Two cool articles from CIO magazine!

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:45:39

Further proof the executives are starting to understand the importance of
Linux.  Let's be ready to take advantage of the wave.  I am positioning
myself to be the "go to" person on Linux.

Your Open Source Plan

http://www.cio.com/archive/031503/opensource.html

"Sattler consolidated 75 websites and went from 40 Windows servers down to
four Linux servers."

Showdown at the 6.0 Corral

http://www.cio.com/archive/031503/showdown.html

"Though Microsoft's deadline for customers to sign up for the new
licensing plan passed at the end of July 2002, by November a new CIO
survey of 375 IT executives found that 51 percent of respondents still had
not upgraded to Microsoft's new product line, XP."

--
Brainfried Sysadmin
Get out from under Microsoft's thumb...give'em the finger...use Linux.

Two cool articles from CIO magazine!

Post by Daero » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:42:13

Quote:>Further proof the executives are starting to understand the importance of
>Linux.  Let's be ready to take advantage of the wave.  I am positioning
>myself to be the "go to" person on Linux.

>Your Open Source Plan

>http://www.cio.com/archive/031503/opensource.html

>"Sattler consolidated 75 websites and went from 40 Windows servers down to
>four Linux servers."

>Showdown at the 6.0 Corral

>http://www.cio.com/archive/031503/showdown.html

".. We get to manage the vendor as opposed to the vendor managing us,"

Print this out in BIG letters and put it on the wall !

<snip>

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:14:53

>>Further proof the executives are starting to understand the importance
>>of Linux.  Let's be ready to take advantage of the wave.  I am
>>positioning myself to be the "go to" person on Linux.

>>Your Open Source Plan

>>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>"Sattler consolidated 75 websites and went from 40 Windows servers down
>>to four Linux servers."

>>Showdown at the 6.0 Corral

>>http://www.veryComputer.com/

> ".. We get to manage the vendor as opposed to the vendor managing us,"

> Print this out in BIG letters and put it on the wall !

> <snip>

Too true.  I recently purchased and watched "Revolution OS".  I was
completely floored when Richard Stallman made a statement along similar
lines.  Basically, you can pick the company or consultant that provides
the best service.  You're not locked-in.  Your business is no longer held
for ransom.

The implications of Linux are enormous.  It is a true revolution.  Linux
will be ubiquitous as it there's a distro out there for pretty much any
computing device or the open-source code can be reworked by anyone willing
to fit a device. Linux is in a TiVo and Linux is running in Motorola cell
phones.  Linux is going to provide a common communication infrastructure
to allow all computing devices to inter-operate. The people that provide
proprietary closed-source only systems better take notice. Their "cheese"
is moving away at a faster and faster rate every day.  They better be
moving to find new "cheese" instead of *ing about their lost "cheese".