Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by kiwiunixma » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:09:20



*ing hell! I can't believe it, I had to double check this post, and
yes it is definately from him/her.    What next, Chad declares that he
is actually a partially bald, 40 something who is a UNIX admin, my god,
Claire has seen the light!

kiwiunixman


> As of Mandrake 7.2:

> 1. Internet Connection Sharing is at least as easy to set up as it is
> under Windows.
> 2. Canon Printers seem well supported by Cups.
> 3. Sound blaster Live more or less works from default install.
> 4. Monitor/Video card easy.
> 5.Wheel Mouse easy (Logitech users choose Intellimouse not Logitech)
> 6. No brainer installation onto an already setup with Windows system.
> I purposely tried to kill the Windows partition and it warned me twice
> each time. Boot loader worked fine with Win2k.

> Ok so I now decree, in public not to whine about any of the above
> because evidently somebody at Mandrake has been listening to my rants.
> I find it a big coincidence that almost ALL my rantings get fixed in
> one release.

> Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug your
> mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird :)

> claire

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:11:14



>As of Mandrake 7.2:

>1. Internet Connection Sharing is at least as easy to set up as it is
>under Windows.

Cool. Haven't tried it but sounds promising.  Do they have dial-on-demand
setup ? pppd can be configured to do this and it's really nice.

Quote:>2. Canon Printers seem well supported by Cups.

Printer support is improving but is still spotty.

Quote:>4. Monitor/Video card easy.

Only if the video card is compatible. (that's if-and-only-if).

I think the video card compatibility situation has actually been pretty good
for the most part over the past two years or so. The main thing that's new in
Mandrake is 3d support OOTB for some video cards.

Quote:>Ok so I now decree, in public not to whine about any of the above
>because evidently somebody at Mandrake has been listening to my rants.S

Hahahaha ... as if they'd bother to listen to the noise here.

Quote:>I find it a big coincidence that almost ALL my rantings get fixed in
>one release.

I don't. Do you think that you were the only person concerned about hardware
compatibility/support/auto-configuration and dialup connectivity ?

Quote:>Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug your
>mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird :)

I'm vegetarian.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Jim Broughto » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:30:53



> *ing hell! I can't believe it, I had to double check this post, and
> yes it is definately from him/her.    What next, Chad declares that he
> is actually a partially bald, 40 something who is a UNIX admin, my god,
> Claire has seen the light!

> kiwiunixman


> > As of Mandrake 7.2:

> > 1. Internet Connection Sharing is at least as easy to set up as it is
> > under Windows.
> > 2. Canon Printers seem well supported by Cups.
> > 3. Sound blaster Live more or less works from default install.
> > 4. Monitor/Video card easy.
> > 5.Wheel Mouse easy (Logitech users choose Intellimouse not Logitech)
> > 6. No brainer installation onto an already setup with Windows system.
> > I purposely tried to kill the Windows partition and it warned me twice
> > each time. Boot loader worked fine with Win2k.

> > Ok so I now decree, in public not to whine about any of the above
> > because evidently somebody at Mandrake has been listening to my rants.
> > I find it a big coincidence that almost ALL my rantings get fixed in
> > one release.

> > Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug your
> > mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird :)

> > claire

 Now if we can just get her/him/it to admit that the CLI is just as if not
more powerful than a GUI we will have really gotten somewhere.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)
If Sense were common everyone would have it!

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Ketil Z Mald » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>> As of Mandrake 7.2:

Be careful, somebody is probably going to call you a 'penguinista' if
you keep this up.

Quote:>> 4. Monitor/Video card easy.

XFree v.4?

Quote:> I think the video card compatibility situation has actually been
> pretty good for the most part over the past two years or so. The
> main thing that's new in Mandrake is 3d support OOTB for some video
> cards.

2D support has always been good, IMHO, except for certain backwards
vendors, most of which have seen the light and/or succumbed to
pressure.

I still can't seem to get 3D to work proberly with my Banshee card,
neither under XFree86 v4 on Debian, nor on Windows98.  I'll try a new
DRI kernel module (as opposed to compiling it in).

XFree v4 does improve things a lot, IMHO, in particular keys are set
up properly, and all my xmodmap fixes rendered useless - finally.

Quote:>> Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug
>> your mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird
> I'm vegetarian.

You can still hug your mom/wife, you know.

