Windows Tip #1

Post by Charlie Ebe » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:23:43

The newbie Linux user sometimes has the need for doing backups
on other computers.  This is when a makes a TAR file and sends
it thru a network pipe to another machine in his house.

The tip is, if your backing up a 3-4 gig section of data to
three machines and those three machines happen to be a W2k machine,
a Win 98 machine and a RedHat 7.1 machine you should be advised
of the following....

In order to make them all complete the taring process at the same
time you should start the tar transfer to the W2K machine first.

After 10 minues have passed start the tar to the Win 98 machine.

Finally in the last 13 minutes of transfer, launch off the tar
backup to the RedHat 7.1 machine.

That's IT!

And you tar backups will all finish within one minute of each
other!

And that concludes my helpful Linux newbie tip for the day!

Look for more important Linux/Windows compatibility tips
in the future.

Until then, happy computing!!!

--
Charlie
-------

Windows Tip #1

Post by Pete Goodwi » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 06:22:26

Here's my Linux tip #1

Don't bother.

--
Pete Goodwin

Windows Tip #1

Post by Pete Goodwi » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:35:50

>>Here's my Linux tip #1

>>Don't bother.

> ...using Windows. Install Linux and be gay and merry.

And wonder why you can't do anything?

--
Pete Goodwin
Running Linux Mandrake 8.0

Windows Tip #1

Post by Charlie Ebe » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:32:54

>>>Here's my Linux tip #1

>>>Don't bother.

>> ...using Windows. Install Linux and be gay and merry.

>And wonder why you can't do anything?

>--
>Pete Goodwin
>Running Linux Mandrake 8.0

Appearently the term "Pete Goodwin" is yet another equivalent
for the term "Dumb Ass".

--
Charlie
-------

Windows Tip #1

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:38:01

> Appearently the term "Pete Goodwin" is yet another equivalent
> for the term "Dumb Ass".

Well, "Pete Goodwin" is a specific type of "Dumb Ass".  All "Pete
Goodwin" is is a "Dumb Ass" with all kinds of member functions added
that do different types of whining about Linux.  Otherwise, the
constructors are the same, I believe.

Windows Tip #1

Post by Charlie Ebe » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:58:00

>> Appearently the term "Pete Goodwin" is yet another equivalent
>> for the term "Dumb Ass".

>Well, "Pete Goodwin" is a specific type of "Dumb Ass".  All "Pete
>Goodwin" is is a "Dumb Ass" with all kinds of member functions added
>that do different types of whining about Linux.  Otherwise, the
>constructors are the same, I believe.

>-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

This was the first time me and another guy simultaneously,
without coordination declared Pete Goodwin a dumbass.

You'd think the guy was on an even par with Jesus for
that luck.

--
Charlie
-------

Windows Tip #1

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:10:18

> >>Here's my Linux tip #1

> >>Don't bother.

> > ...using Windows. Install Linux and be gay and merry.

> And wonder why you can't do anything?

Sounds like a personal problem.

Quote:

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Windows Tip #1

Post by gree » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:50:52

> > Appearently the term "Pete Goodwin" is yet another equivalent
> > for the term "Dumb Ass".

> Well, "Pete Goodwin" is a specific type of "Dumb Ass".  All "Pete
> Goodwin" is is a "Dumb Ass" with all kinds of member functions added
> that do different types of whining about Linux.  Otherwise, the
> constructors are the same, I believe.

Make sure You read the licensing agreement before using though.

1. Tips for tip

I am having trouble connecting to remote systems using tip. I create an
entry in /etc/remote for my remote system. The modem does dial and I
receive a carrier detect and also the message connected 14400 LAPM
then the modem hangs up and I see the message call failed.

I am able to connect using cu without a problem

I have even tried programming the answering modem with an at&d0 I guess I
read somewhere that tip drops dtr once connected to establish a login
propmt but even this wasnt worked for me.

I am using multitech ZDX modem (Hayes compatiable) on Solaris x86 2.5

Does anybody have any tips on TIP

Thanks in advance

2. Connect 2 ethercards with RJ-45 crossed cable ?

3. TIPS FOR HEALTHY AND BEAUTY TIPS

4. drag and drop functionality?

5. Need a tip for tip

6. retaining vi screen in konsole?

7. Tip -no not tips and tricks!

8. Rage Pro and XFree4.0.x

9. Tip for QueCDrom X-windows config

10. A tip on a Free X-windows Server

11. TIP: Using fonts from Windows partition

12. Tip for setting up X-windows with Trident 975 3DImage AGP

13. Cable Modem & Windows NT Speed Tips