Install-problem: Can′t find CD-ROM

Post by Matthias Behma » Mon, 01 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I try to install Red Hat Linux 4.2 onto my 386DX40. The boot-disk runs
properly, but when i try to install my cd-rom-player (a Sony cdu33)
Linux cant find it anywhere!
Matthias Behmann

Post by Insectus Penti » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: I try to install Red Hat Linux 4.2 onto my 386DX40. The boot-disk runs
: properly, but when i try to install my cd-rom-player (a Sony cdu33)
: Linux cant find it anywhere!
: Matthias Behmann

Try Slackware. Red Hat assumes too much about the config of the computer,
and my biggest beef is how Red Hat forces you to install LILO, which *s
up hard drives. If Red Hat was any worse, I'd call it a Trojan Horse
proggie.

Note for Red Hat fans: Just becuse you can get LILO to work doesn't mean
everyone else can. I own a Red Hat album, and tried it out. That's how I
know about the enforced use of LILO. All email lames will be posted.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
                     "A man's car is his battleship"

4126545 bytes of spam mail deleted.       http://www.veryComputer.com/~pentius/

Install-problem: Can′t find CD-ROM

Post by Mats Andtbac » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Try Slackware. Red Hat assumes too much about the config of the computer,
>and my biggest beef is how Red Hat forces you to install LILO, which *s
>up hard drives. If Red Hat was any worse, I'd call it a Trojan Horse
>proggie.

_my_ beef with RH is they require you install too much shit.

their Perl package requires, for some inscrutable reason, not only
csh, but BSD db. makes a man wonder why people bother with bash and
gdbm. all their nifty (and in and of themselves useful) X11-dependent
config tools need python, a package not needed by anything else in the
civilized world. don't get me started on slang.

that said, RedHat is a *really* cool system with a bunch of flaws; i
use it gladly, have paid for two boxed sets already and will pay for a
third as soon as their glibc distrib stabilizes. i just wish they
wouldn't use that infernal "clean source code" policy, because it's
braindamaged and *s them up. it destroys uniformity in several
really annoying ways. RH, if you're listening - dump that idiocy and
enforce uniformity across the board. for your own sakes. don't make
people install two or more packages to do the same one thing.

every distribution has snags you have to correct first thing after
installing it; the more you know about Linux in general and your
distribution in particular, the more of these there will be and the
longer it'll take to correct them. fixing up a clean RH install to
where i like it takes me a day or three by now. i could go back to
slackware, but in a matter of a month or two i'd've learned enough
about it that fixing _it_ up to where i liked it would take at least
as long. or longer - RedHat, all told, is fairly close to my liking.

Quote:>Note for Red Hat fans: Just becuse you can get LILO to work doesn't mean
>everyone else can.

it's not luck, it's skill and knowledge. reading the LILO docs help.
--
        "Yes i'm lonely..."
                _Yer Blues_, Lennon / McCartney

Post by Insectus Penti » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: _my_ beef with RH is they require you install too much shit.

How about the X11 stuff. I was evaluating it on a small (130M) hard drive
to see it work with LILO. (Which they require, making my beef.)

: longer it'll take to correct them. fixing up a clean RH install to
: where i like it takes me a day or three by now. i could go back to
: slackware, but in a matter of a month or two i'd've learned enough
: about it that fixing _it_ up to where i liked it would take at least
: as long. or longer - RedHat, all told, is fairly close to my liking.

I learned on Slackware first, which is why I like it. I know it better
than Red Hat or Debian.

: >Note for Red Hat fans: Just becuse you can get LILO to work doesn't mean
: >everyone else can.

: it's not luck, it's skill and knowledge. reading the LILO docs help.

I never said it was luck. While reading the docs would be useful for using
LILO on Slackware while you use Loadlin is fine, Red Hat FORCES you to use
LILO and doesn't make a boot floppy. Instead you use the install disk and
a suppliment disk to break in while you fight with LILO. Red Hat for it to
install on the first try, you need a mythical stereotypical computer that
exists only at Red Hat Ltd.

--

4252267 bytes of spam mail deleted.       http://www.ripco.com/~pentius/

Post by Mark Godfrey At Cyber Ware Lt » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>Try Slackware. Red Hat assumes too much about the config of the computer,
>and my biggest beef is how Red Hat forces you to install LILO, which *s
>up hard drives. If Red Hat was any worse, I'd call it a Trojan Horse
>proggie.

        try installing lilo to a floppy if you don't trust it with
        your HD.

Quote:>Note for Red Hat fans: Just becuse you can get LILO to work doesn't mean
>everyone else can. I own a Red Hat album, and tried it out. That's how I
>know about the enforced use of LILO. All email lames will be posted.

        Once installed,  you can easily change the boot manager.

Mark.

Install-problem: Can′t find CD-ROM

Post by Rick Forriste » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Emailed and posted...

> : I try to install Red Hat Linux 4.2 onto my 386DX40. The boot-disk runs
> : properly, but when i try to install my cd-rom-player (a Sony cdu33)
> : Linux cant find it anywhere!
> : Matthias Behmann

> Try Slackware. Red Hat assumes too much about the config of the computer,
> and my biggest beef is how Red Hat forces you to install LILO, which *s
> up hard drives. If Red Hat was any worse, I'd call it a Trojan Horse
> proggie.

> Note for Red Hat fans: Just becuse you can get LILO to work doesn't mean
> everyone else can. I own a Red Hat album, and tried it out. That's how I
> know about the enforced use of LILO. All email lames will be posted.

Post anything you please.  You're wrong.  One of the LILO options under
the Red Hat installation is "Don't install LILO".

It's not just Red Hat installations that make use of LILO, either.
Users of Slackware, Debian, Caldera, SuSE, LST, and others do, also.

Quote:> --
> CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
>                      "A man's car is his battleship"

> 4126545 bytes of spam mail deleted.       http://www.veryComputer.com/~pentius/

The fact that you couldn't get something (LILO, in this case) does not
make you qualified to judge either a distribution or it's users.

--

You might be a redneck if: your richest relative buys a new house
and you have to help take the wheels off...          Jeff Foxworthy