Linux is up and running!

Post by DownRe » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:56:13

Woohoo!  Pan is the best!

Linux is up and running!

Post by DownRe » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:15:51

Do you spend your entire day trolling this ng?  Anyhoo, Pan has all
functionality of Agent, plus it has a slick interface.

Linux is up and running!

Post by William Gr » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:55:43

>Do you spend your entire day trolling this ng?  Anyhoo, Pan has all
>functionality of Agent, plus it has a slick interface.

Really? Perhaps I have just not figured it out yet, but Pan has
many usability issues that for me Agent didn't.  Like how do you stop
Pan from downloading headers from every group when you just click on
the group?  Same with clicking on an article, it tries to auto-download
everything, even if it is a huge multi-part binary.  Also haven't figured
out how to switch between seeing/not seeing read articles.  Otherwise
it is quite nice.

-Wes

--
"Sigourney Weaver is pretty cool, he really kicks ass in all those
alien movies, even if he does look a little like a chick."

Linux is up and running!

Post by paul cook » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:10:14

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>>Do you spend your entire day trolling this ng?  Anyhoo, Pan has all
>>functionality of Agent, plus it has a slick interface.

> Really? Perhaps I have just not figured it out yet, but Pan has
> many usability issues that for me Agent didn't.  Like how do you stop
> Pan from downloading headers from every group when you just click on
> the group?  Same with clicking on an article, it tries to auto-download
> everything, even if it is a huge multi-part binary.  Also haven't
> figured out how to switch between seeing/not seeing read articles.
> Otherwise it is quite nice.

Read the documentation and learn to select multipart articles with the
middle mouse button then right click to do the "save attachments" action
after you've selected all the articles you want to download in that
group.
Uncheck the "Download new headers when the group is loaded" option on the
"Preferences > Display - Groups" page

HTH

Quote:

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Linux is up and running!

Post by DownRe » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:12:06

Well, I was referring to Pan's ability to download binaries.

Linux is up and running!

Post by greg » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:34:30

> Woohoo!  Pan is the best!

I favor it over knode and Mozilla news.
I have been using Pan for some time. The other day I decided to clear my
killfile and start anew. Figured it
was easy enuff to just not open posts from known idiots. So anyway I
deleted all bozos and paid no mind to the text in the box when
done......Well then none of my newsgroups would update. I looked all over
and could not find any button I might have activated to cause this. I
could see the headers being downloaded then, nothing. Hmmm, so I figured I
had never given knode much of a chance and tried it. Everyting worked fine
and all groups updated and showed posts I was not seeing in pan. I spent a
little time with it and figured I could live with knode but just did not
quite like it as much as pan. So then I tried Mozilla news to give it a
chance......well mozilla wanted my user name and password every time I
changed ngs, even after being told to remember them. I did not need that.
So wanting to fix pan, I went to the pan site and found a new version just
released on 12-12 I think.  So I updated pan and still had the same
problem but a little bit slicker interface. Then I started back tracking
as to what I had done lately........went to the Bozo bin and read the text
this time.....I had everything killfiled not nothing. DOHHHHHHHHHH

Linux is up and running!

Post by Dave Leig » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:57:41

drsquare wrote on Wednesday 18 December 2002 16:00 in message

> begin  On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:56:13 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>Woohoo!  Pan is the best!

> What's so good about it?

It's for you. It will make you happy.
You should use Pan.  Mmmmmm.  Pan.

Oh. Wait. BTDT.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Linux is up and running!

Post by Conor Turto » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:36:01

255.255.255.255 says...
Quote:> Do you spend your entire day trolling this ng?  Anyhoo, Pan has all
> functionality of Agent, plus it has a slick interface.

I hate PAN so much I have Windows installed just to run Gravity. And
no, that doesn't run under WINE..I've tried.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

Linux is up and running!

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:54:33

Thus speaketh drsquare:

Quote:> What's so good about it?

Lessee, advanced filters, rules and message views, a slick interface and
its free. Oh, that's right -- you didn't really want that type of answer,
you were just trolling. Sorry.
--
Tattoo Vampire, Esq.
Owner & Proprietor, Trollus Amongus, Inc. XP owner but a Linux user

Linux is up and running!

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:56:09

Thus speaketh Conor Turton:

Quote:> I hate PAN so much I have Windows installed just to run Gravity. And no,
> that doesn't run under WINE..I've tried.

