A Joke?

Post by Ayende Rahie » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:07:43

Well, I'm not sure if you will find it funny, but:

Background info:
OSDN - Open Source Developer Network (Similar to MSDN)

http://www.osdn.com/ - Run linux.

http://jobs.osdn.com/ - Run Win2K.

Draw your on conculstions. :-)

A Joke?

Post by pip » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:29:02

> Well, I'm not sure if you will find it funny, but:

> Background info:
> OSDN - Open Source Developer Network (Similar to MSDN)

> http://www.osdn.com/ - Run linux.

> http://jobs.osdn.com/ - Run Win2K.

> Draw your on conculstions. :-)

Oh dear. How *stupid* can the people behind OSDN be to do this ?

So some M$ sites run Linux and some Linux sites run IIS. What is the
world coming to these days ?

I think these sites have contracted out... contracted out common sense!!
Doh!

A Joke?

Post by Chad Myer » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:50:04

> > Well, I'm not sure if you will find it funny, but:

> > Background info:
> > OSDN - Open Source Developer Network (Similar to MSDN)

> > http://www.osdn.com/ - Run linux.

> > http://jobs.osdn.com/ - Run Win2K.

> > Draw your on conculstions. :-)

> Oh dear. How *stupid* can the people behind OSDN be to do this ?

> So some M$ sites run Linux

Really? Which ones?

Quote:> and some Linux sites run IIS. What is the
> world coming to these days ?

> I think these sites have contracted out... contracted out common sense!!
> Doh!

Of course, when it comes to business, use a business-class OS and
web server: IIS.

-c

A Joke?

Post by The Ghost In The Machi » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:05:02

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, pip

 wrote
on Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:29:02 +0100

>> Well, I'm not sure if you will find it funny, but:

>> Background info:
>> OSDN - Open Source Developer Network (Similar to MSDN)

>> http://www.osdn.com/ - Run linux.

>> http://jobs.osdn.com/ - Run Win2K.

>> Draw your on conculstions. :-)

>Oh dear. How *stupid* can the people behind OSDN be to do this ?

>So some M$ sites run Linux and some Linux sites run IIS. What is the
>world coming to these days ?

>I think these sites have contracted out... contracted out common sense!!
>Doh!

I can confirm that jobs.osdn.com is running version 5.0 of IIS.
The wisdom of doing so is interesting -- but one must also bear in
mind that open source can run on Windows as well as Unix, with the
appropriate #ifdefs (and possibly some caveats as well :-) ).

Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:50:33 GMT

(Side note: for those on another thread, it set a session cookie as well:

Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDGGGGGRWK=DPFLDPLBLOADAJLAAHGCAEGO; path=/

I don't know if this cookie is persistent or not.

Side note #2: jobs.osdn.com's clock is about 5 minutes slow.... :-)

Side note #3: www.osdn.com doesn't process HEAD properly, and
instead dumps out the entire page.  This is a little weird,
considering it's running Apache -- there is the possibility of
a malfunctioning servlet, however.  All in all, looks like osdn
needs to do a little more study on the mechanics of web site
design -- I can't speak for their webpage, because I used telnet. :-)
To be fair, yahoo has similar issues, although I'm not sure what
webserver they use.)

--

EAC code #191       19d:20h:24m actually running Linux.
                    [ ] Check here to always trust monopolistic software.

A Joke?

Post by pip » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:12:29

> > So some M$ sites run Linux

> Really? Which ones?

HotMail (even still in part)... (or should I say BSD -> still opensource
:) ).

A Joke?

Post by pip » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:20:02

Quote:> I can confirm that jobs.osdn.com is running version 5.0 of IIS.
> The wisdom of doing so is interesting -- but one must also bear in
> mind that open source can run on Windows as well as Unix, with the
> appropriate #ifdefs (and possibly some caveats as well :-) ).

Apache works under win98SE quite well :)

Quote:> Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:50:33 GMT
> Side note #3: www.osdn.com doesn't process HEAD properly, and
> instead dumps out the entire page.  This is a little weird,
> considering it's running Apache -- there is the possibility of
> a malfunctioning servlet, however.

Or it could be a PERL programming goof (I notice mod_perl).

So the question is: why on earth does an opensource web site run IIS ?
Surly they know that if they are "outed" it will cause embarrassment. I
remember the fuss over the Linux Journal website (again they contracted
out their sales). It is such bad PR and really quite an insult to the
community!

To make matters worse - have you noticed at the bottom of the page is
the image with the text "Powered By VA Linux systems" ? That's just the
icing on the cake.

:(

A Joke?

Post by Michael Veste » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:33:23

> > > Well, I'm not sure if you will find it funny, but:

> > > Background info:
> > > OSDN - Open Source Developer Network (Similar to MSDN)

> > > http://www.osdn.com/ - Run linux.

> > > http://jobs.osdn.com/ - Run Win2K.

> > > Draw your on conculstions. :-)

> > Oh dear. How *stupid* can the people behind OSDN be to do this ?

> > So some M$ sites run Linux

> Really? Which ones?

> > and some Linux sites run IIS. What is the
> > world coming to these days ?

> > I think these sites have contracted out... contracted out common sense!!
> > Doh!

> Of course, when it comes to business, use a business-class OS and
> web server: IIS.

> -c

Hardly a good time to be promoting IIS. Code Red is about to strike
again. IIS is good for business. The business of technical support since
this product needs plenty.
--
Since the last power outage
  9:25am  up 1 day, 14:43,  1 user,  load average: 1.30, 1.20, 1.14

A Joke?

