AMD, Intel actively court Linux community to support 64 bit chips

AMD, Intel actively court Linux community to support 64 bit chips

Post by Linon » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 04:49:44

After takin' a swig o' grog, Jeff belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:>Chipmakers angle for Linux support
>Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
>In a sign of how strategic Linux has become, AMD and Intel
>(news/quote) are angling to lure open-source programmers to their
>future chip designs.
>Linux--with a strong developer community and a flexibility that allows
>the Unix clone to run on numerous chips--has become an asset the
>chipmakers want on their sides as they prepare future chip designs.
>Linux has become a tool to secure quick support for a new chip.

Gee, these open-source guys must have their shit together.
Why can't Microsoft support more chips??????

--
UNIX... Software for the *agile* business

AMD, Intel actively court Linux community to support 64 bit chips

Post by Terry Port » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 00:08:55

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:49:44 GMT, Linonut dashed off:

Quote:> After takin' a swig o' grog, Jeff belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>Chipmakers angle for Linux support
>>Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
>>In a sign of how strategic Linux has become, AMD and Intel
>>(news/quote) are angling to lure open-source programmers to their
>>future chip designs.
>>Linux--with a strong developer community and a flexibility that allows
>>the Unix clone to run on numerous chips--has become an asset the
>>chipmakers want on their sides as they prepare future chip designs.
>>Linux has become a tool to secure quick support for a new chip.

> Gee, these open-source guys must have their shit together.
> Why can't Microsoft support more chips??????

I suspect it is because of an alliance with Intel, that goes back
many years.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

AMD, Intel actively court Linux community to support 64 bit chips

Post by Linon » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:35:45

After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:>On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:49:44 GMT, Linonut dashed off:

>> Gee, these open-source guys must have their shit together.
>> Why can't Microsoft support more chips??????

>I suspect it is because of an alliance with Intel, that goes back
>many years.

But MS supported Alpha and MIPS for quite awhile...?

AMD, Intel actively court Linux community to support 64 bit chips

Post by Chronos Tachyo » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:25:29

Quote:> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:49:44 GMT, Linonut dashed off:

>>> Gee, these open-source guys must have their shit together.
>>> Why can't Microsoft support more chips??????

>>I suspect it is because of an alliance with Intel, that goes back
>>many years.

> But MS supported Alpha and MIPS for quite awhile...?

When nearly all software for an OS comes in binary form, it's not very
surprising when software makers target the most common architecture that
the OS runs under, creating a feedback loop that withers support for
alternative architectures.  Witness WinNT on Alpha, Solaris on Intel, etc.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

Post by Ed All » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 09:57:59

>On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:49:44 GMT, Linonut dashed off:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Jeff belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>>Chipmakers angle for Linux support
>>>Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
>>>In a sign of how strategic Linux has become, AMD and Intel
>>>(news/quote) are angling to lure open-source programmers to their
>>>future chip designs.
>>>Linux--with a strong developer community and a flexibility that allows
>>>the Unix clone to run on numerous chips--has become an asset the
>>>chipmakers want on their sides as they prepare future chip designs.
>>>Linux has become a tool to secure quick support for a new chip.

>> Gee, these open-source guys must have their shit together.
>> Why can't Microsoft support more chips??????

>I suspect it is because of an alliance with Intel, that goes back
>many years.

    More likely to be the maintenance of the Applications Barrier to
    Entry that they depend on to solidify their monopoly.

    Having multiple CPUs to support would require that the developers
    obtain hardware to compile and test on.  Every additional broadening
    of the hardware weakens the MS control and allows more developers to
    slip through the cracks to do things that might not support the
    monopoly and put money into their pocket without a percentage going
    to Redmond.

    MS must narrow the choices to limit the number of escape hatches.

    Every time they allow different hardware they also allow engineers
    working for companies that they may not have enrolled as
    conspirators in the monopoly yet to gain access to victims with the
    danger that those engineers might not have the proper 'money is
    the supreme good' philosophy to keep them from adding more escape
    hatches.

    Much easier to ignore all but a subset of the possible hardware
    which they have an established record with.

    They are flirting with AMD now trying to get Intel back in line
    but they really do not know if the AMD team would be willing to
    co-monopolize with them.

    Meanwhile Intel sees that the desktop market has ceased strong
    growth and will shortly stabilize at a trickle of new systems each
    year while the server arena, which MS has had little success in,
    is rapidly adopting Linux.

    Intel is being a good business and following the money to Linux
    themselves.

    It has not been lost on AMD that they have more opportunity with
    Linux as well.

    MS is not free to pull their board room extortion tricks with the
    anti-trust trial still going so they are trying to focus on the
    part of monopoly power that they can still wield, "Developers,
    developers, developers, developers, ..." because if they lose them
    then the monopoly will collapse like "protection" rackets do when
    the police start defending the victims from retribution.

    So next come the Developers.  When they start walking away and become
    more profitable instead of less the pyramid will collapse.

--
Microsoft is trying to add to the list of biggest lies of all time:
"Hi. I'm from Microsoft and I am here to protect you from the threat of