Software Licenses as Book Licenses

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:23:41

Microsoft:

You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it to
anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the book
in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.  The
book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

BSD:

You may do anything you like with the book including copy it, sell it, give it
away, even rewrite it or change it's name so long as you keep the original
authors copyright intact.  Oh, and don't sue us.

GPL:

You may read the book, copy the book or sell the book, but you may not
restrict anyone you sell or give copies to from doing the same.  If you so
much as quote a single word from the book, you must allow anyone to copy the
entire publication or any publications which quotes from your publication,
regardless of whether they copy the quote or not.  Oh, and don't sue us.

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:34:22

> > Microsoft:

> > You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it
> > anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the
book
> > in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.
The
> > book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
> > pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

> You might include "We'll SUE YOU LATER SUCKER and maybe get you thrown in
> jail!!!  You'll think we owned Penthouse the way we acted!!!"

> Oh, BTW, MS has threatened to file suits against anyone who attempts to
> resell the copy of Windows they got on their store bought machine!

That would be the "bundle" I mentioned.  You can resell the copy of windows,
you just have to sell the computer with it.

Quote:> Bundle or not!

Untrue.  The bundle includes the computer.  If you sell the computer, you sell
the OS with it.

Quote:> So I guess you BUY IT, YOU PAID FOR IT, BUT WE'LL TELL
> YOU WETHER YOU CAN RESELL IT OR NOT!!!  That's *ed.

Another shining example of Charlieland.

Quote:> > GPL:

> > You may read the book, copy the book or sell the book, but you may not
> > restrict anyone you sell or give copies to from doing the same.  If you so
> > much as quote a single word from the book, you must allow anyone to copy
the
> > entire publication or any publications which quotes from your publication,
> > regardless of whether they copy the quote or not.  Oh, and don't sue us.

> We will NOT sue you nor attempt to throw you in jail.
> Try the BSD thing here and you'll get a thumb in your ass buddy.

Oh, thumb in your ass is so much better than being sued.

Post by Charlie Ebe » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:45:19

>> > Microsoft:

>> > You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it
>> > anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the
> book
>> > in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.
> The
>> > book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
>> > pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

>> You might include "We'll SUE YOU LATER SUCKER and maybe get you thrown in
>> jail!!!  You'll think we owned Penthouse the way we acted!!!"

>> Oh, BTW, MS has threatened to file suits against anyone who attempts to
>> resell the copy of Windows they got on their store bought machine!

> That would be the "bundle" I mentioned.  You can resell the copy of windows,
> you just have to sell the computer with it.

>> Bundle or not!

> Untrue.  The bundle includes the computer.  If you sell the computer, you sell
> the OS with it.

>> So I guess you BUY IT, YOU PAID FOR IT, BUT WE'LL TELL
>> YOU WETHER YOU CAN RESELL IT OR NOT!!!  That's *ed.

> Another shining example of Charlieland.

NO!  I take task with you on this Erik.

If somebody wanted to buy the computer to use Linux and they
wanted to SELL their copy of XP to somebody else, that SHOULD
NOT INCLUDE SELLING THE COMPUTER YOU INTENDED TO USE WITH LINUX.

Quote:>> > GPL:

>> > You may read the book, copy the book or sell the book, but you may not
>> > restrict anyone you sell or give copies to from doing the same.  If you so
>> > much as quote a single word from the book, you must allow anyone to copy
> the
>> > entire publication or any publications which quotes from your publication,
>> > regardless of whether they copy the quote or not.  Oh, and don't sue us.

>> We will NOT sue you nor attempt to throw you in jail.
>> Try the BSD thing here and you'll get a thumb in your ass buddy.

> Oh, thumb in your ass is so much better than being sued.

I noticed you deleted the BSD comments.

This is another classic example of how Erik chooses to agree with you.
He deletes your comments hoping nobody would notice.

--

Charlie

Post by Richard Thripplet » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:42:46

>Microsoft:

>You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it to
>anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the book
>in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.  The
>book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
>pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

        Wow, you're being critical of MS! Congratulations, you're recovering
from 'beaten wife' syndrome ;)
Quote:>BSD:

>You may do anything you like with the book including copy it, sell it, give it
>away, even rewrite it or change it's name so long as you keep the original
>authors copyright intact.  Oh, and don't sue us.

