Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by flatfish++ » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:30:50



I *finally* fixed the tics and pops I was getting using the alsa drivers and
the Delta 1010/66 card under Linux.

Here is the message I posted to the alsa list along with the solution:

******************************************************

First a big thank you to all of the folks that responded to my  
cry for help :)  

I have bookmarked all the great sites you folks have  
suggested looking at and there is certainly some great  
information there.  

To solve the problem I went back to the basics and set  
everything back the way it was during the stock install.  
No SoundBlaster in the system, just the Delta and the stock  
nv driver supplied by Mandrake.  

I set the BIOS back to the defaults and let it assign it's own  
irq's without forcing anything. The Delta is in slot 3 which  
does not share irq's with any other slot.  

Ok, so now I have all the clicks and pops like crazy.  

Step one: Install the Nvidia driver for the card. I used rpm's for  
MD 9.0 from some other site I found because the Nvidia site  
does not have rpm's for MD 9.0 yet.  

I followed the directions to the letter (I have done this many  
times under both MD/RH and SuSE) and it still clicked and  
popped although I now had an Nvidia splash screen and 3d so I  
could play Tuxracer.  

On a whim, I decided to try compiling my own drivers from the  
Nvidia site. I set everything back to the stock driver again and
went to work.

I installed the kernel source code, ran nvchooser from Nvidia's  
site just to be sure and went to it.  

A few minor warning messages with the GLX file, but  
otherwise smooth as silk
and............................................  

NO MORE CLICKS AND TICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

YES!!  

It's still a bit early to tell for certain, but I have tried  
everything I could think of to aggravate the condition and it  
works smooth as silk.  

What is different between the pre-compiled drivers and my  
own drivers is unknown, but it makes a major difference.  

Not being a programmer, I don't care because it works.

Hopefully this can help some other poor soul with a $500.
soundcard giving her grief.

flatfish+++
 **************************************

I knew all along it was a video driver issue, but couldn't nail it down.

After some detective work, I have solved it and it plays just as good as it
does under Windows.

Now, if I can only get my printer (Canon BJC 4300) on a Windows XP share to
print with CUPS.

Wizard finds it fine but jobs just stay in the que.

That's my next project.

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by Linonu » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 01:44:06


After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> I *finally* fixed the tics and pops I was getting using the alsa drivers and
> the Delta 1010/66 card under Linux.

> Here is the message I posted to the alsa list along with the solution:

Thanks for the head's up!

Chris

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by Bone » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:06



> Now, if I can only get my printer (Canon BJC 4300) on a Windows XP share to
> print with CUPS.

It there an `rm' line in your printcap file for that printer? Does the rm
line indicate a host name? Do you have that host name along with an IP in
your /etc/hosts file? Is authentication required to use the printer?

Quote:> Wizard finds it fine but jobs just stay in the que.

What do your messages and syslog logs say about this?

--
Bones
(fakemccoy at <i don't have an e-mail address anymore>)

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 05:06:44



> I *finally* fixed the tics and pops I was getting using the alsa drivers and
> the Delta 1010/66 card under Linux.

> Here is the message I posted to the alsa list along with the solution:

> ******************************************************

> First a big thank you to all of the folks that responded to my
> cry for help :)

> I have bookmarked all the great sites you folks have
> suggested looking at and there is certainly some great
> information there.

> To solve the problem I went back to the basics and set
> everything back the way it was during the stock install.
> No SoundBlaster in the system, just the Delta and the stock
> nv driver supplied by Mandrake.

> I set the BIOS back to the defaults and let it assign it's own
> irq's without forcing anything. The Delta is in slot 3 which
> does not share irq's with any other slot.

> Ok, so now I have all the clicks and pops like crazy.

> Step one: Install the Nvidia driver for the card. I used rpm's for
> MD 9.0 from some other site I found because the Nvidia site
> does not have rpm's for MD 9.0 yet.

> I followed the directions to the letter (I have done this many
> times under both MD/RH and SuSE) and it still clicked and
> popped although I now had an Nvidia splash screen and 3d so I
> could play Tuxracer.

> On a whim, I decided to try compiling my own drivers from the
> Nvidia site. I set everything back to the stock driver again and
> went to work.

> I installed the kernel source code, ran nvchooser from Nvidia's
> site just to be sure and went to it.

> A few minor warning messages with the GLX file, but
> otherwise smooth as silk
> and............................................

> NO MORE CLICKS AND TICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> YES!!

> It's still a bit early to tell for certain, but I have tried
> everything I could think of to aggravate the condition and it
> works smooth as silk.

> What is different between the pre-compiled drivers and my
> own drivers is unknown, but it makes a major difference.

> Not being a programmer, I don't care because it works.

> Hopefully this can help some other poor soul with a $500.
> soundcard giving her grief.

> flatfish+++
>  **************************************

> I knew all along it was a video driver issue, but couldn't nail it down.

