Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Post by Don't have a cow man.. » Sat, 04 May 2002 02:17:41

Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted an article about one
author's experience with the '*' PCs being sold by WalMart. Overall,
the experience was a good one with the big exception being the included
modem.

Well, guess what? MicroTel, the company making the WalMart PC, will soon
begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its WalMart PC line. Now wasn't
it flatty and Warren who were harping on the lack of influence by the
Linux community? Wasn't flatty and Warren who were saying that Linux users
aren't a big enough market for OEMs to cater to? Well, they are wrong. And
here's the proof.

The Linux community *does* have a voice, and it is being heard, if not
heeded.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:
"On Monday, we published the article, "Installing Linux On a Wal-Mart
OS-less machine." The review was positive overall, but it highlighted a
problem: that the modem included in the machine has no functional Linux
driver.

"Less than three days later, the builder of the Wal-Mart systems, Microtel
Computer Systems, announced that it has heard the voice of the Open Source
community and will soon begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its
Wal-Mart PC packages."

Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Post by mjt » Sat, 04 May 2002 02:58:39

Quote:> Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted an article about one
> author's experience with the '*' PCs being sold by WalMart. Overall,
> the experience was a good one with the big exception being the included
> modem.

> Well, guess what? MicroTel, the company making the WalMart PC, will soon
> begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its WalMart PC line. Now wasn't

there is no such thing as a Linux-compatible
modem - the modem in question is a Lucent
*software modem*, which means it is a so-called
"win modem" - these modems are not TRUE MODEMS,
but dummy modems - they require driver/software
to "complete" them. i'm sure microsoft went out
to the modem manufacturers and bought them out
too ...

"listen, if y'all build crippled modems, we'll
 ensure you have a locked market (since we are
 the premier monopolistic company) ... we will
 get our suboptimal operating system included
 on vendors' PC's, and we'll ensure your modems
 can only run on our suboptimal microsoft
 operating system".

a REAL modem doesnt need software to operate
properly - the only software would be that to
execute the "AT" command set to the modem, and
then once online, provide basic RS-232-like
communications.

--
+==================================
+==================================

Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Post by Terry Por.. » Sat, 04 May 2002 02:52:48

Don't have a cow man... threw some tea leaves on the floor

Quote:> Quote:
> "On Monday, we published the article, "Installing Linux On a Wal-Mart
> OS-less machine." The review was positive overall, but it highlighted a
> problem: that the modem included in the machine has no functional Linux
> driver.

> "Less than three days later, the builder of the Wal-Mart systems, Microtel
> Computer Systems, announced that it has heard the voice of the Open Source
> community and will soon begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its
> Wal-Mart PC packages."

Brilliant!

Anyone hear the Linux Tsunami coming (apart from Bill Gates)?

--
              Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Sorcerer kernel 2.4.17

Post by Don't have a cow man.. » Sat, 04 May 2002 03:36:35

>> Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted an article about one
>> author's experience with the '*' PCs being sold by WalMart.
>> Overall, the experience was a good one with the big exception being the
>> included modem.

>> Well, guess what? MicroTel, the company making the WalMart PC, will
>> soon begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its WalMart PC line. Now
>> wasn't

> there is no such thing as a Linux-compatible modem - the modem in
> question is a Lucent *software modem*, which means it is a so-called
> "win modem" - these modems are not TRUE MODEMS, but dummy modems - they
> require driver/software to "complete" them. i'm sure microsoft went out
> to the modem manufacturers and bought them out too ...

> "listen, if y'all build crippled modems, we'll
>  ensure you have a locked market (since we are the premier monopolistic
>  company) ... we will get our suboptimal operating system included on
>  vendors' PC's, and we'll ensure your modems can only run on our
>  suboptimal microsoft operating system".

> a REAL modem doesnt need software to operate properly - the only
> software would be that to execute the "AT" command set to the modem, and
> then once online, provide basic RS-232-like communications.

:P~~ *plpppt*

Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Post by jackso » Sat, 04 May 2002 03:45:01

[snipped really good things]

This WalMart story is big...I think bigger than most people think. Why?
1) Because 90% of what's going on those PCs is pirated M$ junk. There
goes M$ cash flow because Walmart is a volume powerhouse.
2) It's big for Linux, because suddenly hardware isn't an issue for the
newbie which has been THE number one obstacle to newcomers sticking with
Linux after trying it.

Let's see....KDE 3.0 is a blockbuster!!!