Post by Chad Myer » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:08:07

> > > Oh dear. How *stupid* can the people behind OSDN be to do this ?

> > > So some M$ sites run Linux

> > Really? Which ones?

> > > and some Linux sites run IIS. What is the
> > > world coming to these days ?

> > > I think these sites have contracted out... contracted out common sense!!
> > > Doh!

> > Of course, when it comes to business, use a business-class OS and
> > web server: IIS.

> > -c
> Hardly a good time to be promoting IIS. Code Red is about to strike
> again. IIS is good for business. The business of technical support since
> this product needs plenty.

Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy sysadmins.

According to what I read about the next round, the newest code red
problem is system clocks which aren't set correctly.

That's even worse.

For those of you who still have your head too far in the sand,
Unix is no stranger to worms that take advantage of exploits like
these.

-c

A Joke?

Post by pip » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:20:08

> Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
> over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy sysadmins.

So you are claiming that a security bug in IIS is the system
administrators fault ?

Nope - IIS is obviously not to blame at all.

A Joke?

Post by Michael Veste » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:48:34

> > > Really? Which ones?

> > > Of course, when it comes to business, use a business-class OS and
> > > web server: IIS.

> > > -c
> > Hardly a good time to be promoting IIS. Code Red is about to strike
> > again. IIS is good for business. The business of technical support since
> > this product needs plenty.

> Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
> over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy sysadmins.

> According to what I read about the next round, the newest code red
> problem is system clocks which aren't set correctly.

> That's even worse.

> For those of you who still have your head too far in the sand,
> Unix is no stranger to worms that take advantage of exploits like
> these.

> -c

The standard losedos response:
1. Blame the hardware.
2. Blame the user.
3. Blame the sysadmin.

We have a full time administrator just to keep a mere 5 IIS servers up
and running.  It is a big job keeping track of all the patches for
losedos, IIS and all the add ins.  And you have to keep in mind that a
patch may fix something but break something else. Our Unix administrator
is only part time and his servers support more than 50 times as many
sites. I would not blame the losedos administrator, he is trying to
empty the ocean with a spoon.

Didn't the last big Unix worm do its thing in 1987?
--
Since the last power outage
 12:29pm  up 1 day, 17:47,  1 user,  load average: 1.10, 1.11, 1.05

Post by Michael Veste » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 04:04:38

> > Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
> > over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy sysadmins.

> So you are claiming that a security bug in IIS is the system
> administrators fault ?

> Nope - IIS is obviously not to blame at all.

Like I said before

1. Blame the hardware.
2. Blmae the user.
3. Blame the sysadmin.

But the software is perfect and each new version is more perfect than
the one before.  This is standard winvocate doctrine.
--
Since the last power outage
 12:57pm  up 1 day, 18:15,  1 user,  load average: 1.04, 1.10, 1.07

Post by Fuld » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 05:03:04

>> Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
>> over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy sysadmins.

> So you are claiming that a security bug in IIS is the system
> administrators fault ?

> Nope - IIS is obviously not to blame at all.

He didnt say that. HE said the patch was available a month ago and the only
victims to this are systems administred by lazy admins.

You cant really contest that can you?

Cheers

A Joke?

Post by Chad Myer » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:58:51

> > > Hardly a good time to be promoting IIS. Code Red is about to strike
> > > again. IIS is good for business. The business of technical support since
> > > this product needs plenty.

> > Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
> > over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy sysadmins.

> > According to what I read about the next round, the newest code red
> > problem is system clocks which aren't set correctly.

> > That's even worse.

> > For those of you who still have your head too far in the sand,
> > Unix is no stranger to worms that take advantage of exploits like
> > these.

> > -c

> The standard losedos response:
> 1. Blame the hardware.
> 2. Blame the user.
> 3. Blame the sysadmin.

Well, you can't blame it on MS, they had the patch out a long
time ago. Plenty of time to get your servers in order.

Now I suppose you're going to tell me that the problem
shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Shall I show you a list of Unix and Linux exploits that work
in the same manner?

-c

A Joke?

Post by wgaf » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:06:39

> > > Actually, that's quite ignorant of you to say. The patch was available
> > > over a month ago. The problem is not IIS, the problem is lazy
sysadmins.

> > So you are claiming that a security bug in IIS is the system
> > administrators fault ?

> > Nope - IIS is obviously not to blame at all.

> Like I said before

> 1. Blame the hardware.
> 2. Blmae the user.
> 3. Blame the sysadmin.

> But the software is perfect and each new version is more perfect than
> the one before.  This is standard winvocate doctrine.

And that would be different for the standard linvocate doctrine how?

A Joke?

Post by Jan Johanso » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:21:02

Quote:> So some M$ sites run Linux and some Linux sites run IIS. What is the
> world coming to these days ?

What MS sites run Linux?

(If you say Hotmail you will be labeling yourself a complete moron fudster)

1. Windows 95, what a joke.

Could be worse.  When all the millions of people trying to set up
Windoze 95 finally get it working (unless they give up and get a
Mac, of course -which many have apparantly done(!)), we might be
in for a deluge of idiot MSN users.  Or does it not have Usenet yet?

--

2. SNMP agent

3. A sick joke

4. Solaris dynamic link config problem...

5. Fedrico=Henri=M$=JOKE

6. Gnome 2.0 Interface

7. Linux is a cruel joke

8. AIX 4.3.3 - Backup