-kzm
--
If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>2D support has always been good, IMHO, except for certain backwards
>vendors, most of which have seen the light and/or succumbed to
>pressure.

The main problems with 2d support have been the "backwards vendors" and
also lack of autodetection. (I believe RH started this as of 5.x)

Quote:>> I'm vegetarian.

>You can still hug your mom/wife, you know.

I'm not married and my mom is overseas (or rather, I am).
I'll try my girlfriend instead (-;

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by mar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>> *ing hell! I can't believe it, I had to double check this post, and
>> yes it is definately from him/her.    What next, Chad declares that he
>> is actually a partially bald, 40 something who is a UNIX admin, my god,
>> Claire has seen the light!

> Now if we can just get her/him/it to admit that the CLI is just as if not
>more powerful than a GUI we will have really gotten somewhere.

Santa's coming...

Mark

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Pete Goodwi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> As of Mandrake 7.2:

Cor, blimey guv'nor! It took you _this_ long to get Linux Mandrake 7.2?
I've already installed the updates!

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Mig » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > As of Mandrake 7.2:

> Cor, blimey guv'nor! It took you _this_ long to get Linux Mandrake 7.2?
> I've already installed the updates!

OK OK.. you guys (and Claire)are starting to disappoint me. Since i am a
Mandrake 7.2 user also i want to bite you two guys a bit (And i have been a
mandrake fans since the 6 series).

Why the heck does Mandrake not allways release the CD-rom so that you cant
switch CD's

Why did they wait for KDE2 (i find KDE2 -especially Konqueror-  wonderfull
and great)  when its not completely ready - some icons are missing and
themes are not there (Where do i import my GTK themes to KDE2??) - should
have waited for 2.01 or release earlier.

I could mention lots of annoying little things. What Mandrake need to do is
to be more conservative (thats why im going to try SUSE on another machine).

--
Cheers

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by kiwiunixma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Regarding the opinion about Redhat, I don't understand the big hype
about Redhat? it is a shite distribution with * all features and
grossly overpriced compared to SuSE 7 Pro, the configuration tool with
SuSE (yast2) would hit Redhat's third rate config utils for a 6 (cricket
talk) and Corels config util is like Shane's Warnes bowling, *y hard
and confusing.

kiwiunixman



>> OK OK.. you guys (and Claire)are starting to disappoint me. Since i am a
>> Mandrake 7.2 user also i want to bite you two guys a bit (And i have been a
>> mandrake fans since the 6 series).

> I don't like biters, but......

>> Why the heck does Mandrake not allways release the CD-rom so that you cant
>> switch CD's

> I don't seem to have this problem. Under SuSE I had a problem if I
> played an audio CD, the next operation on that device (/dev/hdc) would
> fail unless I opened and closed the door.

>> Why did they wait for KDE2 (i find KDE2 -especially Konqueror-  wonderfull
>> and great)  when its not completely ready - some icons are missing and
>> themes are not there (Where do i import my GTK themes to KDE2??) - should
>> have waited for 2.01 or release earlier.

> Seems to me that Mandrake tends to be cutting edge in just about
> everything. SuSE seems to have X down to a science and they seem to be
> first with display/ monitor drivers. At least Mandrake gets things
> pretty much working, RedHat is a disaster in my opinion with so many
> basic bugs in each install I have to wonder if they ever test it
> before release.

> To it's credit, if you register with Mandrake they offer to send the
> released version of kde on CD to you for free.

>> I could mention lots of annoying little things. What Mandrake need to do is
>> to be more conservative (thats why im going to try SUSE on another machine).

> I prefer conservative when it comes to the odd stuff like RAID or
> Reiser. When it comes to "show-off" stuff like a nice clean, fast
> desktop or support, no matter how limited, for hardware, I'll go with
> the cutting edge every time. If I were interested in running some back
> room server I would have different priorities for sure.

> As far as themes are concerned, it is my understanding that themes are
> different in kde 2.0 and that themes are not quite as easy to
> implement under 2.0. I might be wrong about this though.

> claire

 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by kiwiunixma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:>> Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug your
>> mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird :)

> I'm vegetarian.

Me too, you could aways mold a block of Tofu in the shape of turkey :)
 
 
 

Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

Post by Frank Van Damm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



<snip>

Quote:>>Why the heck does Mandrake not allways release the CD-rom so that you
>>cant  switch CD's

> I don't seem to have this problem. Under SuSE I had a problem if I
> played an audio CD, the next operation on that device (/dev/hdc) would
> fail unless I opened and closed the door.

