URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by RHL Use » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
MS-Exchange or Groupwise.

Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
server and MS-Exchange.

The timing is critical because I have to have a proposal ready for
Monday, our board of directors meet on Tuesday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Trummer

Post by Chris Ahlstro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
> as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
> asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
> is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
> MS-Exchange or Groupwise.

> Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
> server and MS-Exchange.

> The timing is critical because I have to have a proposal ready for
> Monday, our board of directors meet on Tuesday.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Chris Trummer

Try searching for things like "mail server comparisons".

Frankly, if your IT contractor doesn't know Linux, the board of director's
won't
consider it an option (unless the IT guy is a jerk).

Chris

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by abrax » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
> as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
> asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
> is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
> MS-Exchange or Groupwise.
> Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
> server and MS-Exchange.

Linux (sendmail, smail, qmail, etc) can handle somewhere around two
magnetudes more incoming connections (imap, etc) than exchange can
on the same hardware.  Sendmail is more stable than exchange.  Sendmail
is free. You dont have to apply a microsoft bugfix to sendmail to
eliminate things like 'i love you' viruses.  etc.

-----yttrx

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by Jan Johansso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
>server and MS-Exchange.

>The timing is critical because I have to have a proposal ready for
>Monday, our board of directors meet on Tuesday.

Also note that exchange also gives TONS of more features then any
"plain" linux server (calender, forms, shared folders etc etc etc)
only package fo runix that can serve as a backend for all that is HP
openmail, which isnt exactly cheap either

(No, i am not banging a MS drum here, but most IT/IS coordinators
doesnt look at exchange as a "mail only" system).

Post by JEDIDI » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
>>server and MS-Exchange.

>>The timing is critical because I have to have a proposal ready for
>>Monday, our board of directors meet on Tuesday.

        Given the recent problems with trojans you might want to concentrate
        on things on the client side first and then work your backwards.

Quote:

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by fbarto.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> Also note that exchange also gives TONS of more features then any
> "plain" linux server (calender, forms, shared folders etc etc etc)
> only package fo runix that can serve as a backend for all that is HP
> openmail, which isnt exactly cheap either

> (No, i am not banging a MS drum here, but most IT/IS coordinators
> doesnt look at exchange as a "mail only" system).

I planned to use the Lotus Internet Server for the internal email
service, exactly to benefit of the various add-ons, as well as the ease
of configuration, while I'm employing Linux for the relay server in the
DMZ zone.
For that matter any suggestion or pitfall warning for my collegue at
work in the configuration of that linux machine is welcome.

Greetings,
Fabrizio Bartolomucci

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by Martin Knoblauc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> Also note that exchange also gives TONS of more features then any
> "plain" linux server (calender, forms, shared folders etc etc etc)
> only package fo runix that can serve as a backend for all that is HP
> openmail, which isnt exactly cheap either

 Gives the (probably FA) Q whether there is a Linux client that can use all
these features. I am looking for something like Outlook (sans security
issues :-). While I am not very in favour of the M$ unproductivity suite,
Outlook is the only thing I wouldn't want to miss.

 And before someone starts: POP3/IMAP are not the answer for the mail part.
In my organisation these two "ports" are disabled by the power/wisdom of our
IS folks :-)

Quote:> (No, i am not banging a MS drum here, but most IT/IS coordinators
> doesnt look at exchange as a "mail only" system).

 Very correct.

Martin

Post by Pete Goodw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
>as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
>asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
>is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
>MS-Exchange or Groupwise.

I'm not a fan of MS Exchange, I prefer SMTP, POP type servers. Then I can
use whatever mail client I choose.

In my days at Digital we had the largest Exchange system setup - the whole
company (50,000 of us back then) went to Exchange. That meant setting up NT
domains everywhere. Of course, there were a few bugs in Exchange and I
remember Microsoft working with us to fix them.

Exchange had a few hiccups every now and then - the servers would die. I
saw less of these problems with VAX Mail or SMTP/POP.

--
------------
Pete Goodwin

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Also note that exchange also gives TONS of more features then any
>> "plain" linux server (calender, forms, shared folders etc etc etc)
>> only package fo runix that can serve as a backend for all that is HP
>> openmail, which isnt exactly cheap either

> Gives the (probably FA) Q whether there is a Linux client that can use all
>these features. I am looking for something like Outlook (sans security
>issues :-). While I am not very in favour of the M$ unproductivity suite,
>Outlook is the only thing I wouldn't want to miss.

Some shared IMAP folders and an LDAP directory as the
address book makes a good cross platform system lacking only
the calendar service and there are some web programs for
that.  Netscape works pretty well as an IMAP client - and
if Netscape still has a calendar server, that might complete
the system.  I'd really like to see plan/ical/korganizer grow
a web interface for cross-platform/remote access.

Quote:> And before someone starts: POP3/IMAP are not the answer for the mail part.
>In my organisation these two "ports" are disabled by the power/wisdom of our
>IS folks :-)

Sounds like a political issue to me...   I think some places are
running IMAP over SSL if it is a security issue, and there are
web gateways (IMP, etc) that run https externally with normal
IMAP between the web server and the mail server (which may be
the same machine).

  Les Mikesell

Post by Timothy J. L » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

|I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
|as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
|asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
|is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
|MS-Exchange or Groupwise.

Check other IT contractors?  There is more to email than Exchange
or Groupwise (even if it is based on NT).

