Give Me a Lad of 20 And I'll Give You...

Give Me a Lad of 20 And I'll Give You...

Post by Kenneth Down » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:36:08

So the intern started on Monday, and I've got him doing some stuff we need.

To get started quick (no computer, no desk, welcome to the declining
empire), I give him my laptop, saying, "This is linux, but I'm sure we'll
find an editor quick that you'll be comfortable."  Fired up Automatic and
we got him editing some files that have been piling up.

"Can you network it?"  "Oh sure, Windows thinks its a Windows file server,
let me transfer some files over for you."

So today at Lunch he has a lot of questions about Linux, he's already been
looking at it in stores and is figuring for a dual-boot to start.

The funny thing is that I was so swamped I never had time to offer my usual
ranting sermons on Linux, I really just threw the computer at him and told
him to get started.  But he kept asking these damn questions, like what's
so great about it?  So I drop to a command line and show the following:

I like this little toy example (even though the grep is superfluous)
because it shows the simple fact that Linux allows you to do anything you
can think of just by sticking together little pieces.  "That's Cool!"  Ah,
the honest brevity of youth.

So, is the answer, "...a linux user for life?"  Hardly.  Not yet, maybe
never.  But it's amazing how the college set will just let loose with the
questions and want to grab it and start playing with it.
--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

Post by Kenneth Down » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 05:07:40

>> I like this little toy example (even though the grep is superfluous)
>> because it shows the simple fact that Linux allows you to do anything you
>> can think of just by sticking together little pieces.  "That's Cool!"
>> Ah, the honest brevity of youth.

> i'm sure he'll make the transition soon enough ...

Today he tells me he dug out a Pentium 90 w/16 M that he thought had been
thrown away.

I said, "um, you're not going to have a GUI on that thing."

"No problem.  Oh, and since my b-day is coming up my Dad is picking up that
book you recommended, 'Running Linux' from O'Reilly, and I'll go with SuSE
personal."

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

Give Me a Lad of 20 And I'll Give You...

Post by Matthias Warku » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:21:46

It was the Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:07:40 -0400...

Quote:>  Today he tells me he dug out a Pentium 90 w/16 M that he thought had been
>  thrown away.

>  I said, "um, you're not going to have a GUI on that thing."

>  "No problem.  Oh, and since my b-day is coming up my Dad is picking up that
>  book you recommended, 'Running Linux' from O'Reilly, and I'll go with SuSE
>  personal."

He should use SuSE Professional. SuSE's personal edition is pretty
much stripped clean of many of the tools that make Unix Unix.

mawa
--
Friert im Glas der J?ger M.,
Wird der Winter unbequem.

Post by Jazz » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:41:20

>>> I like this little toy example (even though the grep is superfluous)
>>> because it shows the simple fact that Linux allows you to do anything you
>>> can think of just by sticking together little pieces.  "That's Cool!"
>>> Ah, the honest brevity of youth.

>> i'm sure he'll make the transition soon enough ...

> Today he tells me he dug out a Pentium 90 w/16 M that he thought had been
> thrown away.

> I said, "um, you're not going to have a GUI on that thing."

> "No problem.  Oh, and since my b-day is coming up my Dad is picking up that
> book you recommended, 'Running Linux' from O'Reilly, and I'll go with SuSE
> personal."

Actually, I used to have a Dell Latitude laptop; Pentium 75, 16 MB RAM, 850 MB
hard disk and a lousy 640x480x256 video card.

X did run on that system, and quite swiftly too. Just be sure not to choose KDE
or Gnome, but stick to a quick'n'dirty window manager (actually, XFCE performed
nicely). And if you absolutely must have an office package on that machine, I'd
recommend Applix Office (version 4.4.1, if you can still find it, is _very_
fast indeed on such a machine), or maybe even WordPerfect 8.

The only problem is that some (IMHO retarded) linux apps assume you will always
run X in a higher than regular VGA resolution, and you might end up with
windows running off-screen. Luckily those have become the exception rather than
the rule.

--
Jazz.

"Ceteris censeo Fenestras delendas."
(Cato - de Terrore Portarum)

Post by Kenneth Down » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:45:24

>>> i'm sure he'll make the transition soon enough ...

>> Today he tells me he dug out a Pentium 90 w/16 M that he thought had been
>> thrown away.

>> I said, "um, you're not going to have a GUI on that thing."

>> "No problem.  Oh, and since my b-day is coming up my Dad is picking up
>> that book you recommended, 'Running Linux' from O'Reilly, and I'll go
>> with SuSE personal."

> Actually, I used to have a Dell Latitude laptop; Pentium 75, 16 MB RAM,
> 850 MB hard disk and a lousy 640x480x256 video card.

> X did run on that system, and quite swiftly too. Just be sure not to
> choose KDE or Gnome, but stick to a quick'n'dirty window manager
> (actually, XFCE performed nicely). And if you absolutely must have an
> office package on that machine, I'd recommend Applix Office (version
> 4.4.1, if you can still find it, is _very_ fast indeed on such a machine),
> or maybe even WordPerfect 8.

> The only problem is that some (IMHO retarded) linux apps assume you will
> always run X in a higher than regular VGA resolution, and you might end up
> with windows running off-screen. Luckily those have become the exception
> rather than the rule.

Thanks, I will pass that on.  I'm getting daily updates.  He apparently
installed it immediately and is poking around.
--

Post by Kenneth Down » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:46:05

> It was the Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:07:40 -0400...

>>  Today he tells me he dug out a Pentium 90 w/16 M that he thought had
>>  been thrown away.

>>  I said, "um, you're not going to have a GUI on that thing."

>>  "No problem.  Oh, and since my b-day is coming up my Dad is picking up
>>  that book you recommended, 'Running Linux' from O'Reilly, and I'll go
>>  with SuSE personal."

> He should use SuSE Professional. SuSE's personal edition is pretty
> much stripped clean of many of the tools that make Unix Unix.

> mawa

I would never pick a "personal" edition of anything, so I really did not
know what might have been missing.  Thanks for the heads up.
--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

Give Me a Lad of 20 And I'll Give You...

Post by Jim Richardso » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 06:33:47

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:41:20 +0200,

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

1. 'make dep' gives error - what gives?

First, yes I am a newbie to Linux.  I've been given the task to put up
a Linux web site.  I almost have things working (Linux is up and running,
and sees everything except my ewrk3 ethernet card; XFree86 is up [what
do I do next???])

In order to get the ethernet card up, I've decided to recompile my
kernel, v1.2.3.  Or, at least, I'm trying to...  :(

I've gone through 'make config', and seemingly all is well.  I did have
to create the directory /usr/src/linux/drivers because 'make dep'
complained.  After I created the drivers directory, I redid 'make clean'
and then 'make dep'.  Get the following messages:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'dep'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-1.2.3/drivers'
make: *** [depend] Error 127

Any hints?

2. formating 1.2Gb i.d.e. drives for linux

3. Ok I'll give a little...but just a little...

4. ftp: can only log in as anon

5. HELP: SLS a1 disk gives swapper killed error on MAGNAVOX 386/20

6. CD420F cdrom with SB16 PnP

7. SunOS 5.8 giving relocation errors for apps at runtime on my Sparc 20

8. Realtek NIC setup woes

9. Linux gives NMI error 20

10. Why does 'ls' give '/' as the output?

11. 'ps' gives 'Illegal Instruction'

12. Why does 'ls' give '/' as the output?

13. Would someone give me a URL for 'sudo' and/or 'runas'?