My cdrom was sometimes a * under Windows to open. It rebels under
Linux, too, just doesn't listen to what you say. Under Linux, it's
especcially when you have a windows opened in /mnt/cdrom.

Quote:>>Why did they wait for KDE2 (i find KDE2 -especially Konqueror-
>>wonderfull  and great)  when its not completely ready - some icons are
>>missing and  themes are not there (Where do i import my GTK themes to
>>KDE2??) - should  have waited for 2.01 or release earlier.

> Seems to me that Mandrake tends to be cutting edge in just about
> everything. SuSE seems to have X down to a science and they seem to be
> first with display/ monitor drivers. At least Mandrake gets things
> pretty much working, RedHat is a disaster in my opinion with so many
> basic bugs in each install I have to wonder if they ever test it before
> release.

Redhat=gruyere

Quote:> As far as themes are concerned, it is my understanding that themes are
> different in kde 2.0 and that themes are not quite as easy to implement
> under 2.0. I might be wrong about this though.

> claire

That's something I really miss under kde2. You can take window decoration
under a right-click menu on any title bar, color schemes, fonts,
background and screensaver are in the kde config centre - separated. imo
it's a step backwards.

--
Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

 
 
 

1. SuperLaugh: Little Bobby & The Maxi Pads :0 ~ You'll Love It !!!

THE SUPERLAUGH.com DAILY FUNPAGE NEWSLETTER!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come Out & Play(SM) weekend rates by Marriott. Starting at $44 a night. Book by June 28. Play through Labor Day. Participating: Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, & Residence Inn. Book now. Click here for details.
http://psstt.com/1/c/54598/59523/183994/183994
<a href="http://psstt.com/1/c/54598/59523/183994/183994"> AOL users click here </a>

Uh - Oh... Little Bobby & The Maxi Pads ~ Hilarious
http://www.superlaugh.com/1/napkins.htm
<a href="http://www.superlaugh.com/1/napkins.htm"> AOL users click here </a>

It's Like Fire by The Fudd Man ~ You'll Love It !!!
http://www.superlaugh.com/1/fudd.htm
<a href="http://www.superlaugh.com/1/fudd.htm"> AOL users click here </a>

Hilarious Passifiers For Babies!
http://superlaugh.com/fun/passify.htm
<a href="http://www.superlaugh.com/fun/passify.htm"> AOL users click here </a>

** FORECLOSED HOMES: NO MONEY DOWN! **
Try a FREE search in your area. America's largest & oldest bank foreclosure service.650,000 foreclosed homes, starting at $25,000 with NO MONEY DOWN. Homes for sale directly from banks and owners. Beautiful 3-4-5 bedroom foreclosed homes in great locations in all 50 states. First Time Homebuyers, Investment Homes, Condo's and commercial foreclosures. Search online: Names, Addresses, and Phone Numbers with 24 hour access. FOR A List In Your Area Click Here
http://psstt.com/1/c/54598/41137/183994/183994
<a href="http://psstt.com/1/c/54598/41137/183994/183994"> AOL users click here </a>

Who Talks More? Men or Women...
http://www.superlaugh.com/funpages/talk.htm
<a href="http://www.superlaugh.com/funpages/talk.htm"> AOL users click here </a>

---

To unsubscribe click on the link below:
http://list.netatlantic.com/cgi-bin/unsubscribe.pl?id=15177794R
<a href="http://list.netatlantic.com/cgi-bin/unsubscribe.pl?id=15177794R"> AOL Users Click Here </a>

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. Network printing to SUNOS 4.1.3 from SCO 3.2

3. Niggling little things and not so little ones with Linux

4. Plug'n'play modem woes

5. Give Me a Lad of 20 And I'll Give You...

6. Help: Slackware 3.0, gcc270 and a.out

7. KDE and QT: OK, I'll bite, whats it take to 'cleanroom' software?

8. Jump Starting Sparc10's

9. lm_sensors giving very little information

10. Module Gurus - Could you give me a little advice please?

11. I DID NOT WRITE/SEND 'I LOVE LITTLE BOYS'!!!!

12. I've got a little LOADLIN problem...

13. There's a little glitch in the binary of emacs in SLS