Andrew Leonard: "Life, liberty and the pursuit of free software"

Andrew Leonard: "Life, liberty and the pursuit of free software"

Post by Adam Warne » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:11:10

http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html

I knew Andrew would write about this ;-)

Adam

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:06:41

> http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html

> I knew Andrew would write about this ;-)

That is priceless.  DIY has always been one of my favorite
Americanisms, and the free software movement is a great DIY project to
be involved in.

Post by root » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:15:05

> http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html

> I knew Andrew would write about this ;-)

> Adam

And when MS IE was free that was bad why? In theory both of the actions,
MS and Linux, are the same. The difference is the media and bunch of
idiotic Linux advocates who thinks that the "free" anything is the way
to go. I've got news for you kiwi face, it was wrong then and it's wrong
now.

Divo

Post by root » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:23:40

> http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html

> I knew Andrew would write about this ;-)

> Adam

And when MS distributed their browser for free, then everybody
complained about it including Netscape. That was ok then, but it's not
ok now if MS complains about the free (well, at least in theory) Linux.
The only difference is the media and bunch of idiotic Linux advocates.
Take that and go pick some kiwi...

Divo

Andrew Leonard: "Life, liberty and the pursuit of free software"

Post by Steve Madin » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:56:56

:>
:> http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html
:>
:> I knew Andrew would write about this ;-)
:>
:> Adam

: And when MS distributed their browser for free, then everybody
: complained about it including Netscape. That was ok then, but it's not
: ok now if MS complains about the free (well, at least in theory) Linux.
: The only difference is the media and bunch of idiotic Linux advocates.
: Take that and go pick some kiwi...

No, the difference is that Linux's freeness isn't being used to prop up
some other (payed for) product.  Troll.

1. Andrew Leonard: "Microsoft: Free-software licenses are the devil's work!"

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/leon/2001/05/03/microsoft_gpl/index.html

Just three quotations:

"One could be tempted to chalk up the latest speech by Mundie as another
example of unintentional free-software marketing. But the speech is also a
clear indication of where Microsoft sees the fight for the future of the
software industry taking place. And contrary to Mundie's spin, this is not
about Microsoft's position being threatened by free software. It is,
instead, all about Microsoft's desire to move into territory that has
historically been dominated by free software -- in other words, the Net."

".NET is about creating an infrastructure on top of the Internet that is
wholly owned by Microsoft. It's about moving into a new territory and
establishing the kind of controlling beachhead that Microsoft already enjoys
in the world of productivity apps because of its dominance of desktop
operating systems. Once Microsoft begins to extend that beachhead, it will
be able to make a lot of money by charging for the use of it."

"Meanwhile, Microsoft's plaintive wail over the future of innovation is just
a smoke screen. What Microsoft really wants are new markets to dominate,
whether they be overseas or on the Net. And apparently the company sees the
GPL as standing in the way. But each attempt to demonize the GPL as the
enemy of Microsoft-style capitalism risks making the free-software movement
stronger instead."

Regards,
Adam

2. SunOS CMW

3. Riddle: When is "free" software not "free?"

4. filesystem fragmentation

5. Who's, Who in the "Free Software" / "Open Source" community

6. xwindows and exceed

7. "Free", "Open Source", and Philosophies of Software Ownership (long)

8. Transparent aterms, eterms etc

11. Can an executable "know" where it "lives"?

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

13. looking for a free "to to list"/"scheduler" type app