Hardware not really an issue!!!

Netscape making a BIG come back!!!

Apache 2.0...Thanks ASF, we owe you much for your supernumerary efforts.

etc

jackson

Post by Greg Co » Sat, 04 May 2002 03:55:52

> > Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted an article about one
> > author's experience with the '*' PCs being sold by WalMart. Overall,
> > the experience was a good one with the big exception being the included
> > modem.

> > Well, guess what? MicroTel, the company making the WalMart PC, will soon
> > begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its WalMart PC line. Now wasn't

> there is no such thing as a Linux-compatible
> modem - the modem in question is a Lucent
> *software modem*, which means it is a so-called
> "win modem" - these modems are not TRUE MODEMS,
> but dummy modems - they require driver/software
> to "complete" them. i'm sure microsoft went out
> to the modem manufacturers and bought them out
> too ...

> "listen, if y'all build crippled modems, we'll
>  ensure you have a locked market (since we are
>  the premier monopolistic company) ... we will
>  get our suboptimal operating system included
>  on vendors' PC's, and we'll ensure your modems
>  can only run on our suboptimal microsoft
>  operating system".

How about this version:  listen OEM, I can sell you my modem for $10
cheaper than the other guy.  The only issue is is that the end user has
to use it with Windows since we made simplified hardware the uses the
CPU for some of the work.  But that really doesn't matter since you sell
all of your boxes with Windows anyway...

Quote:

--

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Sat, 04 May 2002 04:35:42

> [snipped really good things]

> This WalMart story is big...I think bigger than most people think. Why?
> 1) Because 90% of what's going on those PCs is pirated M$ junk. There
> goes M$ cash flow because Walmart is a volume powerhouse. 2) It's big
> for Linux, because suddenly hardware isn't an issue for the newbie which
> has been THE number one obstacle to newcomers sticking with Linux after
> trying it.

> Let's see....KDE 3.0 is a blockbuster!!!

> Hardware not really an issue!!!

> Netscape making a BIG come back!!!

> Apache 2.0...Thanks ASF, we owe you much for your supernumerary efforts.

> etc

> jackson

And this on Microtel's website (which runs Apache on Linux, BTW)...

Software compatibility - Windows NT, Windows 2000, LINUX (RED HAT 6.2,
7.0, 7.1, SuSE 7.1,7.2) & Netware 5.0

Looks like Microtel understands.

Post by mjt » Sat, 04 May 2002 04:52:15

>> there is no such thing as a Linux-compatible
>> modem - the modem in question is a Lucent
>> *software modem*, which means it is a so-called
>> "win modem" - these modems are not TRUE MODEMS,
>> but dummy modems - they require driver/software
>> to "complete" them. i'm sure microsoft went out
>> to the modem manufacturers and bought them out
>> too ...

>> "listen, if y'all build crippled modems, we'll
>>  ensure you have a locked market (since we are
>>  the premier monopolistic company) ... we will
>>  get our suboptimal operating system included
>>  on vendors' PC's, and we'll ensure your modems
>>  can only run on our suboptimal microsoft
>>  operating system".
> How about this version:  listen OEM, I can sell you my modem for $10
> cheaper than the other guy.  The only issue is is that the end user has
> to use it with Windows since we made simplified hardware the uses the
> CPU for some of the work.  But that really doesn't matter since you sell
> all of your boxes with Windows anyway...

yep ... sound like a good pitch to me
(mine was a lot of spas :)

Quote:>> a REAL modem doesnt need software to operate

--
+==================================

Post by mlw » Sat, 04 May 2002 05:31:26

> THE number one obstacle to newcomers is Linux itself.

How so?

Quote:

> >Let's see....KDE 3.0 is a blockbuster!!!

> Windows copy more like it.

Oh, please. KDE is different enough from Windows to be distinctive. All UIs
copy the best features from one another. Lest we forget how much Microsoft
stole from the Mac, or how much the Mac stole from Xerox.

Quote:

> >Hardware not really an issue!!!

> >Netscape making a BIG come back!!!

> It's a bugfest....

Much less so than IE.

Quote:

> >Apache 2.0...Thanks ASF, we owe you much for your supernumerary efforts.

