M$ makes an ATTEMPT at patching Outlook

Post by SINNE » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 21:53:04

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-964166.html

PASTE:
Outlook 11 will, by default, no longer grab data such as images from
outside servers when previewing e-mail formatted like Web pages.

But I am sure you wont be able to turn this off without being an MSCE and
haveing to read a 5000 page book on the Losedows Registry.

Something Most Linux mail clients do by default, if they even read the
crap.

--
David

http://www.mameworld.net/  MameWorld, The largest MAME resource on the net
http://www.mandrakelinux.com Activation Free since November 1998
http://www.tombstones.org.uk/burners.php - Free CD MAME ROM Offer

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 23:35:32

> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-964166.html

> PASTE:
> Outlook 11 will, by default, no longer grab data such as images from
> outside servers when previewing e-mail formatted like Web pages.

> But I am sure you wont be able to turn this off without being an MSCE
> and haveing to read a 5000 page book on the Losedows Registry.

> Something Most Linux mail clients do by default, if they even read the
> crap.

What part of "by default" don't you understand?

M$ makes an ATTEMPT at patching Outlook

Post by SINNE » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 00:01:52

Quote:> What part of "by default" don't you understand?

what part of my post dont you understand?

it took till version 11 to be by default and before then it was not
possible default or otherwise. Like I said you wont be able to turn ot off
either, not easily anyway, just like the workaround for exe,vbs, whatever
files, hack the registry.

Losedows, one big reg hack :P~

--

Post by Jesse F. Hugh » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 00:00:26

> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-964166.html

> PASTE:
> Outlook 11 will, by default, no longer grab data such as images from
> outside servers when previewing e-mail formatted like Web pages.

> But I am sure you wont be able to turn this off without being an MSCE and
> haveing to read a 5000 page book on the Losedows Registry.

> Something Most Linux mail clients do by default, if they even read the
> crap.

I don't know anything about most Linux mail clients, but Gnus
certainly will grab images from external sites when presenting HTML
email by default.  I've configured mine so that it doesn't parse HTML
by default as a means of preventing this behavior, but it took a
little work to figure out how[1].

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, not really.  Rather than work, I posted a question to the
appropriate newsgroup.

--
Jesse Hughes
"How come there's still apes running around loose and there are

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 00:28:12

>> What part of "by default" don't you understand?

> what part of my post dont you understand?

The part where you claim it will be difficult to enable the feature, because
it will be buried so deeply in the menu system, yet you say the feature will
be enabled by default.

Quote:> it took till version 11 to be by default and before then it was not
> possible default or otherwise. Like I said you wont be able to turn
> ot off either, not easily anyway, just like the workaround for
> exe,vbs, whatever files, hack the registry.

Uhh.. you mean the little check box on the security tab of the options
dialog that says:

Do not all attachments to be saved or executed that could be viruses

You just uncheck it and click OK.

Post by Kelsey Bjarnaso » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:58:36

>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-964166.html

>> PASTE:
>> Outlook 11 will, by default, no longer grab data such as images from
>> outside servers when previewing e-mail formatted like Web pages.

>> But I am sure you wont be able to turn this off without being an MSCE and
>> haveing to read a 5000 page book on the Losedows Registry.

>> Something Most Linux mail clients do by default, if they even read the
>> crap.

> I don't know anything about most Linux mail clients, but Gnus
> certainly will grab images from external sites when presenting HTML
> email by default.  I've configured mine so that it doesn't parse HTML
> by default as a means of preventing this behavior, but it took a
> little work to figure out how[1].

I rather like KMail's approach to this.  By default, it won't render HTML
at all, just spews code at you.

What you can do, though, is specify that on a per-folder basis, mails in
the folders will support HTML.  Thus, if you're a member of a mailing list
that uses HTML, you filter the posts into there and voila.

However, you can still decide whether or not to allow the HTML posts to
retrieve remote content (eg images) or not.  The only annoyance is that
this setting is global; if on, all HTML-enabled folders will be allowed to
grab remote content.  It should be on a per-folder basis, like the HTML
rendering itself.

M$ makes an ATTEMPT at patching Outlook

Post by SINNE » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 04:11:07

Erik Funkenbusch uttered the incantation

came:

Quote:> The part where you claim it will be difficult to enable the feature,
> because it will be buried so deeply in the menu system, yet you say the
> feature will be enabled by default.

*sigh*

Quote:>  But I am sure you wont be able to turn this *off* without being an MSCE
>   and  haveing to read a 5000 page book on the Losedows Registry.

off = disable
--

Post by Jesse F. Hugh » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:16:50

> I rather like KMail's approach to this.  By default, it won't render HTML
> at all, just spews code at you.

> What you can do, though, is specify that on a per-folder basis, mails in
> the folders will support HTML.  Thus, if you're a member of a mailing list
> that uses HTML, you filter the posts into there and voila.

That's more or less how I do it with Gnus, but it is not so easy to do
this.  Perhaps I simply don't understand the program well enough to
believe that the solution *is* easy, but I think that the solution I
use is best described as a hack.

Quote:> However, you can still decide whether or not to allow the HTML posts to
> retrieve remote content (eg images) or not.  The only annoyance is that
> this setting is global; if on, all HTML-enabled folders will be allowed to
> grab remote content.  It should be on a per-folder basis, like the HTML
> rendering itself.

Makes sense.

--
Jesse Hughes
"[I]f gravel cannot make itself into an animal in a year, how could it