Some of us dream of XNews for Linux. That probably won't happen, though.
40tude Dialog is another great Windoze newsreader, but I can't get it to
run under WINE.
--

Post by Blinky the Shar » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:34:00

> Thus speaketh Conor Turton:

>> I hate PAN so much I have Windows installed just to run Gravity. And no,
>> that doesn't run under WINE..I've tried.

> Some of us dream of XNews for Linux. That probably won't happen, though.
> 40tude Dialog is another great Windoze newsreader, but I can't get it to
> run under WINE.

Marcus (is it Marcus?) yanked that, for a while, I think, while working
out some of the beta blues.  I haven't seen anything on him putting out
the next one, but it's been a while, so he may be doing some major work
on it.  Next release might be a lot better.  For all of its faults, it
sure got some quick converts (not necessarily from Xnews; probalby not
even mostly from Xnews) over in n.s.r.

--
Blinky
Home Entertainment Wonder - http://snurl.com/model_zero

Linux is up and running!

Post by Conor Turto » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:42:06

Quote:> Thus speaketh Conor Turton:

> > I hate PAN so much I have Windows installed just to run Gravity. And no,
> > that doesn't run under WINE..I've tried.

> Some of us dream of XNews for Linux. That probably won't happen, though.
> 40tude Dialog is another great Windoze newsreader, but I can't get it to
> run under WINE.

Gravity might be the first to work. It fires up, connects then crashes
as its a problem with storing the newsgroup files under WINE. Once
thats resolved then its 100% functionality.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

Linux is up and running!

Post by Dave Leig » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:58:59

Tattoo Vampire wrote on Thursday 19 December 2002 00:54 in message

Quote:> Thus speaketh drsquare:

>> What's so good about it?

> Lessee, advanced filters, rules and message views, a slick interface and
> its free. Oh, that's right -- you didn't really want that type of answer,
> you were just trolling. Sorry.

Now if he were using a really advanced news reader he might take advantage
of the AutoTroll(tim) technology. This randomly posts comments like "Where
can I get my kitchen utensils laminated?" In response to posted
screenshots, it returns pithy comments like, "Those fonts are a nightmare!"
And exclusive technology developed for Eliza allows it to cleverly respond
to statements like "USE A HAMMER!" with "I can't afford a HAMMER"

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Linux is up and running!

Post by Johan Lindquis » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:29:36

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 at 13:58 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

> Tattoo Vampire wrote on Thursday 19 December 2002 00:54 in message

>> Thus speaketh drsquare:
>>> What's so good about it?

>> Lessee, advanced filters, rules and message views, a slick
>> interface and its free. Oh, that's right -- you didn't really want
>> that type of answer, you were just trolling. Sorry.

> Now if he were using a really advanced news reader he might take
> advantage of the AutoTroll(tim) technology. This randomly posts
> comments like "Where can I get my kitchen utensils laminated?" In
> response to posted screenshots, it returns pithy comments like,
> "Those fonts are a nightmare!" And exclusive technology developed
> for Eliza allows it to cleverly respond to statements like "USE A
> HAMMER!" with "I can't afford a HAMMER"

And.. help me out here.. which parts about his posts indicates that he
does not already have access to all of this advanced technology you
mention?

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 13:20:02  up 12 days, 18:09,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.24, 0.30

Linux is up and running!

Post by d2002x » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:24:26

Quote:> Woohoo!

That's good! :))

Quote:> Pan is the best!

Nope, gnus is the best!!

--
d2002xx
COLA wintroll-feeder #1

"Non-free software is wrong and we do not want it in our lives" -- RHS

       I could't understand whats going wrong.
I compiled new kernel with kgdb patch..and entered the details in /etc/lilo.conf
and running lilo..

i got the following lines..

Warning: /etc/lilo.conf should be writable only for root ( I am in root login only)
Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.

geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (  1146 > 1023).

Could any one help me out...

thanks,
srinivas.

2. Getting Mail from ISP POP Server

4. Is there such a thing as a roaming profile for GNU/Linux users?

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Mounting a CD

7. Am Power Smart UPS daemon around?

8. grrrr RELAY

9. running linux with ups from apc?!

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. UPS debugger running on RedHat linux

12. My Latest IPCHAINS Scripts: Comments Requested if I am in Error: Running Linux Mandrake 7.1

13. A little OT but I am running Linux off the DSL.