> Do you think the average Walmart customer even knows what Linux is

The average wallmart customer will not buy a computer. Some number of people
will buy a computer from Wallmart, perhaps more so without the cost of Windows.
As long as it brings people to the store, that is all Wallmart cares about.
Quote:

> Sam

Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Post by Sinister Midge » Sat, 04 May 2002 05:41:41

On Thu, 02 May 2002 19:58:39 -0500, mjt claimed:

>> Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted an article about one
>> author's experience with the '*' PCs being sold by WalMart.
>> Overall, the experience was a good one with the big exception being the
>> included modem.

>> Well, guess what? MicroTel, the company making the WalMart PC, will
>> soon begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its WalMart PC line. Now
>> wasn't

> there is no such thing as a Linux-compatible modem - the modem in
> question is a Lucent *software modem*, which means it is a so-called
> "win modem" - these modems are not TRUE MODEMS, but dummy modems - they
> require driver/software to "complete" them. i'm sure microsoft went out
> to the modem manufacturers and bought them out too ...

Although terminology wasn't good, the point was they are now putting
hardware modems into the machine to satisfy the non-proprietary
requirements because people have to basically build drivers for the other
*from scratch.

'And correct it he did. That evening, I received notice that Microtel had
designated a hardware modem that would take the place of the current
modem. Mr. Hindman explained, "Effective 5-7-02, all units will ship with
the new hardware modem." The short delay on implementation was required
because they would not have the new modem in stock until May 7.'

--
Windows: Because 50,000 script kiddies can't be wrong.

Post by Peter K?hlman » Sat, 04 May 2002 07:02:15

>>> THE number one obstacle to newcomers is Linux itself.

>>How so?

> The old story, Hard to use, no standards, no apps, blah blah blah.

>>> Windows copy more like it.

>>Oh, please. KDE is different enough from Windows to be distinctive. All
>>UIs copy the best features from one another. Lest we forget how much
>>Microsoft stole from the Mac, or how much the Mac stole from Xerox.

> Sure, they all copied, but only Apple thought they owned the GUI.

So, what are you whning about? How MS stole the GUI from Apple?

Quote:>>> >Hardware not really an issue!!!

>>> It's a bugfest....

>>Much less so than IE.

> What are you talking about ? IE is great, the last few versions (5 and
> 6) have had no real problems. It works with everything and I can't
> remember the last time IE crashed on me.

That would be because for remembering something you need at least the
approximation of a substitue of a brain.

Peter
--
Only two things are infinite,
 the Universe and Stupidity.

Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem

Post by rapska » Sat, 04 May 2002 09:15:54

Error Log for Fri, 03 May 2002 00:08:15 -0400: segfault in module "Sam
Richards" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> What are you talking about ? IE is great, the last few versions (5 and
> 6) have had no real problems. It works with everything and I can't
> remember the last time IE crashed on me.

Yeah, especially with buggy virii code.  Did they ever incorporate a
pop-up blocker in IE?  How about a tabbed MDI so you don't have a bunch of
windows strewn about your desktop?  I didn't think so.  Do these guys
think about the users at all when they write this stuff?

I mean, how hard would it be to incorporate the negligible lines of code
it would take to implement these features?  There is a wrapper browser for
windows called NetCaptor that incorporates these and has all of the
functionality of IE as it uses the same libs.

If IE never crashes on you, then your definition of crash must be when the
computer is reduced to pile of molten plastic, metal and silicon.

Quote:> I haven't use Netscape for a while but the newsgroup reports look bad.

There are plenty other fish in the sea besides these two you know.  I
don't like Netscape myself as it's only marginally better than IE IMHO.
However there are plenty of excellent less bloated and buggy alternatives:
Opera, Konqueror, and Galeon quickly come to mind.

--
rapskat  -  3:00am  up 8 days, 12:44,  5 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.11, 0.09
drop the hot to mail me

Revenge is a dish best served cold. -- Anon. Klingon

Post by Rick » Sat, 04 May 2002 13:01:52

>>[snipped really good things]

>>This WalMart story is big...I think bigger than most people think. Why?
>>1) Because 90% of what's going on those PCs is pirated M$ junk. There
>>goes M$ cash flow because Walmart is a volume powerhouse.

> You guys complain like *es when MS offers volume discounts to big
> companies like Dell, so big are the discounts that they load it on all
> PC's (which is MS' intention)

No, they offer volume discounts ONLY if the OEM DOESN'T put anopther OS
on the same machine. And, since it Dells with linux are more expensive
than Dells with window$, it appears the micro$oft tax is still included,

Quote:

> Then you admit that the biggest seller of PC's without OS's results in
> people just pirating MS software.

when did WalMart become the biggest seller of PC's? Or did you mean Dell,
Gateway, HP or what?

