscrupulous persons (AKA Spammers) buy it (or more
> likely pirate it off Warez sites) and start spamming to randomly
> selected IP numbers... When this gets out, especially when the next
> version of it which they are trying to develop gets out, everybody using
> that Ms-windows specific messenger service will be subjected to it.

> Oh, by the way, Admins like to send messages out to people on their
> networks. It helps to tell people to save what they're doing when you've
> got to do an unscheduled server boot or shutdown to fix it. Just pulling
> the plug leads to lots of disgruntled users, giving them adequate
> warning along with an expected shutdown time and an expected duration
> helps to keep them much happier and on your side...

Here we use e-mails for that.  When you're coding, if a box pops up and
gets the focus, often you'll unintentionally dismiss it without ever seeing it.

Quote:> So just turning off the service won't work.

The company's firewall shouldn't allow incoming connections to this port, then.

--
General Protection Fault

 12:45pm  up 3 days, 13:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.01

Post by William Gr » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:18:08

>> Yeah, but just think of how many Windows users have that service turned
>> on by default.  They won't know it's even there until they receive the
>> spam.  And even then, do you think the majority of them are going to know
>> how to turn it off, or even if it can be turned off?

>That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most sysadmins are
>stupid.

Well I guess by your definition I'm stupid.  I set my mom's computer
up some time ago, before the window messaging was being used by spammers,
and she calls me the other day asking about some weird error message. I
drop by to check it out, and it's some windows messaging spam.  Serves
me right for not giving her Linux.

-Wes

--
"Sigourney Weaver is pretty cool, he really kicks ass in all those
alien movies, even if he does look a little like a chick."

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:29:55

On 22 Oct 2002 11:18:08 -0800, William Gray assert()ed:

>>> Yeah, but just think of how many Windows users have that service turned
>>> on by default.  They won't know it's even there until they receive the
>>> spam.  And even then, do you think the majority of them are going to know
>>> how to turn it off, or even if it can be turned off?

>>That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most sysadmins are
>>stupid.

> Well I guess by your definition I'm stupid.  I set my mom's computer
> up some time ago, before the window messaging was being used by spammers,
> and she calls me the other day asking about some weird error message. I
> drop by to check it out, and it's some windows messaging spam.  Serves
> me right for not giving her Linux.

No you're not stupid, and that's not what I meant.

I meant a sysadmin is stupid if he doesn't know it can be turned off.  Are
you a Windows sysadmin?  Helping your friends with their computers doesn't
count.  If it's your job, then you qualify.

--
General Protection Fault

  1:25pm  up 3 days, 14:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.12, 0.07, 0.02

Post by alt » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:41:27

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> That's their sysadmin's job.  It's not their fault if most
>>> sysadmins are stupid.

>> What about the average home user?

> Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of
> IPs.

You don't live in Canada. In the most cities, high speed internet
access is very common in people's homes.

http://cbc.ca/stories/2001/05/29/nettune010529

"A spokesperson for Ipsos-Reid says Canadians probably have the
highest Internet access in the world. And one in four of those
households has high-speed access. "

If I were a spammer, the first thing I'd do is hit 24/8 which is
almost all consumer access. Then I'd go after DSL.

--

Post by alt » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:48:22

>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> What about the average home user?

>> Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of
>> IPs.

> You don't live in Canada. In the most cities, high speed internet
> access is very common in people's homes.

> http://cbc.ca/stories/2001/05/29/nettune010529

> "A spokesperson for Ipsos-Reid says Canadians probably have the
> highest Internet access in the world. And one in four of those
> households has high-speed access. "

> If I were a spammer, the first thing I'd do is hit 24/8 which is
> almost all consumer access. Then I'd go after DSL.

Whoops! You DO live in Canada :) My Bad.

But still....

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!
All rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAA!"
"Micheal, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was
everything that I thought it could be." - Peter, Office Space

Makes me GLAD I run Linux!!!

Post by GeneralP » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:52:44

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:41:27 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> What about the average home user?

>> Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of
>> IPs.

> You don't live in Canada. In the most cities, high speed internet
> access is very common in people's homes.

> http://cbc.ca/stories/2001/05/29/nettune010529

> "A spokesperson for Ipsos-Reid says Canadians probably have the
> highest Internet access in the world. And one in four of those
> households has high-speed access. "

> If I were a spammer, the first thing I'd do is hit 24/8 which is
> almost all consumer access. Then I'd go after DSL.

Yes I do live in Canada.  If 1 in 4 has high-speed access, then the average
home user uses dial-up, don't they?

I think you may have read something wrong.

--
General Protection Fault

  1:50pm  up 3 days, 14:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Post by alt » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:01:32

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:41:27 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:28 GMT, alt assert()ed:

>>> Uses dialup, and most likely isn't in this company's database of
>>> IPs.

>> You don't live in Canada. In the most cities, high speed internet
>> access is very common in people's homes.

>> http://cbc.ca/stories/2001/05/29/nettune010529

>> "A spokesperson for Ipsos-Reid says Canadians probably have the
>> highest Internet access in the world. And one in four of those
>> households has high-speed access. "

>> If I were a spammer, the first thing I'd do is hit 24/8 which is
>> almost all consumer access. Then I'd go after DSL.

> Yes I do live in Canada.  If 1 in 4 has high-speed access, then the
> average home user uses dial-up, don't they?

(Sorry.. I goofed about the Canada part.... I posted then went, "wait
a minute....")

Quote:> I think you may have read something wrong.

25% of average users are still average users. 25% of average users
use either Cable or DSL. 25% of users are still online all the time.
100% of average users STILL don't know how to shut off the Messenger
Server. And all 100% of average users are still targets to this
"attack" while online.

I don't believe I've read anything wrong.

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!
All rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAA!"
"Micheal, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was
everything that I thought it could be." - Peter, Office Space

1. I'm glad I don't run Windows...

If you're running Windows, try this:

file:///c:/aux/aux

I know it does something nasty, but I'm not running Windows, so I
can't tell. :-)  This is one of many reasons I'm glad I only run
FreeBSD on my machine.  I booted Windows off of my machine, so the
only OS on it is FreeBSD.  I have a cable modem too, so the security
level of Windows just doesn't cut it.  And those viruses -- yikes!  No
thanks -- no more Windows for me, dudes...  Windows itself is a virus.

- Donn

2. ipchains in script will not execute

3. Making a Tomcat script (.sh) run during Linux Init

4. Uncompress

5. Running Sun apps remotely from Linux: Progress Made

6. DEC 17" monitor? Anyone have the specs?

7. What makes Linux run?

8. using Mac monitor on PC with Linux

9. Home made Small(est) open HW (schematics) to run (Embedded)Linux

10. making linux running FASTER on PPCs

11. (OT)Win-XP Search Assistant silently downloads files Arent you Glad You Use Linux?

12. Switch to Linux, You'll be glad you did.

13. New Linux user & damn glad!!