Another Vote for Linux

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Situation: Installing an old Maxtor LXT-340A hard drive (CHS, mode 0).
           An old drive that has been tortured running a 24/7 server.

Windows95: Total system lockup with resulting loss of data.
           No messages, nothing. Scandisk finds nothing. Defrag fails.
           Tried FAT/VFAT/FAT32 - same results.

Linux v2.1.32: Disk error messages indicating bad sectors on cylinder 1.
               No system lockup - just a lot of messages that eventually
               stop when the operation fails.

Solution: Partition drive starting at cylinder 2. Works great!
          Formatted it as ext2.

          Could have used "badblocks" instead, but it was not
          catching all the bad sectors when run. Decided to play
          it safe and ignore the entire cylinder.

Comment: Even on this old drive, ext2 is a bazillion times faster
         under Linux than any native Win95 fs under Win95!

Score: Linux wins hands down. Of course.

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

1. Linux and Quake3 - Need a vote for Linux!

Hi all,

Be sure to check out the latest announcement from ID regarding their
schedule and implementation of the game Quake3 across platforms (ie.
Mac and Linux).  It does pose a dilemma for those of us who want to
play the game on both Windows and Linux.  (i.e. should I wait and buy
the Linux version or run to the store and buy the first version
available so I can get in on the action?).  I guess it depends on how
long the wait turns out to be.  You'll find the info at either
www.bluesnews.com or www.linuxgames.com.

Bill Nussbaumer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Modem sometimes goes on-hook?

3. I **VOTE LINUX** (Linux users read)

4. HELP: pppd dialup server wont work, but dialout ppp DOES !

5. A new C development tool - control system

6. Information Week survey: get your vote for Linux!

7. Compilation error 1394 with 2.4.21-pre5

8. Vote for Linux #1 1995 OS

9. Vote for Linux

10. Information Week survey: get your vote for Linux!

11. Vote for Linux Today!

12. Vote: Which Linux OS Best?