Quote:

> You guys just don't like the capitalist system.

I don't like criminals and I don't like crappy software.

Quote:

>>2) It's big for Linux, because suddenly hardware isn't an issue for the
>>newbie which has been THE number one obstacle to newcomers sticking with
>>Linux after trying it.

> THE number one obstacle to newcomers is Linux itself.

How is Linux an obstacle to newcomers?

Quote:

>>Let's see....KDE 3.0 is a blockbuster!!!

> Windows copy more like it.

You show your ignorance.

Quote:

>>Hardware not really an issue!!!

Note: no response.

Quote:

>>Netscape making a BIG come back!!!

> It's a bugfest....

again, you show your ignorance.

Quote:

>>Apache 2.0...Thanks ASF, we owe you much for your supernumerary efforts.

> Do you think the average Walmart customer even knows what Linux is ?

many of the customers that will buy thos "OS-less" computers will know
what apache is.

--
Rick

Post by Norman D. Megi » Sat, 04 May 2002 16:16:25

Quote:>Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted an article about one
>author's experience with the '*' PCs being sold by WalMart. Overall,
>the experience was a good one with the big exception being the included
>modem.

>Well, guess what? MicroTel, the company making the WalMart PC, will soon
>begin shipping Linux-compatible modems in its WalMart PC line. Now wasn't

[snip]

Do the Wal-Mart PC's actually come with a blank disk?  How do they
support them?

I think it would be neat if the Wal-Mart PC's actually came with a copy
of Linux on them, but not advertised.  It wouldn't cost them anything.
They could just say it's not an OS but just an unsupported "factory
maintenance program" that should be deleted when customers install the
OS of their choice.  But it would be fully configured to work correctly
with the modem, sound card, etc.  Customers would be in for a surprise
when the see that the "factory maintenance program" has a full-blown
OpenOffice suite, Mozilla, Gimp, some games, ready-to-go ethernet
Internet connection, etc.  (insert your favorites...).

They can't call it an OS, since otherwise users who want a choice might
run afoul of the law according to Microsoft:  "It is a legal requirement
that pre-installed operating systems remain with a machine for the life
of the machine." http://www.veryComputer.com/

--Norm

Post by Johan Lindquis » Sat, 04 May 2002 16:29:08

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  4:22pm  up 46 days, 17:06,  3 users,  load average: 1.26, 1.29, 1.21

1. Installing Linux on a Wal-Mart OS-less PC

A couple of months ago, we were all discussing the merits of the WalMart
move to distribute 'naked' PCs. This article on Newsforge talks about his
experience with Linux on the low-end model. Things look pretty good for
Linux XF on this box - a person might even be able to make a small side
business reselling these with Linux XF installed.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/29/0218241.shtml?tid=7

Quote:

"As previously mentioned, the Wal-Mart site currently lists 14 machines
without an operating system. All are listed under the Microtel brand, and
include a selection of Celeron, Duron, Athlon, and Pentium 4 processors
ranging from 1 to 2 GHz. The prices range from a consumer-friendly U.S.
$398 for a 1 GHz Duron or Celeron box, to a top-end 2 GHz Pentium 4 at
U.S. $868. The low end offerings start with a "mere" 128 MB of memory,
while the upper end tops out at hefty 512 MB installed. And to think that
I still have a few 256 KB (yes, that's one quarter of a megabyte) SIMMs
sitting in my drawer. The low end is a heck of a lot nicer than it was
just a few years ago.

"For the purposes of this review, we ordered a 1 GHz Duron system for U.S.
$398. We figured that this would be a relatively popular selection among
the more cost-conscious Linux users. With shipping, the total was a
manageable U.S. $413. We ordered the PC on the evening of April 11 and it
came to my door on April 22."

2. ANYONE with an IOMEGA/Bernoulli disk?

3. Is your Wal-Mart PC so great now

4. TV500

5. Is your Wal-Mart PC so great now?

6. x/afterstep...

7. Wal-Mart Microtel PCs - worth the $200?

8. help, redhat5 will not mount my cd or see mouse!

9. Solution to Wal-Mart PC, strange keyboard with

10. Wal-Mart $200 Microtel SYSMAR710 800 MHz PC with LindowsOS

11. Is your Wal-Mart PC so great now

12. Cheap modem at Wal-Mart

13. OT: Wal-Mart, Sun & Linux