RedHat & TigerDirect overreach.

Post by John Culleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here are some quotes from a two page Red Hat Linux
spread in the TigerDirect Catalog:

"The Red Hat Linux story. Red Hat is the Official Linux"

"The original. The Best. red hat."

"red hat Linux is the original and we think it is the very best."

As a Slackware user for ages I don't think Red Hat is "the original"
of anything except itself. It may be the most popular distro but it
wasn't the first. And it is no more "official" than any of the other
well-known distros.  I think someone has to rein in their adwriters a
bit.

John Culleton

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Brian Langenberge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Here are some quotes from a two page Red Hat Linux
: spread in the TigerDirect Catalog:

: "The Red Hat Linux story. Red Hat is the Official Linux"

: "The original. The Best. red hat."

: "red hat Linux is the original and we think it is the very best."

: As a Slackware user for ages I don't think Red Hat is "the original"
: of anything except itself. It may be the most popular distro but it
: wasn't the first. And it is no more "official" than any of the other
: well-known distros.  I think someone has to rein in their adwriters a
: bit.

I use RedHat.  I like RedHat.  But that "ad" sure isn't RedHat.
I agree that it's neither "the original" (I'm sure Linus gets
that honor) and the "very best" is highly debatable.  RedHat
has maintained publicly that they're not in competition with
the other distributions (believing instead that the market
is not a "zero sum" market and that there's room enough for
all) so this whole "The original.  The Best." nonsense seems
highly out of place.

It sounds like the folks at TigerDirect are just a little too
overzealous in their marketing.  That's my take on the
matter.

RedHat & TigerDirect overreach.

Post by Mark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

TigerDirect makes up stuff for the ads that can be quite
amusing. The companies do not post ads with them, its TD
all the way on that one.

Read the rest of the catalog and see what other amusing bits
you can find.
(but be careful about actually *ordering* anything from them)
:)

Post by Bob Hau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>TigerDirect makes up stuff for the ads that can be quite
>amusing. The companies do not post ads with them, its TD
>all the way on that one.

Perhaps that DAK guy is involved?  I think his name was "Drew" something.
He had a (US-based) catalog that sold home electronics under outrageous
product names, things like a speaker called the "Thunder Lizard".  The
descriptions were just over the top.  I loved that catalog for the humor
value alone.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Wasatch Communications Group