DOJ/MS -- The Market Imposes Its Own Solution

Post by David Clear » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>This changes nothing with respect to the DOJ case. MS has used illegal
tactics
>to get where they are. This news does not cause those things to be undone.
Some
>sort of action needs to be taken against them. To use yet another stupid
>analogy, I can't rob a bank, return the money, and expect it to all be

over.

A judge will decide if Microsoft did anything illegal, not you or Netscape.

Quote:>The govt has not dictated any software designs.

They are telling Microsoft what system DLLs they can and can't include with
Windows. They are telling Microsoft to mark some files as hidden so users
can't easily find them.

Post by Tracy R Re » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>A judge will decide if Microsoft did anything illegal, not you or Netscape.

That's fair enough.

Quote:>>The govt has not dictated any software designs.

>They are telling Microsoft what system DLLs they can and can't include with
>Windows. They are telling Microsoft to mark some files as hidden so users
>can't easily find them.

Telling them that they can't install IE is not software design. I'm not a
software designer just because I can install and uninstall my own software.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
"Windows NT 5.0 is an evolutionary, not revolutionary, release of the

DOJ/MS -- The Market Imposes Its Own Solution

Post by Lee Riemenschneid » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

To hear the rest of the story...
Go to http://www.infoworld.com or http://www.sentience.au and look at
what some of Microsoft's memos and statements have to say, and you will
see monopoly power at work.
Anti-trust action against Microsoft will benefit the software industry,
not hurt it!

--
Lee W. Riemenschneider                  PURDUE alumnus and die-hard FAN!
Advanced Project Engineer               OS/2 user and supporter

Post by jed » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>>This changes nothing with respect to the DOJ case. MS has used illegal
>tactics
>>to get where they are. This news does not cause those things to be undone.
>Some
>>sort of action needs to be taken against them. To use yet another stupid
>>analogy, I can't rob a bank, return the money, and expect it to all be
>over.

>A judge will decide if Microsoft did anything illegal, not you or Netscape.

>>The govt has not dictated any software designs.

>They are telling Microsoft what system DLLs they can and can't include with
>Windows. They are telling Microsoft to mark some files as hidden so users
>can't easily find them.

        Actually, they may be telling Microsoft what Application
        DLL's they may or may not include with Windows (as a
        monopoly). That's a considerable difference.

        Microsoft has just moved the code making interference
        with their tying seem less palatable.

DOJ/MS -- The Market Imposes Its Own Solution

Post by Tracy R Re » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>What you see is the deft hand of MS working together with its major customers
>to make a fool out of DOJ and 20 state AG's.  Now that they have the lawsuits

Fortunately, the judge will recognize this just as we do.

Quote:>If you look at the points in the suits it is obvious that the government
>lawyers don't have a clue about the computer industry or its dynamics.  They in
>are way over their heads, and will pay the price for it.....

I have read the complaints. Looks like they know what they are doing to me.

Quote:>I hope you are wrong, but abuse of government power is nothing new.

Abuse of monopoly power is nothing new.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
"Windows NT 5.0 is an evolutionary, not revolutionary, release of the
Windows NT operating system. While there are important new features in
this release, version 5.0 will build on a proven system architecture and
incorporate tens of thousands of bug fixes from version 4.0."
Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/community/y2k.asp?A=7&B=5

DOJ/MS -- The Market Imposes Its Own Solution

Post by Craig Kell » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

->PLEASE WAKE UP AND BUY A CLUE!!!!

It seems that you are in dire need of one.

->MICROSOFT HAVE NEVER DICTATED THAT IT IS NOT ALLOWABLE TO INSTALL NETSCAPE
->ON A SYSTEM BY AN OEM.

Please read the DoJ complaints.

--
Wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

Post by Joe Ragos » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

> >What you see is the deft hand of MS working together with its major customers
> >to make a fool out of DOJ and 20 state AG's.  Now that they have the lawsuits

> Fortunately, the judge will recognize this just as we do.

> >If you look at the points in the suits it is obvious that the government
> >lawyers don't have a clue about the computer industry or its dynamics.
They in
> >are way over their heads, and will pay the price for it.....

> I have read the complaints. Looks like they know what they are doing to me.

> >I hope you are wrong, but abuse of government power is nothing new.

> Abuse of monopoly power is nothing new.

There's a good article in this week's InfoWorld which lists a lot of the
direct quotes from Microsoft execs.

--
Regards,
Joe Ragosta

DOJ/MS -- The Market Imposes Its Own Solution

Post by Simon Cook » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Ask Steve Ballimer to define the term "operating system."  References
>furnished upon request.

Operating System is a useless term in this day and age anyway.

Application Platform is a better one.

Simon