3d cad system port to linux

Post by Bob Ze » Wed, 15 May 2002 21:49:25

greetings.

bob z. is in need of some help.  bob z. wants to move a wish on a
'wishlist' up a little higher on the charts.  bob z. is sure you
guys/gals can help.  the power of linux WILL prevail.

please go here:

http://www.cadsense.co.nz/SWXwish.htm

search for "linux" and vote!

thanks a ton!

bob z.
p.s. http://db.photo.net/WealthClock

3d cad system port to linux

Post by Bob Ze » Wed, 15 May 2002 22:40:02

bob z. can not understand or even grasp the idea of people actually
advocating micro$haft products.
amazing.

bob z.
p.s. when it's time to party, we will party hard.

3d cad system port to linux

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Thu, 16 May 2002 18:03:46

Note subject change.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bob Zee

 wrote
on Tue, 14 May 2002 20:40:02 +0000 (UTC)

> bob z. can not understand or even grasp the idea of people actually
> advocating micro$haft products.
> amazing.

Bob z. might have to get out more.  :-)  While it's true that,
in this forum at least, advocating Microsoft products is
an invitation to ridicule (and probably ridiculous anyway),
Microsoft didn't get where it is by simply sitting and letting
their products do the talking, even if they were best of breed
at one point.  (That point was awhile ago, probably in the
Win3.1 days, just before Win95.)

No, they advertised.  And still do, today.  I'll admit that some
of their adverts don't make a lot of sense (what *does* a
colorful butterfly flitting around the world mean?), but they
are there.

IBM is advertising for Linux, and some of their adverts make
even less sense -- they've taken down the "peace, love,
penguin" billboard in my area, though.  (Too bad, that was
pleasantly enigmatic. :-) )  However, one does have to ask what
basketball and Linux have to do with one another.  (The answer
actually makes sense; the metaphor is to score points, which equates
to landing deals and/or selling product, in this case various
servers running Linux.  Of course, the butterfly makes sense too;
the idea there apparently is to sell a worldwide enterprise,
with the implication that Microsoft has the expertise to deliver.
And it does, to some extent: Win2k, like NT before it, is all
Unicode and therefore can work in any language, at least in theory.
Linux may have some difficulties in that area, although careful
development may help, possibly by people in the Asian areas,
because they're the ones most affected; most Western European
countries can make do with 8-bit encodings, but Chinese and
Japanese have far too many glyphs (kanjii) to fit thereinto.)

Linux is slightly hampered by the fact that there's no one
corporation that owns it.  However, that's more than made up
for by the quality of the product and the fact that millions
of people will go to bat for it, attesting to its reliability,
stability, usability, security, etc.  -- and of course some
of these people will even go into the code and fix it. :-)

Quote:

> bob z.
> p.s. when it's time to party, we will party hard.

I'm hoping for a V-shaped recovery, myself. :-)  But I'll admit
I'm still not sure what side of the V we're on, here.

--

EAC code #191       89d:04h:19m actually running Linux.
                    This message is way too short to tell you the wonderful ...

3d cad system port to linux

Post by Frederic Vannest » Thu, 16 May 2002 21:00:51

> greetings.

> bob z. is in need of some help.  bob z. wants to move a wish on a
> 'wishlist' up a little higher on the charts.  bob z. is sure you
> guys/gals can help.  the power of linux WILL prevail.

> please go here:

> http://www.cadsense.co.nz/SWXwish.htm

> search for "linux" and vote!

> thanks a ton!

> bob z.
> p.s. http://db.photo.net/WealthClock

Now if PTC would just put out that linux version of Pro/Engineer...

(sorry, it's in german but there are a couple of screenshots)
http://www.ptc.com/germany/company/newsletter/inews/inhalt_03_00/53.pdf

The reason why they don't:
http://www.proefaq.com/faqomatic/fom-serve/cache/359.html

*sigh*
I just can't seem to get rid of that M$ win2k multiboot situation...

Cheers,

Fred
--
"Computer games don't affect kids;