Don't know about Groupwise, but Exchange is not only expensive, but
hard to configure, understand, and maintain (it does contain some
non-email features that may be useful in an all-Microsoft environment,
but if you're not using those features, they are of no relevance to
you except in making the system more complicated).  It is also
vulnerable to anonymous relaying through bounce messages, since it
deletes the Received: lines from the original message when bouncing
it.  So if Exchange is used, another mail server must be placed between
it and the internet to prevent untrusted sources from sending email
to nonexistent users on the Exchange server.

What features of email server do you need?

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by Timothy J. L » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

|someone writes:

|>Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
|>server and MS-Exchange.
|
|(No, i am not banging a MS drum here, but most IT/IS coordinators
|doesnt look at exchange as a "mail only" system).

However, there are many people (perhaps including the original poster
and others in his/her organization) who think of it as just a mail
server, rather than an integrated groupware system.  If an organization
just wants a mail server instead of an integrated groupware system,
there are plenty of other less expensive and simpler to maintain
alternatives available (including Windows NT based mail servers, if
the organization insists on Windows NT).

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by Timothy J. L » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

|I planned to use the Lotus Internet Server for the internal email
|service, exactly to benefit of the various add-ons, as well as the ease
|of configuration, while I'm employing Linux for the relay server in the
|DMZ zone.
|For that matter any suggestion or pitfall warning for my collegue at
|work in the configuration of that linux machine is welcome.

Most mainstream Linux distributions are not very secure out of the
box; you'll have to carefully inspect /etc/inetd.conf, the startup
scripts, "ps auxww", "netstat -a", etc. for things running that
you wouldn't want or need in a security sensitive place like the
DMZ mail relay.

You may want to consider OpenBSD for something like that.  Most things
are off by default; you turn on (or install and turn on) the things
that you need (and watch for security advisories on them).  Of course,
the usual mail transfer agents like postfix, qmail, and sendmail run
on it.

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by Full Na » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Most of what is said below is simply FUD.  The install of Exchange is
almost completely silent.

Almost the entire configuration is done on the client side (eg
multiple mailbox access, sharing of mailboxes and permissions,
creation of personal folders, etc).  All that is required is that you
understand the client software.  Other than creation of new mailboxes
the server requires almost no maintenance.  It is simply the way it
was designed.  The server is rather generic in nature.

>Don't know about Groupwise, but Exchange is not only expensive, but
>hard to configure, understand, and maintain (it does contain some
>non-email features that may be useful in an all-Microsoft environment,
>but if you're not using those features, they are of no relevance to
>you except in making the system more complicated).  It is also
>vulnerable to anonymous relaying through bounce messages, since it
>deletes the Received: lines from the original message when bouncing
>it.  So if Exchange is used, another mail server must be placed between
>it and the internet to prevent untrusted sources from sending email
>to nonexistent users on the Exchange server.

URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

Post by Full Na » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You can run an Exchange server if you try hard enough.  It has a nice
add on that allows you to access your e-mail, diary, etc via a web
browser.

You can also sync your Palm Pilot with your Exchange mailbox.

However mailboxes can become corrupted which require an export and an
import to fix the problem.  If you try to run another service (such as
RAS) along with Exchange you may find your Exchange server takes an
eternity to shutdown.

One of the greatest problems with Exchange is the lack of server side
tools (at least with version 5.5).  You cannot manipulate your
mailboxes from the server side.  This must be done via Outlook (or
whatever client you choose).

Also it simply creates a massive binary file to store all the
mailboxes.  This may be a problem to backup.

I can honestly say that I ran exchange server on a Pentium 133MHz with
128-MB ram for 18 months without a single server side crash.  My boss
at that time could not have survived without it and refused to counter
the idea of switching to something else.  What else can you do with a
guy who has four people (him and three secretaries) making appoints in
four different locations?  And also insists he must be able to make
appointments on his palm pilot while on the plane to Sydney?

Post by Shrikan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> You can run an Exchange server if you try hard enough.  It has a nice
> add on that allows you to access your e-mail, diary, etc via a web
> browser.

> You can also sync your Palm Pilot with your Exchange mailbox.

> However mailboxes can become corrupted which require an export and an
> import to fix the problem.  If you try to run another service (such as
> RAS) along with Exchange you may find your Exchange server takes an
> eternity to shutdown.

> One of the greatest problems with Exchange is the lack of server side
> tools (at least with version 5.5).  You cannot manipulate your
> mailboxes from the server side.  This must be done via Outlook (or
> whatever client you choose).

> Also it simply creates a massive binary file to store all the
> mailboxes.  This may be a problem to backup.

> I can honestly say that I ran exchange server on a Pentium 133MHz with
> 128-MB ram for 18 months without a single server side crash.  My boss
> at that time could not have survived without it and refused to counter
> the idea of switching to something else.  What else can you do with a
> guy who has four people (him and three secretaries) making appoints in
> four different locations?  And also insists he must be able to make
> appointments on his palm pilot while on the plane to Sydney?

> >I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
> >as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
> >asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
> >is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
> >MS-Exchange or Groupwise.

> >Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
> >server and MS-Exchange.

> >The timing is critical because I have to have a proposal ready for
> >Monday, our board of directors meet on Tuesday.

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >Chris Trummer

Pl refer www.unix-vs-nt.org/kirch  .
Shrikant

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. gcc problem

3. urgent problem of fetchmail from MS exchange server

4. Scsh (a Unix Scheme shell) FAQ

5. Using Sendmail to e-mail MS-Exchange

6. Error message when using dlopen() in library <dlfcn.h>

7. MS Exchange Server e-mail client?

8. 3.1 FTP installation freezes at network config screen

9. Sendmail vs. MS-Exchange

10. MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

11. Linux Internet Email gateway and MS Exchange....

12. Why didn't netbackup backup MS-Exchange Server files?

13. Linux Based vs. MS Exchange