Microsoft's Big Stick in Peru

Post by Rick » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 01:59:48

Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

--
Rick

Post by Rick » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:25:41

>> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

>> <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

> Are you asking why a political appointee supports a big contributor to
> political campaigns in an election year?

No, I wanted someone else to state the obvious  :-)

--
Rick

Post by D. C. Session » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 04:04:51

> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

> <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

I *so* want to see the text of the letter from the US Ambassador.
I also suspect that Tsu would have a ball with it; she's fairly
familiar with Latin America and could probably make a fair guess
what will happen if the rest of the region gets the details.

Most of all, of course, I want that letter published all over
the continent because there's just about nothing that will
clarify the issues down there faster than the US government
trying to dictate the internal legislation of Latin nations.

--
|      An engineer is someone who will spend three hours        |
|      figuring out how to do a two-hour job in one hour.       |

Microsoft's Big Stick in Peru

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 04:40:42

Quote:>I *so* want to see the text of the letter from the US Ambassador.
>I also suspect that Tsu would have a ball with it; she's fairly
>familiar with Latin America and could probably make a fair guess
>what will happen if the rest of the region gets the details.

Just making its presence known is enough ...

Quote:>Most of all, of course, I want that letter published all over
>the continent because there's just about nothing that will
>clarify the issues down there faster than the US government
>trying to dictate the internal legislation of Latin nations.

Being able to flip a bird at the USA and save money on software
at the same time ... what an opportunity!

And it's the "Domino theory" all over again, except it's
Microsoft against a rag-tag army of pinguinistas instead of the
USA against the Viet Cong:  "why is Microsoft so worried about
what happens in Peru, should their efforts there fail?
"They are terrified," Villanueva told Wired News. "They insisted
once and again that Peru (represents) but an insignificant
portion of their total income. What worries them is the cascading
effect that could be triggered if a national state took such a
decision."

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
This message has been modified from its original version.
It has been formatted to fit your brain.

Post by cfswester » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 05:07:55

> > Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

> > <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

> I *so* want to see the text of the letter from the US Ambassador.
> I also suspect that Tsu would have a ball with it; she's fairly
> familiar with Latin America and could probably make a fair guess
> what will happen if the rest of the region gets the details.

> Most of all, of course, I want that letter published all over
> the continent because there's just about nothing that will
> clarify the issues down there faster than the US government
> trying to dictate the internal legislation of Latin nations.

> --
> |      An engineer is someone who will spend three hours        |
> |      figuring out how to do a two-hour job in one hour.       |

It would be sad if Peru went down the wrong path once again.  They need
WindowsXP and OfficeXP to catch up with the rest of  the world.

Post by cybea » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 05:22:11

>> --
>> |      An engineer is someone who will spend three hours        |
>> |      figuring out how to do a two-hour job in one hour.       |

> It would be sad if Peru went down the wrong path once again.  They need
> WindowsXP and OfficeXP to catch up with the rest of  the world.

I though you didn't want Peru to go down the wrong path?

Microsoft's Big Stick in Peru

Post by Super Spinne » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 05:26:50

Quote:> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

> <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

> --
> Rick

What the hell has this got to do with mac advocacy?

Post by Rick » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:12:11

>> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

>> <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

>> --
>> Rick

> What the hell has this got to do with mac advocacy?

Ihis can cause a loss of micro$oft marketshare.

If enough marketshare is lost, micro$oft's iron claw grip is lessened.

Once enough people figure out they can live without micro$oft's tyranny,
they will turn to other OS's. One of those will be MacOS, and MacOS may
be able to finally compete on merit against window$.

Apple may be able to convince some people an Open OS with a proprietary
windowing environment is almost as good as a fully Open OS.

And finally, -anthing- that causes m$ to lose marketshare is good for the
rest of the industry.
--
Rick

Post by GreyClou » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:37:00

> > > Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

> > > <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

> > I *so* want to see the text of the letter from the US Ambassador.
> > I also suspect that Tsu would have a ball with it; she's fairly
> > familiar with Latin America and could probably make a fair guess
> > what will happen if the rest of the region gets the details.

> > Most of all, of course, I want that letter published all over
> > the continent because there's just about nothing that will
> > clarify the issues down there faster than the US government
> > trying to dictate the internal legislation of Latin nations.

Oh yeah, sure...  And go back into a debt they can't pay
off.  The american taxpayer will be paying the bill.  At
least if they have to use proprietary o/s and software, they
should get OpenVMS or SunOs.

Post by Rick » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:38:36

>> > Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal
>> > monopolist?

>> > <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

>> I *so* want to see the text of the letter from the US Ambassador. I
>> also suspect that Tsu would have a ball with it; she's fairly familiar
>> with Latin America and could probably make a fair guess what will
>> happen if the rest of the region gets the details.

>> Most of all, of course, I want that letter published all over the
>> continent because there's just about nothing that will clarify the
>> issues down there faster than the US government trying to dictate the
>> internal legislation of Latin nations.

>> --
>> |      An engineer is someone who will spend three hours        |
>> |      figuring out how to do a two-hour job in one hour.       |

> It would be sad if Peru went down the wrong path once again.  They need
> WindowsXP and OfficeXP to catch up with the rest of  the world.

Why?
--
Rick

Microsoft's Big Stick in Peru

Post by yellow cak » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:41:10

7/27/02 9:12 PM:

>>> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

>>> <http://www.veryComputer.com/,1367,54141,00.html>

>>> --
>>> Rick

>> What the hell has this got to do with mac advocacy?

> Ihis can cause a loss of micro$oft marketshare.

> If enough marketshare is lost, micro$oft's iron claw grip is lessened.

> Once enough people figure out they can live without micro$oft's tyranny,
> they will turn to other OS's. One of those will be MacOS, and MacOS may
> be able to finally compete on merit against window$.

