Yeah, but SCO code is non-migratory.... This is funny!

Post by My first Unix experience was SCO, but I like LInux » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:09:10

This was a posted in a thread at slashdot.org
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=67531&cid=6195199
It's 967AD and the restless SCO Villagers find a witch and are keen to burn her!
A secret meeting with Microsoft takes place to see if they can...

SCO: SCO Code! SCO Code! SCO Code! We've found SCO Code in Linux!
SCO LACKEY #1: We have found some SCO Code in Linux! May we burn it?
SCO: Burn the users! Burn! Burn it! Burn its users!
MICROSOFT: How do you know it is SCO Code?
SCO LACKEY #2: It looks like it.
SCO: Right! Yeah! Yeah!
MICROSOFT: Bring it forward.
GPL'd CODE: I'm not SCO Code. I'm not!
MICROSOFT: Uh, but you are dressed as such.
GPL'd CODE: They dressed me up like this.
SCO: Augh, we didn't! We didn't...
GPL'd CODE: And these aren't my comments. They're false ones.
MICROSOFT: Well?
SCO LACKEY #1: Well, we did do the comments.
MICROSOFT: The comments?
SCO LACKEY #1:  And the copyright lines, but it is SCO Code!
SCO LACKEY #2:  Yeah!
SCO: We burn it! Right! Yeaaah! Yeaah!
MICROSOFT: Did you dress it up like this?
SCO:  No! No. No. No. No. No. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yeah, a bit. A bit. It does look like UNIX though.
MICROSOFT: What makes you think it is SCO Code?
SCO LACKEY #3: Well, it turned me into Windows!
MICROSOFT: Windows?
SCO LACKEY #3: I got better.
SCO LACKEY #2: Burn it anyway!
SCO LACKEY #1: Burn!
SCO: Burn it! Burn! Burn it!...
MICROSOFT: Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether it is SCO Code.
SCO LACKEY #1: Are there?
SCO LACKEY #2: Ah?
SCO LACKEY #1: What are they?
SCO: Tell us! Tell us!...
MICROSOFT: Tell me. What do you do with SCO Code?
SCO: Compile it! Compile it! Compile! Complie!...
MICROSOFT: And what do you compile apart from SCO Code?
SCO LACKEY #1: More SCO Code!
SCO LACKEY #3: Shh!
SCO LACKEY #2: BSD Code!
MICROSOFT: So, why does SCO Code compile?
    [pause]
SCO LACKEY #3: B--... 'cause its copied from... BSD?
MICROSOFT: Good! Heh heh.
SCO: Oh, yeah. Oh.
MICROSOFT: So, how do we tell whether it is copied from BSD?
SCO LACKEY #1:  See if it builds with gcc?
MICROSOFT: Ah, but can you not also build Linux with gcc?
SCO LACKEY #1: Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. True. Uhh...
MICROSOFT: Does BSD come under the GPL license?
SCO LACKEY #1: No. No.
SCO LACKEY #2: No, its free! We can do what we want with it commercially!
MICROSOFT: And what else are you free to use commercially?
SCO: Bread! Apples! Uh, very small rocks! Cider! Uh, gra-- gravy! Cherries! Mud! Uh, churches! Churches! Lead! Lead!
ARTHUR: Your Own Code!
SCO: Oooh.
MICROSOFT: Exactly. So, logically...
SCO LACKEY #1: If... it... has... been released by us commerically,... it's made of SCO Code.
MICROSOFT: Yes, and have you released it commercially?
SCO LACKEY #2: Yes! In our Linux Distribution!
SCO LACKEY #1: SCO Code! SCO Code! SCO Code! SCO Code! SCO Code! Burn it! Burn the users!

Yeah, but SCO code is non-migratory.... This is funny!

My first Unix experience was SCO, but I like LInux! wrote on Saturday 14

Quote:> This was a posted in a thread at slashdot.org
> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=67531&cid=6195199
> It's 967AD and the restless SCO Villagers find a witch and are keen to
> burn her!
> A secret meeting with Microsoft takes place to see if they can...

<G>

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Yeah, but SCO code is non-migratory.... This is funny!

Post by linuxsal » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:40:55

obquote: 'and who are YOU,  who are so wise in the ways of science? - sir
bedevere

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Telnetd messup.

3. Elitism and Other Points

5. network unreachable :O( ( but localhost works fine )

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. 2nd CFV and VOTE ACK: comp.arch.storage

11. I am si**y am I?

12. Yes, I am stupid (sometimes)