Linux ext3 filesystem munched my drive.

Post by Chad Meye » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 23:58:14

I guess it's not as robust a filesystem as I have been lead to
believe.
Good thing I have a current tape back up but I think I might switch to
reiser filesystem instead.
I've never had an NTFS filesystem puke this bad.
Chad Meyers

Post by Hagbard Celin » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:54:12

> I guess it's not as robust a filesystem as I have been lead to
> believe.

What are you talking about? Huh? Oh! The "Linux ext3" filesystem! Nice of
you to emphasize it to those of us who don't recognize our most popular fs.
Some of us might have mistaken it for a FreeBSD-fs or something...

Sure as hell, a lying troll needs his serving of doo-doo, and since the Rock
isn't handing out freebies these days, I'll deliver the smack-down! Punk!

Quote:> Good thing I have a current tape back up but I think I might switch to
> reiser filesystem instead.

That's "Reiserfs" to you, good sir!

Quote:> I've never had an NTFS filesystem puke this bad.

Then I guess you never had a "Microsoft Windows NTFS 4/5", period!

--
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.8p1
Linux 2.5.70 i686 AMD Athlon(TM)Processor GNU/Linux

Post by mlw » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:05:25

> I guess it's not as robust a filesystem as I have been lead to
> believe.

Odd, you do know that the ext3 file system is actually ext2 with some
journalling.

You've been around for a while, otherwise I would be a bit more skeptical.

Have any details? I'm curious. (I'm a consultant and I recommend Linux, I'd
like to know what you saw.)

Quote:> Good thing I have a current tape back up but I think I might switch to
> reiser filesystem instead.

Reiser is a better choice for a file system with lots of small files. Ext2
is best for databases like Oracle and PostgreSQL. Ext3 is really good
systems which store a lot of largish files.

Quote:> I've never had an NTFS filesystem puke this bad.

I wish I could say that, I have had a good number catastrophe moments with
NTFS.
Quote:> Chad Meyers

Linux ext3 filesystem munched my drive.

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:53:12

'Nuff said.
--
[tv]

"This has been a test of the Micro$oft Outlook Virus System. Had this been an
actual virus, you would have been... well, you would have been fscked."