Switchers

Post by Cecil Rhode » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 00:49:01

The other day I compiled this list of people,
companies, agencies, etc who have switched to
Linux/OSS, are happily using Linux/OSS, or who have
endorsed Linux/OSS as an alternative to other OSes.

I didn't spend a whole time on it, so feel free to
post links to ones not mentioned.

http://www.localsurface.com

Switchers

Post by paul cook » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:59:59

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

Quote:> The other day I compiled this list of people,
> companies, agencies, etc who have switched to
> Linux/OSS, are happily using Linux/OSS, or who have
> endorsed Linux/OSS as an alternative to other OSes.

> I didn't spend a whole time on it, so feel free to
> post links to ones not mentioned.

> http://www.localsurface.com

Carefull... this could give "you know who" a list of targets to work on.

There was a big song and dance some time ago when much was made of Tesco
(UK) switching to using Linux for it's Point of Sale terminals. Shortly
afterwards, there was a big announcement from Microsoft making a big
song and dance of how Tesco (UK) were big Microsoft supporters having
dabbled with Linux and decided on sticking with Microsoft for their new
POS systems.

Original tesco to go Linux announcement - 30 Oct 2000
<http://linuxpr.com/releases/2805.html>
|"The Point of Sale's web-based solution allows the Tesco IT group to
|improve the quality of service to our customers by responding faster to
|changing business needs," said Philip Clarke, IT and Logistics director
|and a member of Tesco's main board of directors. "In addition, this
|should allow us to significantly reduce the cost of ownership of our
|store systems."
|
|According to Point of Sale Limited president and CEO Barry Shaked, Point
|of Sale's strategy, in creating its web-based suite of applications,
|was to build a system that would cater both to small and large
|retailers:

|"Our initial implementation of the web-based solution was focused on ASP
|and marketplace initiatives, with the intention of bringing
|leading-edge technology benefits to small chains and independent
|grocers," Shaked said. "Tesco's decision to adopt this web-enabled
|software system is evidence that our new thin-store strategy is also
|suitable for a world-leader in the food retailing industry."
|
|This agreement follows a recently announced three-year contract that
|authorized Tesco to roll out Point of Sale's current software to any
|Tesco store in the world, beyond the 800-plus stores currently using
|the software.

Microsoft's very loud announcement - 17 July 2001
<http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/jul01/07-17TescoPR.asp>

|During a review of its point-of-sale systems, Tesco considered a number
|of operating platforms, including Linux, before deciding that Microsoft
|offered the best option in the fast-moving retail environment.

One would suspect that MS had gone at them with a hard "sale" and FUD
campaign. One wonders if Tesco had actually put their pens to the paper
of those three year contracts, or if they'd been given a "sweet deal"
that made the penalties insignificant...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Switchers

Post by Cecil Rhode » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 03:10:42

> On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:49:01 -0600, "Cecil Rhodes"

>>The other day I compiled this list of people,
>>companies, agencies, etc who have switched to
>>Linux/OSS, are happily using Linux/OSS, or who have
>>endorsed Linux/OSS as an alternative to other OSes.

>>I didn't spend a whole time on it, so feel free to
>>post links to ones not mentioned.

>>http://www.localsurface.com

> Imagine how big the list is if you did one of companies or
> people using Windows.

I haven't seen many press releases describing
people/companies switching to windo$. This is just
press releases

Switchers

Post by cybea » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:07:25

> The other day I compiled this list of people,
> companies, agencies, etc who have switched to
> Linux/OSS, are happily using Linux/OSS, or who have
> endorsed Linux/OSS as an alternative to other OSes.

> I didn't spend a whole time on it, so feel free to
> post links to ones not mentioned.

> http://www.localsurface.com

Great list, but could you put in a comma or two?

Here is another list of business using Linux:

http://m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/

It should be noted that many more business use Linux but are not listed
because no one outside their IT department knows about it. Hell, event the
manager of IT may not know about it!

1. kdm windows manager switcher....

upon starting kdm, there is a dropdown box for a user to select what type of
windows manager to run. how should i configure that list?  and how would i
add/delete a different windows manager (currently have gnome, kde,
anotherlevel, but don't see afterstep).  any help or pointers would be
greatly appreciated.

henry

2. 3.1.[12] and Miro 20SD - anyone?

3. auto-vc-switcher?

4. Any expierience with Digital TZ-04 DAT_Tape??

5. Monitor & keyboard switchers for Sun Boxes

6. Hellppppp!! Can't get PPP :<

7. DAT tape Switcher questions

8. FAQ repository

9. X11 Resolution Switcher

10. DOS task switcher

11. c++ compiler optimization switcher

12. switcher@winaddict.com

13. got something switcher between lin & win