Incredible News: Linux is a best seller!!!

Post by Richard Godbee, J » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>    Actually from what I've seen (and I'll admit it's not too much)
>FreeBSD and Linux seem to be about head to head, although I liked FreeBSD
>very much when it was running on our Suns.

Perhaps you mean NetBSD or OpenBSD.  FreeBSD on runs on PCs in the
i386 family.  NetBSD, on the other hand, runs on 17 platforms.  (See
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/)  OpenBSD does 11 platforms.  (See
http://www.openbsd.org/plat.html)

--
Richard Godbee, Jr.

Incredible News: Linux is a best seller!!!

Post by Michael Kozlows » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Windows 95 upgrade is twice on the list? The first time it's a CD
>version. And the second time it comes on what? I've never heard they
>sell it on floppies.

They do.  It doesn't have some of the extra stuff in it, though.

--

Recommended SF Reading at: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~mlk/sfbooks.html
"Alzheimer's Sufferers Demand Cure for Pancakes" - www.theonion.com

Post by Nathan Han » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >dont worry we'll be getting there ... a year ago it was
> >nowhere, today it's 'only on par with DOS 6 upgrades', in
> >a year it will be selling 'only 10% better than NT 5.0'.

> >not that Linux hackers care much ;)

> Nor should they - they have invented the 2nd best OS around.

> ;-)

Nononono. Solaris was invented independently by Sun. Linux is still
the 1st best OS around.

--
The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use
a given tool without training or understanding is even more wrong for

Post by Tony Tribel » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > The subject says it all:

> > Complete Red Hat Linux, by Simon & Schuster, is a best seller.

> > Check it out at http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?CRW19970818S0020

> Yeah!! 4th Place!!!
> Well It's in the Top 5!!???!!!

Correction, 4th. place in the DOS and OS/2 category only, 2nd. place is the
MS-DOS 6 upgrade. That should provide a little clue about the importance of
this category. :-)

Tony
------------------
Tony Tribelli

Post by Richard Wic » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> wrote in comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy:

>>: IOW, Linux is selling about as well as DOS 6 upgrades.

>>dont worry we'll be getting there ... a year ago it was
>>nowhere, today it's 'only on par with DOS 6 upgrades', in
>>a year it will be selling 'only 10% better than NT 5.0'.

>>not that Linux hackers care much ;)

> Nor should they - they have invented the 2nd best OS around.

> ;-)

> John Wiltshire

        Yes, we all mourn the demise of OS/2, if only IBM bastardized it to
run NT software.  Or were you talking about FreeBSD, because FreeBSD seems
only to be slightly more stable under x86, and to be honest I've never
been able to crash my Linux box; in short I think that the FreeBSD'ers
are pushing the superiority of the OS a little more than I think they have
a right to.  Besides Linux has greater compatibility with peripheral cards
than FreeBSD at the moment.

        Actually from what I've seen (and I'll admit it's not too much)
FreeBSD and Linux seem to be about head to head, although I liked FreeBSD
very much when it was running on our Suns.

-Rich

-----
Definition of hell: debugging an NT a real time driver through a serial
  port.  yeesh!

Post by Ragib Rafsanja » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >Windows 95 upgrade is twice on the list? The first time it's a CD
> >version. And the second time it comes on what? I've never heard they
> >sell it on floppies.

> They do.  It doesn't have some of the extra stuff in it, though.

> --

> Recommended SF Reading at: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~mlk/sfbooks.html
> "Alzheimer's Sufferers Demand Cure for Pancakes" - www.theonion.com

I've seen it too. They have everything except for the Multimedia
stuff, but they have pretty much eeverything else...

Post by Richard Wic » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>>        Actually from what I've seen (and I'll admit it's not too much)
>>FreeBSD and Linux seem to be about head to head, although I liked FreeBSD
>>very much when it was running on our Suns.

> Perhaps you mean NetBSD or OpenBSD.  FreeBSD on runs on PCs in the
> i386 family.  NetBSD, on the other hand, runs on 17 platforms.  (See
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/)  OpenBSD does 11 platforms.  (See
> http://www.openbsd.org/plat.html)

        Ah, you caught me.  It was a BSD variant of some sort but to be
entirely honest I couldn't tell you which one.  This brings up an interesting
point, WHY are there different BSD variants?  With Linux different groups
produce different distributions but doesn't Berkeley produce and control
all the variants?  Why do they have FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc?  What are the
differences?

-Rich

Post by Sang K. Ch » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

:
: : IOW, Linux is selling about as well as DOS 6 upgrades.
:
: dont worry we'll be getting there ... a year ago it was
: nowhere, today it's 'only on par with DOS 6 upgrades',

Of course the other way to look at this is that DOS/OS/2 products have
dropped low enough that the DOS 6 upgrades are at the same level as
the Linux sales.. :-)

-- Sang.

Incredible News: Linux is a best seller!!!

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Wicks <_sp> writes:

  Richard>   Ah, you caught me.  It was a BSD variant of some sort
  Richard> but to be entirely honest I couldn't tell you which one.
  Richard> This brings up an interesting point, WHY are there
  Richard> different BSD variants?

What it came down to is there were several reactions to the AT&T
vs. lawsuit against Berkeley.

Some people continued to use the encumbered code from 386BSD, slowly
replacing it, and some immediately threw it away and begain to rewrite
it.   One of these is FreeBSD and the other is NetBSD, I can't
remember who did what.  OpenBSD was a later split (ObMontyPython:
"splitters!")  which was, I think, political.   Full details are
available in the FreeBSD FAQ.  See http://www.freebsd.org/.

                                       With Linux different groups
  Richard> produce different distributions but doesn't Berkeley
  Richard> produce and control all the variants?  Why do they have

Berkeley never _controlled_ them (see the BSD copyright for why).
In any case, the Berkeley CSRG has now been disbanded, I think.
4.4BSD was the last Berkeley release, I think.

  Richard> FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc?  What are the differences?

Even before the lawsuit there were many BSDs -- BSDI's BSD/386,
William Jolitz's 386BSD.  NetBSD may have preexisted, plus there are
the other BSD-derivatives SunOS and HP-UX (kernel only, originally
4.2BSD).  More details in the FAQ, see above.