Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by Jeff Silverma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

People,

        Something odd is happening, and I am not sure that I understand it.  There is something called the
Sucks-Rules-O-Meter.  This thing uses Alta-Vista (http://www.veryComputer.com/) to
count the number of occurrances of XXXX rocks or XXXX sucks on the world wide web.  The operating
systems suck-rocks-o-meter is at http://www.veryComputer.com/;For this past month, as of Sat Sep 4
08:03:41 1999 GMT, there were 903 occurances of Linux rules or Linux rocks; 206 occurances of Linux
sucks; 504 occurances of Windows suck and 154 occurances of Windows rules or Windows rocks (no doubt
some of which are actually the string X windows rules or X windows rocks, but I digress).  So far,
no problem.

Religious Wars: Why Are DARPA Researchers Afraid of Windows NT?"
(http://www.veryComputer.com/) and he quotes the operating systems
suck-rocks-o-meter.  However, he reports that as of Monday Jul 20 1998 15:02:23 GMT, there were 952
occurances of Linux rules or Linux rocks; 205 occurances of Linux sucks; 1298 occurances of Windows
suck and 185 occurances of Windows rules or Windows rocks.

        At first, I was calculating rules/sucks ratios:

Linux   July 1998       952/205=4.6     Linux   Sept 1999:      903/206=4.3
Windows July 1998       185/1298=.14    Windows Sept 1999:      154/504=.31

I was perturbed because the ratios are declining for Linux and rising for Windows.

        But then I looked further and I discovered something else.  The total numbers are declining!

Linux   July 1998       952+205=1157    Linux   Sept 1999:      903+206=1109
Windows July 1998       185+1298=1483   Windows Sept 1999:      154+504=658

        However, I know that the total number of linux sites in operation have increased over time, because
the operating system counter and the Linux counter tell me so.  I suspect that Microsoft continues
to sell copies of Windows, because they are taking out full page ads trying to get me to buy more
copies of Windows (Wanna get all the bugs fixed in Windows/95???? Just buy Windows/98!!!!  Yeah,
right).

        There are a couple of possibilities that occur to me:

1) We're becoming more polite and not using the term "sucks" (with all its perjorative and *
connotations) as much anymore.
2) Alta Vista is not doing a good job counting anymore
3) Somebody is censoring the truth.

        Now, forgive me a touch of paranoia, but I read articles like
http://www.veryComputer.com/
possibility that Windows/NT does a scan for the string "windows sucks" in an I/O stream and replaces
it with something else?  If it did, how would we ever know?  For years, we've been joking that
Windows is a virus... what if it turned out it wasn't a joke?

--
Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband, father etc.
See my website: http://www.veryComputer.com/~jeffs

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the 5 Sep 1999 04:32:35 GMT...

Quote:> People,

[schnibble]

Quote:> --
> Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband, father etc.

I wonder how you get so much time on your hands for that kind of
nonsense if you're all you claim to be.

mawa
--
I walked away, overcome by the refusal or inability of this robot to
distinguish between the natural and the technological.

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 5 Sep 1999 04:32:35 GMT, Jeff Silverman

>    There are a couple of possibilities that occur to me:

>1) We're becoming more polite and not using the term "sucks" (with all its perjorative and *
>connotations) as much anymore.

That's got to be the reason.  Monica Lewinsky has put everyone off
the word!

Sorry - couldnt resist :-)

Post by Tim Hans » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On 5 Sep 1999 04:32:35 GMT, Jeff Silverman

>>        There are a couple of possibilities that occur to me:

>>1) We're becoming more polite and not using the term "sucks" (with all its perjorative and *
>>connotations) as much anymore.

>That's got to be the reason.  Monica Lewinsky has put everyone off
>the word!

>Sorry - couldnt resist :-)

They'd probably get their numbers back if they went to the 1999 pollution, "sux"
and "rox." :-)

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by S » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Wndows RULES!

LINUX RULES!

It's all good...

MAC SUCKS though!

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Wndows RULES!

> LINUX RULES!

> It's all good...

> MAC SUCKS though!

I pretty much agree with you at this point.  I run FreeBSD, Linux,
Windows98 on there hare machine.  All three are excellent OSes.  All three
have they're own particular strengths/weaknesses.

The true enemy here is Mac/MacOS.  MacOS is more unstable than Win98.
Also, if Macs are so great, then how come Apple's web site is running
Solaris?  Isn't MacOS good enough?  They obviously don't have enough
confidence in their own HW/OS to do the job.  Everyone always slams
Microsoft, but yet at least MS runs their own OS (WinNT).

--Donn

Post by Jerr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Wndows RULES!

> > LINUX RULES!

> > It's all good...

> > MAC SUCKS though!

> I pretty much agree with you at this point.  I run FreeBSD, Linux,
> Windows98 on there hare machine.  All three are excellent OSes.  All three
> have they're own particular strengths/weaknesses.

> The true enemy here is Mac/MacOS.  MacOS is more unstable than Win98.
> Also, if Macs are so great, then how come Apple's web site is running
> Solaris?  Isn't MacOS good enough?  They obviously don't have enough
> confidence in their own HW/OS to do the job.  Everyone always slams
> Microsoft, but yet at least MS runs their own OS (WinNT).

Except for "msn.com" which runs under Apache/UNIX and Hotmail which runs
under Solaris/FreeBSD..... Apart from those 2 HUGE MS sites all the
others run under NT (maybe....who can tell....).