> After some detective work, I have solved it and it plays just as good as it
> does under Windows.

> Now, if I can only get my printer (Canon BJC 4300) on a Windows XP share to
> print with CUPS.

> Wizard finds it fine but jobs just stay in the que.

> That's my next project.

I had that same problem too, only under Solaris... if I
recall, the permissions on GhostScript need to be changed,
but I can't speak for your situation for CUPS.  The files
stayed in the queue but never got out.  There are a few
tests that you can make, like cat filename > lp0:  if that
is the printers port... but on a share I'm not so sure.
 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by rapska » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 05:42:16


Error log for Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:30:50 +0000, segfault in module
"flatfish+++": dump details are as follows...

Quote:> I knew all along it was a video driver issue, but couldn't nail it down.

> After some detective work, I have solved it and it plays just as good as
> it does under Windows.

Cool.  I have found the vast majority of issues with LGX are merely a
matter of configuration.  I am glad that you took the time to figure it
out and resolve it instead of just giving up and bashing the platform.

Best thing about it is, you will probably never have to do that again!

Quote:> Now, if I can only get my printer (Canon BJC 4300) on a Windows XP share
> to print with CUPS.

> Wizard finds it fine but jobs just stay in the que.

Hmmm...

So it's located on the XP system, and shared via SMB, right.  You can find
it and attach to it, but when you go to print, the jobs just hang in
queue?

Again, I'm not to up on this, but I'm guessing that it may be the local
configuration for the printer.  Are you using local drivers or are you
printing to the raw spool and letting XP handle the rendering and
commands?

Quote:> That's my next project.

Might be easier for you to attach the printer to the LGX box and then
share it out via Samba once you have it properly configured.

--
rapskat -  11:25pm  up 5 days, 1 min,  3 users,  load average: 2.10, 1.75, 1.09
126 processes: 119 sleeping, 6 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states:  0.3% user,  0.3% system,  0.8% nice,  0.0% idle

All power corrupts, but we need electricity.

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 05:58:11




>> Now, if I can only get my printer (Canon BJC 4300) on a Windows XP share
>> to print with CUPS.

> It there an `rm' line in your printcap file for that printer? Does the rm
> line indicate a host name? Do you have that host name along with an IP in
> your /etc/hosts file? Is authentication required to use the printer?

>> Wizard finds it fine but jobs just stay in the que.

> What do your messages and syslog logs say about this?

I don't have anything in my printcap file, maybe because I am using cups?

Here is my /etc/cups/printers.conf file:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.16
# Written by cupsd on Wed 02 Oct 2002 06:22:49 AM GMT
<DefaultPrinter Printer>
Info Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-4300
DeviceURI smb://192.168.0.2/CanonBub
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

The ip address is correct.

The printer is shared under Windows XP and will print from the other
computers on the network running either Win2k, Win XP or Win98se.

No passwords are needed to print from the other systems.

I found this in the Cups error log:
I [02/Oct/2002:23:52:00 -0400] Job 7 queued on 'Printer' by 'flatfish'.
E [02/Oct/2002:23:52:46 -0400] cli_session_request() failed...
E [02/Oct/2002:23:52:46 -0400] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry
in 60 seconds...: Success
E [02/Oct/2002:23:53:46 -0400] cli_session_request() failed...
E [02/Oct/2002:23:53:46 -0400] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry
in 60 seconds...: Success
E [02/Oct/2002:23:54:46 -0400] cli_session_request() failed...
E [02/Oct/2002:23:54:46 -0400] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry
in 60 seconds...: Success

I didn't even know there was a cups error log :)

At 23:52:00 I sent another job to the printer and like the others it just
sits in the que with a status of "processing".

It's got me confused.

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by rapska » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:24:10


Error log for Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:58:11 +0000, segfault in module
"flatfish+++": dump details are as follows...

Quote:> E [02/Oct/2002:23:54:46 -0400] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will
> retry in 60 seconds...: Success

> I didn't even know there was a cups error log :)

> At 23:52:00 I sent another job to the printer and like the others it
> just sits in the que with a status of "processing".

> It's got me confused.

Are your logins for all of the other winsystems identical?  It could very
well be a simple permissions issue.

--
rapskat -  12:23am  up 5 days, 59 min,  3 users,  load average: 2.88, 2.57, 2.10
124 processes: 116 sleeping, 7 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states:  0.9% user,  0.4% system,  0.8% nice,  0.1% idle

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
universe."
                -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:25:27



> Are your logins for all of the other winsystems identical?  It could very
> well be a simple permissions issue.

I don't have to log in from any of the systems to print, I just select the
printer from the choices and it works.

With Mandrake I used the wizard to set it all up and it found the printer
etc.

I don't ever see anything happening on the remote system that the printer is
attached to. I am going to investigate it in the AM.