> Apple may be able to convince some people an Open OS with a proprietary
> windowing environment is almost as good as a fully Open OS.

> And finally, -anthing- that causes m$ to lose marketshare is good for the
> rest of the industry.

I agree, Rick. Anything that causes MS to lose marketshare is good for the
rest of the industry.

Super Spinner,open source is being considered in the UK gov., you did know
that, right? Please read the article at the URL below.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

It's not that I don't like MS, per se, I just don't like illegal
monopolistic bullies. History has shown that monopolies fail due to market
forces. What we are seeing now is, I hope, the beginning death throes of the
Microsoft *hold on the computer world. I will, and am, drinking to
that.

yc
--
"That's not what a Mac does. I want Mac on the PC,
I want Mac on the PC." -- Bill Gates

Post by chri » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:35:28

>>> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal
>>> monopolist?

>>> <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

>>> --
>>> Rick

>> What the hell has this got to do with mac advocacy?

> Ihis can cause a loss of micro$oft marketshare.

> If enough marketshare is lost, micro$oft's iron claw grip is lessened.

This is a software manufacturer, not the Taliban, Microsoft doesn't rule
my life, however they indirectly provide me with a job.

Quote:> Once enough people figure out they can live without micro$oft's tyranny,
> they will turn to other OS's. One of those will be MacOS, and MacOS may
> be able to finally compete on merit against window$.

Huh? Clueles, and to think that everyone will have to change their
hardware platform as well.

Quote:> Apple may be able to convince some people an Open OS with a proprietary
> windowing environment is almost as good as a fully Open OS.

Not quite, it is not an open OS. Almost doesn't count here, pal.

Quote:> And finally, -anthing- that causes m$ to lose marketshare is good for
> the rest of the industry.

And how is that? Let me quess, MS loses marketshare and I guess Sun steps
up to the plate, or maybe Slackware becomes the next big desktop OS. Come
on be realistic.

Chris

Post by Craig Kolle » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:45:42

> > Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

> > <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

> > --
> > Rick

> What the hell has this got to do with mac advocacy?

The industry has been defined by MS' iron death grip on it. That
influences Mac users (many of us who use Windows not by choice, but for
survival) and influences Mac adoption in education, home and the
enterprise. To see some chinks in the MS armor might begin to convince
some that yes, MS is mortal after all, and we should be making decisions
based on user needs, not capitulation and resignation that MS is and
will always be the supreme PC overlord.

"Open source" means free unix and linux, which is more compatible with
MacOS in the long run - and scares the sh*t out of MS who has no 'nix to
speak of. And a more subdued Microsoft (even if we have to let the rest
of the world do it for us) means the market might free up for real
competition and innovation again, which *would* be good news for Mac
users.

It would mean a reduction in software prices ($499 for Office? please)
and hopefully the adoption of non-proprietary document formats that can
be edited by various tools.

What's more American than competition? Yet somehow we've convinced
ourselves that in the PC realm, competition *isn't* good, isn't
"American" and surrendering as much as we have to MS will be good for
users.

MS is going to destroy itself trying to control the world. Then again,
you never know, they might just do it ... unless Peru has its way...

Post by Rick » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:13:15

>>> What the hell has this got to do with mac advocacy?

>> Ihis can cause a loss of micro$oft marketshare.

>> If enough marketshare is lost, micro$oft's iron claw grip is lessened.

> This is a software manufacturer, not the Taliban,

It is an illegally maintained monopoly that has successfully stifled
competition almost from its beginning.

Quote:> Microsoft doesn't rule
> my life, however they indirectly provide me with a job.

And?

Quote:

>> Once enough people figure out they can live without micro$oft's
>> tyranny, they will turn to other OS's. One of those will be MacOS, and
>> MacOS may be able to finally compete on merit against window$.

> Huh? Clueles, and to think that everyone will have to change their
> hardware platform as well.

Why will -everyone- have to change their hardware?

Quote:

>> Apple may be able to convince some people an Open OS with a proprietary
>> windowing environment is almost as good as a fully Open OS.

> Not quite, it is not an open OS. Almost doesn't count here, pal.

I'm sure you are the expert.

Quote:

>> And finally, -anthing- that causes m$ to lose marketshare is good for
>> the rest of the industry.

> And how is that? Let me quess, MS loses marketshare and I guess Sun
> steps up to the plate, or maybe Slackware becomes the next big desktop
> OS. Come on be realistic.

Sun, *nix, Apple, -Something Else- ...

--
Rick

Post by ross » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:57:48

> Now, why does the US government support a convicted illegal monopolist?

> <http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html>

I suspect that those that thought there might be a security leak in MS
software will now be even more suspicious.

BR

1. Help! I'm stuck with MICROSOFT!

I'm new to linux and I need help!  At work we need a mail/ftp server.  We
have a lame sysadmin who doesn't know linux so he's doing it with windows
NT 4.  Problem is...it crashes daily, the sysadmin comes in at night, and
I'm the one who has to deal with it.

I've used linux a bit, I've read alot about it, I've even installed redhat
linux on my home machine without any problems, but can someone tell me
where I can find detailed information on setting up a mail server and an
ftp server in linux?  I want something simple with examples because I'm not
a sysadmin and I don't have tons of time to put into this.

2. Converting mp3 bitrates on unix server

3. Bill 1609 will be good for Peru's economy: an open letter

4. Protecting the index.html

6. xdm

7. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

8. Packet sniffing

9. how do 'plug-ins' work?

10. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

11. How to use Toshiba's accupoint stick 'mouse' device?

12. Big Big Big CORE Image !!

13. I have a BIG, BIG,BIG problem with DOSEMU 0.98.5.