The Macs more unstable than W98 ? I can't beleive that - I rarely see
W98 run a whole day without crashing - whilst our Macs run for weeks on
end....and Linux runs for months on end...

Jerry

Quote:

> --Donn

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by mik » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Wndows RULES!

>LINUX RULES!

>It's all good...

>MAC SUCKS though!

I think windows sucks too myself. they are suck actually. it is a matter
of which sucks more than the other. I think Linux and Unix systems
in general suck the least of them. and dos sucks the mosts. The
degree of suckness is subjective of course, but from my vast knowledge
of computer systems, I say that windows and dos and the mac can be
grouped in one family of systems that suck big time.

mike.

Post by Anthony O » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>It was the 5 Sep 1999 04:32:35 GMT...

>> People,

>[schnibble]

>> --
>> Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband, father etc.

>I wonder how you get so much time on your hands for that kind of
>nonsense if you're all you claim to be.

Wasn't someone writing about a cow enamelling business?

Quote:>mawa

Regards

Anthony
| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:05:18 GMT...

> >It was the 5 Sep 1999 04:32:35 GMT...

> >> People,

> >[schnibble]

> >> --
> >> Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband, father etc.

> >I wonder how you get so much time on your hands for that kind of
> >nonsense if you're all you claim to be.

> Wasn't someone writing about a cow enamelling business?

Notice that I neither claim to be a father nor a husband nor a
software engineer.

I am a *ager. As a rule, *agers have got too much time on their
hands.

mawa
--
Yes. It is an art. Look at the concept of the B+ tree. Isn't it
beautiful? You've got to admire it. But hey -- if you indeed manage to

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by laserne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Snip....

Quote:> I rarely see W98 run a whole day without crashing - whilst our Macs run
for weeks on
> end....and Linux runs for months on end...

> Jerry

That just shows your lack of knowledge about Win98. I'm yet to see a
machine, which was set up by me, to crash that frequently.....

Something odd is happening to the Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter

Post by Jerr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Snip....

> > I rarely see W98 run a whole day without crashing - whilst our Macs run
> for weeks on
> > end....and Linux runs for months on end...

> > Jerry

> That just shows your lack of knowledge about Win98. I'm yet to see a
> machine, which was set up by me, to crash that frequently.....

No - it shows my knowledge of W98 - I know several people with W98 -
most of them are MSCEs plus I know several companies that use W98 - it
crashes to often for comfort...

I can only beleive what you say....you MUST be worth a fortune - NOBODY
I know (and I know a few) can set W98 up that good........unless you
remove virtually all apps.....

Running MS applications (Word, Excell etc..) seems to enhance the
likelyhood of crashes. Perhaps you don't use these ?

I gave up with Windoze when I first used 3.1 .... I only use Windoze now
because I have to at work. It seems like a real amateur/toy OS when you
have had 20 years of UNIX experience - its pretty sad that most of the
world regards Windoze as good....

Post by Damond Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>No - it shows my knowledge of W98 - I know several people with W98 -
>most of them are MSCEs plus I know several companies that use W98 - it
>crashes to often for comfort...

<rant>

    Don't let those four letters fool you.  I could squash most MCSE's with
my pinky finger.  Doesn't take much either.  Take your typical MCSE and put
them in a enterprise situation with a few hundred users and they'll just
panic and start melting.

    I have my fair share of certs.  I fell for that *a few years ago.
Gimme someone with no computer skills and six weeks.  They will have an MCSE
in the end...

    All that matters in the end is that your customer doesn't want to kill
you.  If they're happy, well that's a bonus as well.  :)

</rant>

1. Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter - Linux Rules,Rocks

See
http://srom.zgp.org/
Updated Wed Oct 2 08:04:19 2002 GMT.

Sucks:Rules,Rocks over time
http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/data.html#os_stats

              19980720           20000512      hitgrowth
Windows  1298:185 = 7.0:1   4225:514 = 8.2:1    3.2
Linux     205:952 = 1:4.6   470:2903 = 1:6.2    2.9
MacOS      40:364 = 1:9.1      48:80 = 1:1.7    0.32
FreeBSD     3:78  = 1:26       7:598 = 1:85     7.5
Unix      228:278 = 1:1.2   160:332  =   1:2.1  1.0
VMS        21:39  = 1:1.9    24:50   =   1:2.1  1.2

            20021002         hitgrowth since 20000512
Windows  2807:608 = 4.62:1     0.72
Linux    1472:7065= 1:4.8      2.53
MacOS     222:71  = 3.1:1      2.28
MacOSX     32:95  = 1:3
FreeBSD    23:603 = 1:26.2     1.03
Unix      469:1956= 1:4.17     4.93
VMS         0:284 = out

Even with all the asistance of the wintrolls
**** Linux ROCKS more than Windows SUCKS ****

David Mohring - And "Unix" goes from strength to strength.

2. Parse error when compiling Regina

3. Operating System Sucks Meter

4. Messages file, What is happening with rmmod

5. Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

6. anyone familiar with prelink

7. Real operating systems, toy operating systems

8. CD writing software

9. I am trying to do an unbiased comparison of operating systems

10. i am going to setup linux operating system

11. X-windows sucks..sucks...sucks!!!!

12. Try RULE, was: Is it just me or RH 7.3 really sucks?