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:27:04



> I had that same problem too, only under Solaris... if I
> recall, the permissions on GhostScript need to be changed,
> but I can't speak for your situation for CUPS.  The files
> stayed in the queue but never got out.  There are a few
> tests that you can make, like cat filename > lp0:  if that
> is the printers port... but on a share I'm not so sure.

I'll look into it because I don't think the job is ever leaving the local
system.
 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:42:58



> So it's located on the XP system, and shared via SMB, right.  You can find
> it and attach to it, but when you go to print, the jobs just hang in
> queue?

Yes. I didn't set up SMB or anything though, the wizard under Mandrake did
all of that.

Quote:> Again, I'm not to up on this, but I'm guessing that it may be the local
> configuration for the printer.  Are you using local drivers or are you
> printing to the raw spool and letting XP handle the rendering and
> commands?

Got me :)

I just let CUPS find it and install whatever it needed.

Quote:>> That's my next project.

> Might be easier for you to attach the printer to the LGX box and then
> share it out via Samba once you have it properly configured.

I would but I'm always bringing the system up and down for things so it's
not a good place for it.

I might stick an old 486 laptop on the network and run it as a print server
though.

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by Bone » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:30:06


[snip]

Quote:> I don't have anything in my printcap file, maybe because I am using cups?

Oh yeah <smack> Duh.

Quote:> Here is my /etc/cups/printers.conf file:
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.16
> # Written by cupsd on Wed 02 Oct 2002 06:22:49 AM GMT
> <DefaultPrinter Printer>
> Info Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-4300
> DeviceURI smb://192.168.0.2/CanonBub
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
></Printer>

I'm looking at the DeviceURI line. Are you sure that you can specify an IP
address instead of a LanManager hostname? I know this practice does not work
in the Windows network browser, and I had to put a hostname/IP pair in my LM
server's host file in order to let Samba access a remote print server. I'm
not using CUPS on that server, so I can't test your configuration.

Quote:> The ip address is correct.
> The printer is shared under Windows XP and will print from the other
> computers on the network running either Win2k, Win XP or Win98se.
> No passwords are needed to print from the other systems.

K. That eliminates any questions I had regarding that set-up.

Quote:> I found this in the Cups error log:
> I [02/Oct/2002:23:52:00 -0400] Job 7 queued on 'Printer' by 'flatfish'.
> E [02/Oct/2002:23:52:46 -0400] cli_session_request() failed...
> E [02/Oct/2002:23:52:46 -0400] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry
> in 60 seconds...: Success

Well, this suggests that it can't reach the host.

Quote:> I didn't even know there was a cups error log :)

Linux logs that *out of everything.

[snip]

--
Bones

 
 
 

Delta ticks and pops fixed!!!!

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 20:37:42




> > I had that same problem too, only under Solaris... if I
> > recall, the permissions on GhostScript need to be changed,
> > but I can't speak for your situation for CUPS.  The files
> > stayed in the queue but never got out.  There are a few
> > tests that you can make, like cat filename > lp0:  if that
> > is the printers port... but on a share I'm not so sure.

> I'll look into it because I don't think the job is ever leaving the local
> system.

I'm digging into my solaris install notes....

Do a gs -h   to see if the program runs or not and also
displays a list of supported printers.

at least under the lp print services I had to chown lp:lp
printername.fd
and then chmod 664 printername.fd
But I don't know if mandrake uses filters or not.
But I did have to change ghostscripts permissions in order
to get it out of the local machine to the printer.

 
 
 

1. lost tick fixes

Andrew,
        This set of patches fixes up the time doubling issues seen on laptops
with speedstep as well as other systems when HZ=100 or calibrate_tsc()
wasn't precise enough. No last-minute hand-editing of the diffs were
done and I've tested each step to insure they compile and boot. ;) The
patches in the order they should be applied are:

Patch 1: rename-timer_A1
o Your cleanups to the time code.
o Replaces your current rename-timer patch in your tree.
o Removes dependency on lost-tick-speedset-fix.

Patch 2: lost-tick-speedstep-fix_A1
o Detects speedstep time trouble and falls back to the PIT
o Replaces the lost-tick-speedstep-fix patch in your tree
o Adds dependency on rename-timer-A1

Patch 3: lost-tick-corner-fix_A0
o Fixes corner case where we detect an overflow between time source
reads.
o Depends on lost-tick-speedstep-fix_A1

Please consider for inclusion in your tree.

thanks
-john

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. Running a script in FTP??

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. New install of redhat 6.1 takes long time to boot

5. POP - Only root can get mail - howto fix?

6. Epson lq-1500 (don't laugh) and gs?

7. PATCH: fix ALi 32bitisms, fix ALi FIFO, fix ALi IRQ crash

8. PITS: A Request Management System

9. POP to POP mail servers

10. Pop 2 and Pop 3 running concurrently

11. configuring postfix / pop-server for smtp-after-pop

12. Pop Not Popping

13. Help with pop-perl5 pop client