>GPL:

>You may read the book, copy the book or sell the book, but you may not
>restrict anyone you sell or give copies to from doing the same.  If you so
>much as quote a single word from the book, you must allow anyone to copy the
>entire publication or any publications which quotes from your publication,
>regardless of whether they copy the quote or not.  Oh, and don't sue us.

        A rather good summation! Are you turning into a license troll now?

Richard
--
My .sig blatant plug
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~ret28

Post by Roy Cull » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:11:10

>>> So I guess you BUY IT, YOU PAID FOR IT, BUT WE'LL TELL
>>> YOU WETHER YOU CAN RESELL IT OR NOT!!!  That's *ed.

>> Another shining example of Charlieland.

> NO!  I take task with you on this Erik.

> If somebody wanted to buy the computer to use Linux and they
> wanted to SELL their copy of XP to somebody else, that SHOULD
> NOT INCLUDE SELLING THE COMPUTER YOU INTENDED TO USE WITH LINUX.

If nothing else the rememdy against MS should insist that the OS and
any other bundled SW is clearly indicated in the price and that they
are separate items.

Quote:> I noticed you deleted the BSD comments.

> This is another classic example of how Erik chooses to agree with you.
> He deletes your comments hoping nobody would notice.

EF has shown his true colours. Not content with lying and being a MS apologist
he now posts links in a vain attempt to denigrate those he cannot hope to
beat in a debate based on facts.

EF the biggest*to post on cola.

Software Licenses as Book Licenses

Post by Roy Cull » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:04:37

Quote:> Microsoft:

> You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it to
> anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the book
> in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.  The
> book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
> pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

> BSD:

> You may do anything you like with the book including copy it, sell it, give it
> away, even rewrite it or change it's name so long as you keep the original
> authors copyright intact.  Oh, and don't sue us.

> GPL:

> You may read the book, copy the book or sell the book, but you may not
> restrict anyone you sell or give copies to from doing the same.  If you so
> much as quote a single word from the book, you must allow anyone to copy the
> entire publication or any publications which quotes from your publication,
> regardless of whether they copy the quote or not.  Oh, and don't sue us.

You still here you lying sack of shit. Go away and come back when you learn
to be a descent human being.

Post by Tim Smit » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:48:33

>Microsoft:

>You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it to
>anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the book

However, the person you sell or give the book to can't sell or give it
away, if the book is Win XP.  See the section in the license on
transfers.

Quote:>in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.  The
>book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
>pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

Adobe tried to stop www.buycheapsoftware.com from acquiring (legally)
Adobe bundles and breaking them up, and got slapped down in court, so
this part of the license might not be enforceable.

--Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smit » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:50:03

>You still here you lying sack of shit. Go away and come back when you learn
>to be a descent human being.

He contributes more to this group than you do.  If you don't want to
see his posts, do everyone a favor and you go away.

--Tim Smith

Software Licenses as Book Licenses

Post by Nigel Feltha » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 21:18:40

Quote:>> Oh, BTW, MS has threatened to file suits against anyone who attempts to
>> resell the copy of Windows they got on their store bought machine!

> That would be the "bundle" I mentioned.  You can resell the copy of
> windows, you just have to sell the computer with it.

>> Bundle or not!

> Untrue.  The bundle includes the computer.  If you sell the computer, you
> sell the OS with it.

>> So I guess you BUY IT, YOU PAID FOR IT, BUT WE'LL TELL
>> YOU WETHER YOU CAN RESELL IT OR NOT!!!  That's *ed.

So if you upgrade your display card you are allowed to sell the old one
without the rest of the PC and the same applies to memory, monitor,
hard-drive, PSU, Case so what gives MS the right to stop customers
re-selling the OS when they replace it. All the hardware is bought below
individual retail cost because it's part of the bundle as well so how is
the customer expected to know there's one resale rule for the hardware and
another for software. That's Well *ed up.

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 23:45:14

> Where on earth did you get the impression I didn't understand
> what a copyright was?  Or a license?

> Well?

You cannot copyright someone else's code.  You can license it, however.

IanP