An exciting Linux project

Post by Peter Daniel ECKERSL » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello everyone....

those interested in novel ways of promoting Linux might like to take a look
at:

http://www.computerbank.org.au/

Peter Eckersley

(interim Computerbank publicity officer :)

An exciting Linux project

Post by Benno Tangan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello everyone....

> those interested in novel ways of promoting Linux might like to take a look
> at:

> http://www.computerbank.org.au/

> Peter Eckersley

> (interim Computerbank publicity officer :)

I doubt how much impact it can have. People who cannot afford
computers cannot afford the time to learn Linux either; they need a
easy GUI like Windows9x.

An exciting Linux project

Post by Mark Metso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Hello everyone....

> > those interested in novel ways of promoting Linux might like to take a look
> > at:

> > http://www.computerbank.org.au/

> > Peter Eckersley

> > (interim Computerbank publicity officer :)

> I doubt how much impact it can have. People who cannot afford
> computers cannot afford the time to learn Linux either; they need a
> easy GUI like Windows9x.

Actually many people who lack money have LOTS of time,
because their time is not considered 'valuable' so
they are unable to sell it for money. Since it has
no shelf-life, they need SOMETHING to do with it
else it just goes to waste.

An exciting Linux project

Post by Nic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Actually many people who lack money have LOTS of time,
> because their time is not considered 'valuable' so
> they are unable to sell it for money. Since it has
> no shelf-life, they need SOMETHING to do with it
> else it just goes to waste.

Exactly. I started with GNU/Linux when I was a bread-and-water poor
student, continued with it during the following unemployment, and over
that time I learnt enough to land myself a un*x programming job (which,
oddly enough, has nothing to do with what I was studying originally :-).

Remember, poor != stupid, and free operating systems such as GNU/Linux
can be a great empowerer for the people with the time and inclination to
learn it well. How many people on the dole can afford to buy commerical
development tools for, say, Windows?

Regards,
        Nic.

-- Nic B. -- email "sky" at "wibble dot net" --
-- UN*X Programmer, IHUG (NZ) Ltd. ------------
-- #include <stddisclaimer.h> -----------------