FCC forces Ham radio operators to use ...

FCC forces Ham radio operators to use ...

Post by mjt » Fri, 03 May 2002 16:33:56

... windows ...

"My complaint was that certain functionality
on the site is not available to me because I
use Linux instead of Windows. I never received
a response from any commissioner."

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0401.fcc.html

--
+==================================
+==================================

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Sat, 04 May 2002 03:22:07

> ... windows ...

> "My complaint was that certain functionality on the site is not
> available to me because I use Linux instead of Windows. I never received
> a response from any commissioner."

> http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0401.fcc.html

Just another example of a government regulatory agency completely out of
touch with the industry segment it's supposed to regulate.  Not a clue,
and no hope of accidentally stumbling across one either.

Post by Charles Shannon Hendri » Sat, 04 May 2002 04:18:21

> ... windows ...

> "My complaint was that certain functionality
> on the site is not available to me because I
> use Linux instead of Windows. I never received
> a response from any commissioner."

> http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0401.fcc.html

This kind of thing is actually becoming pretty common.  Until Adobe
released a reasonably working acroread for Linux, I could not use a
number of government forms for my state.

There are state and federal web sites that won't work right without
Windows, even some that give IE on a Mac trouble, which is truly sad.

The day is coming when Microsoft software will be mandated.

If you think about it, mandating it on the job is a violation of your
rights.

Any of you a member of the IEEE or the ACM?  I am, and thought about a
couple of things awhile back:

* Their membership rules state you must not knowingly or deliberately
  use faulty or poorly designed software.
* Both organizations violate their own rules.

Still, both are trying to give their software professionalism policy the
weight of law by making it part of an official software "guild" of
sorts.

If that happens, I wonder if they will start following the rules
themselves (IEEE and ACM software, their web sites, are horrible in
places) and will this do anything for us at work?

1. TNT V0.9 Packet Radio Hostmode Terminal (Ham Radio)

Announcing TNT V0.9 for Linux
-----------------------------

TNT - A Hostmode Terminal Program for Packet Radio

Packet Radio is a name for a packet oriented data protocol used
in Ham Radio. It is a special adaption of the X.25 protocol.

TNT does NOT implement this protocol, it needs a TNC (Terminal Node
Controller) with WA8DED Software or The Firmware by NORD><LINK.
TNT uses the hostmode which is implemented in these TNC-Firmwares
(The Firmware is available for all TNC2-clones, AEA PK232 and PK88).

TNT has totally different goals than the existing programs or kernel
extensions (Wampes, NOS, KA9Q, AX25 kernel driver, e.t.c.).
TNT does not use the packet radio connection as an additional network
interface of Linux, it is simply a program to make packet radio connections
with a comfortable user interface (I hope so...).

In release 0.9 many new features were implemented, but still TNT is in the
development phase, the implemented features are quite stable, but new
features are under test and not yet released.

TNT features:
- uses Linux console or termcap entries, runs from remote terminals
- no special kernel requirements, no patches needed
- virtual screens for all connections, for commands and for monitoring
- scrollback buffer on all virtual screens
- logging of received data
- sending of files
- connect text with macros for time, callsign e.t.c.
- fortune cookie sending if someone connects
- remote commands
- remote login to Linux
- redirection of input/output of a connection
- binary file transfer
- logbook
- connect script
- internet socket, use of TNT by a user of a different host
- extended monitor to read other connections on the frequency
- boxlist, help for using BBS's
- NETROM/TheNet header analysis
- heard list
- keyboard macros
- password generation

TNT is available via anonymous ftp from
   quepasa.cs.tu-berlin.de (130.149.17.7)
in directory
   pub/linux/hamradio/packet-radio
with name
   tntsrc09.tgz (tar-gzip-archive)

This program is a little try to give back to the Linux community what the
Linux community has given to me (bringing back the fun to computing).

Your comments, ideas, code changes, new features are very welcome!

Best 73 from Mark, DL4YBG

(My internet access was down for 2 month, but now it is working again)

2. Problem : high load (>7) without big process or disk usage

3. Ham Radio

4. improving O(1)-J9 in heavily threaded situations

5. Linux apps for 2M ham radio packet, etc?

6. slow "warm up" on starting processes

7. Linux & Ham-Radio (BayCom)

8. beep without a terminal

9. Ham radio networking with linux

10. Unix ham radio control program

11. Linux & HAM Radio

12. Ham radio software for Linux?

13. Static FM Radio using ivtv-radio on Hauppauge PVR-350