Sorry, but I am deleting Linux

Post by Fran » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

Post by Leo Comita » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
>after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
>vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
>friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
>even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
>moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

Your loss.

--
Leo Comitale
UofT CPE 9T6+PEY

Post by Da Bor » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
> after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
> vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
> friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
> even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
> moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

It is _very_ user friendly. It is just too picky about
who his friends are. :)

Be careful. I knew a person who willingly removed Linux
from his hard drive and his house has been haunted with
strange daemons since then, and every night the same nightmare
comes over and over again: a hord of big and hungry penguins
with knives and forks are chasing him all over a snow desert.
He went through all kinds of terapeutic and pcychoatric
treatments: nothing helped until he installed it again.

Beware!!!

Da Borg

--
#include <disclaimer.h>  |   *Good pings come in small packets*

Vancouver, B.C.     86 108 97 100 32 80 101 116 101 114 115 101 110

Post by David Griffi » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
: after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
: vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
: friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
: even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
: moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

This sounds a lot like you didn't even try.

--
David Griffith                  Visit Dave's Pizza Page

Do not spam me.  You will not like it.

Post by Russell Davi » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
: after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
: vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
: friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
: even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
: moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

Is "user-friendliness" the only criteria which you use to compare one OS
to another? If so, then yes.. you should go back to Win95. Even if you
are finding it difficult to interface with Linux, then just get someone
who knows what they're doing to set it up and configure it all for you,
then just run fvwm95 or some similar window manager which will make life
easier for you, I prefer console mode to be honest. Still things will and do
break, so you need to be able to handle it when things*up.

r.

Sorry, but I am deleting Linux

Post by BERMING » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
> after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
> vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
> friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
> even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
> moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

Hey---I deleted Windows 95 from a computer in favor of Linux.  I guess that
means I'm user-unfriendly?

Sorry, but I am deleting Linux

Post by Harl » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Frank,
  I am concerned by your post. I don't like seeing anyone giving
up on Linux. I truly believe Linux is the finest full and complete
operating system on the planet. However, I do realize Linux is still
a work in progress. I will give more full definition to this belief
if you request.

> I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux.

It what specific capacity did you think you had an alternative to
Win95 ? Was it performance ? Was it utility ? Was it robustness ?
Was it flexibility ?  Would you care to explain what you mean ?

Quote:> But after days of use I am determined to delete it.

"days" ? What criterion did you use to evaluate Linux ? Please be
specific in how you performed each step of this evaluation. And
out of curiousity, how many days ?

Quote:> Linux is just like DOS vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to
> Win95.

How so ? Which version of APPLE software have you installed in past ?
What problems did you have installing DOS in past ? What problems did you
have installing APPLE software in past ? What specific problems did you
have installing Linux ? Which version of Linux was it ?

Quote:> I have other friend who did the same thing.

Your friend did the same what thing ? Did he experience problems installing
DOS and APPLE software or did he experience problems installing Linux ?
If it was Linux, what version of Linux was it ? What specific problems
did he encounter ?

Quote:> Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not even in another life if it
> continues to be such user-unfriendly.

"Beat" ? What do you mean by your usage of the term "beat" in this
context ?
As far as "user-unfriendly"ness is concerned, that seems subjective
and relative to the circumstances, doesn't it ?
Then again, if you wanted a "point and click instant add water stop gap,
it'll do OS", then perhaps you are better off staying with Win95 at this
time and then trying Linux at a future date.

Quote:> The moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

No Frank, its only AN opinion and nothing more. Just as I have only
an opinion and nothing more...
But, another axiom you might consider is ...
"You only get out of something what you put into it..."  And "days"
in terms of evaluating a FULL and COMPLETE operating system like Linux
versus a partial implementation of what M$ insists is an operating system
like Win95, as a capacity of what you put into the evaluation is nothing...
Again, my opinion.

I can suggest that in future, should you decide to give Linux a reasonable
try and full evaluation, you use one of the readily available sources of
assistance. I would also suggest, you clearly develope what your
expectations are and ASK ahead of time. There are some excellent people
in the Linux newsgroups that I have watched and learned from over the past
several years and they consistently respond with high quality answers to
specific questions. They are one of Linux's greatest resources...

Regards,

Harley

Post by Ingo Molna » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
> after days of use I am determined to delete it. [...]

Have fun :) And dont forget, it costs you nothing to come back to the
freshest Linux version a year or two later. Maybe you will like that
one better, who knows?

-- mingo

Sorry, but I am deleting Linux

Post by fra.. » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:56:44 -0800, Da Borg

>Be careful. I knew a person who willingly removed Linux
>from his hard drive and his house has been haunted with
>strange daemons since then, and every night the same nightmare
>comes over and over again: a hord of big and hungry penguins
>with knives and forks are chasing him all over a snow desert.
>He went through all kinds of terapeutic and pcychoatric
>treatments: nothing helped until he installed it again.

>Beware!!!

>Da Borg

>--
>#include <disclaimer.h>  |   *Good pings come in small packets*

>Vancouver, B.C.     86 108 97 100 32 80 101 116 101 114 115 101 110

Could it be, perhaps, eventually, that you mixed up some things
slightly, and it wasn't "someone" who removed LINUX but it was Robert
Day, who from then on had to go around haunting us with stories about
Microsoft's miraculousy softwhen prodicts...?

franzd
Before I forget: All the texts I write have my copyright tag on them,
mine and only mine. No company, no databank, no network provider has
now or shall ever have any right to use my work.
I have to add this as now in Germany (and perhaps somewhere else as
well) some crooked providers and other companies try to get access on
other peoples' work. This is what I call a criminal behaveour.
*
Happiness is a cat purr.

Post by Ralph Leonhar » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>: I thought I had a alternative to Win95 when I first intalled Linux. But
>: after days of use I am determined to delete it.  Linux is just like DOS
>: vs APPLE to install and use when comparing it to Win95. I have other
>: friend who did the same thing.  Linux just won't beat Win95, never, not
>: even in another life if it continues to be such user-unfriendly.  The
>: moral: Never have high expectations for something like this.

Linux _is_ User friendly. It isn't beginner friendly.
That's the difference.
        :-)     Ralph

Sorry, but I am deleting Linux

Post by OS* pLinu » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I agree.  I am currently booting 95, NT4, and Linux.  I am new to Linux
(and any sort of Un*x).  It's hard for me.  But the goal is worth the
effort.  I *hate* being tied to Microsoft.  One day I will be free.  Why
give up when multiple-OS configuration is an option?  I'm just taking my
time, learning a little bit every day.

Quote:> Frank,
>   I am concerned by your post. I don't like seeing anyone giving
> up on Linux. I truly believe Linux is the finest full and complete
> operating system on the

1. I Am Very Sorry!!!

I would like to apologise to this newsgroup and everyone who reads this newsgroup!!! I promise never to post or send spam to this or any other newsgroup that does not pertain to my posting!!! Please accept my humble apology and again I will never post spam here again!!! Thank You!!!

Andrew Schero

2. Linux router

3. Tricky network problem (using loopback?)

4. HELP needed: Solaris PCI device driver, device not auto detected.

5. ipchains filter - am i doing this right? (Sorry)

6. User Survey for WWW Information Providers

7. OK, I am not giving up. SORRY!

8. I Am Very Sorry!!!

9. Sorry, I am too busy for the FAQ.

10. I Am Very Sorry!!!