Netscape, then and now

Post by Daero » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:17:35

"As Netscape comes into the industry, we hope they adopt a PC mentality
[of documenting changes to standards],. They've been making lots of
changes to JavaScript. We think they should document that."
Bill Gates,   June 13 1996
http://www.veryComputer.com/

[ this is a good one. Microsoft was ignorant of the Internet until they
stole Internet Explorer from SpyGlass and bought a tcp/ip stack from
some third party. Yet here we have his billness rewriting history making
himself the originator of Internet technology. What bald faced  arrogance. ]
-------

http://www.veryComputer.com/
What if Netscape had won?
Charles Cooper,  March 14 2003

It's anniversary season in Silicon Valley. When March 10 rolled around,
the San Francisco Bay Area's media dutifully marked the three-year
anniversary of the peak of the Internet frenzy with the usual menu of
"then and now" stories. Truth be told, it was a date few people in this
region--let alone the wider computer industry--cared to fix in their
calendars.
---

  You don't need to be a "Netscapee" to bemoan the demise of what once
was the hottest company in the tech kingdom. I'm not going to waste time
revisiting the much-chronicled sequence of events that led to its
besting by Microsoft and subsequent acquisition by America Online ..
  ---

  Windows RIP
Microsoft needed to take out Netscape because nothing less than the
future of the Windows desktop monopoly was at stake ...
---

Finally, a truly cool browser
There's nothing particularly bad about the current state of browser
technology--that is if you are frozen in a time warp, circa 1999. But
for the rest of the Internet-surfing inhabitants of planet Eart,.
Internet browser design stopped being interesting years ago.
---

A new set of tech gurus
Silicon Valley's cult of personality would embrace Jim Clark, Jim
Barksdale and Marc Andreessen. At the very least, they'd still be
relevant to the technology conversation. They had their 15 minutes of
fame, but we're now back to* on Bill Gates' every last word--just
as we were when I first began covering the tech beat in 1985. So much
for regime change.
-------

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Microsoft to pay AOL $750 million
Ian Fried and Jim Hu,  May 29 2003

update Microsoft is paying $750 million to AOL Time Warner as part of a
wide-ranging settlement that also calls for the companies to jointly
cooperate on software distribution and digital media.

As part of the deal announced Thursday, the companies will drop pending
litigation, including an antitrust complaint filed by AOL Time Warner's
Netscape Communications unit in January 2002 against Microsoft. AOL also
agreed to a seven-year royalty-free license of Microsoft's Internet
Explorer browser.
-------