Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

Post by Daero » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:13:33

http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1015096.html
Microsoft to buy antivirus software maker
Matthew Broersma, June 10 2003

Microsoft has announced its intention to acquire GeCad Software, a
Romanian antivirus technology developer, in order to improve the
security in its Windows platform.

  The deal, the financial terms of which were not disclosed, would add a
team of antivirus experts to Microsoft's stable of developers and give
the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all its
products ...
---

"Malicious code and worms are a big threat to our customers," said
Hilary Wittman, Microsoft's security marketing manager for the United
Kingdom.

As a side benefit, Wittman said the acquisition would give Microsoft a
more significant presence in software development in Europe.

Matthew Broersma reported from London.
------- unquote -------

I wonder will these 'antivirus systems' cost extra on top of the yearly
rent ?
---

Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

Post by Pete » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:42:48

this quote is from Daeron of Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:13 :

Quote:> http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1015096.html
> Microsoft to buy antivirus software maker
> Matthew Broersma, June 10 2003

> Microsoft has announced its intention to acquire GeCad Software, a
> Romanian antivirus technology developer, in order to improve the
> security in its Windows platform.

interesting, could be bad news for Symantec, McAfee, et al.

Like they say, a Microsoft partner is a victim they haven't gotten round to
yet.

Peter

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:56:39

> http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1015096.html
> Microsoft to buy antivirus software maker
> Matthew Broersma, June 10 2003

> Microsoft has announced its intention to acquire GeCad Software, a
> Romanian antivirus technology developer, in order to improve the
> security in its Windows platform.

>   The deal, the financial terms of which were not disclosed, would add a
> team of antivirus experts to Microsoft's stable of developers and give
> the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all its
> products ...
> ---

> "Malicious code and worms are a big threat to our customers," said
> Hilary Wittman, Microsoft's security marketing manager for the United
> Kingdom.

> As a side benefit, Wittman said the acquisition would give Microsoft a
> more significant presence in software development in Europe.

> Matthew Broersma reported from London.
> ------- unquote -------

> I wonder will these 'antivirus systems' cost extra on top of the yearly
> rent ?
> ---

I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

MS even said they have no plans to sell GeCad's products.

Post by Daero » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:28:55

>>http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1015096.html
>>Microsoft to buy antivirus software maker
>>Matthew Broersma, June 10 2003

>>Microsoft has announced its intention to acquire GeCad Software, a
>>Romanian antivirus technology developer, in order to improve the
>>security in its Windows platform.

>>  The deal, the financial terms of which were not disclosed, would add a
>>team of antivirus experts to Microsoft's stable of developers and give
>>the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all its
>>products ...
>>---
>>"Malicious code and worms are a big threat to our customers," said
>>Hilary Wittman, Microsoft's security marketing manager for the United
>>Kingdom.
>>As a side benefit, Wittman said the acquisition would give Microsoft a
>>more significant presence in software development in Europe.

>>Matthew Broersma reported from London.
>>------- unquote -------
>>I wonder will these 'antivirus systems' cost extra on top of the yearly
>>rent ?
> I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
> just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
> windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

".. give the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all
its products .."

What exactly does this sentence fragment mean ?

[ folks, I know I'm going to regret asking this :) ]

Quote:> MS even said they have no plans to sell GeCad's products.

Yes, that is true. What they are planing to do is "continue developing
the company's products" and "offer antivirus systems across all its
products"

"Microsoft said that, although it was planning to acquire GeCad's
intellectual property, it would not continue developing the company's
products."

Where does any of this mean that Microsoft is *not* going to make money
out of selling anti-virus $product.

ps: why don't they make an Operating System that don't catch 'viruses ?
---
---

Post by Anupam Sharm » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:34:52

> I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
> just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
> windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

Well, imho windows is one big virus u get on a CD. If OE is not a virus, then
what is? It is not a knowledge base or rocket science that is required to make
any OS secure, it is something much more basic, called common sense. But with
employees like Eric (who think GPL is invalid, amoung other things) I guess MS
have a short supply of that. And when putting hooks into the system is the
primary agenda of the company who writes the code, security and quality are
bound to suffer, like they are.

Quote:> MS even said they have no plans to sell GeCad's products.

Trusting a rattlesnake, are we? But that is a different story I guess..

shine on
-a.

Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

Post by horn » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:00:45

Erik Funkenbusch scribbled:

<deletia>

Quote:> MS even said they have no plans to sell GeCad's products.

Of course Microsoft does not intend to sell GeCad products.  Microsoft
intends to incorporate their technology into Microsoft Windows operating
system and applications and will call it innovation.

I have not encountered a single virus while running GNU/Linux.

--
Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

Post by Daero » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:29:10

> Erik Funkenbusch scribbled:
> <deletia>
>>MS even said they have no plans to sell GeCad's products.
> Of course Microsoft does not intend to sell GeCad products.  Microsoft
> intends to incorporate their technology into Microsoft Windows operating
> system and applications and will call it innovation.
> I have not encountered a single virus while running GNU/Linux.

I wonder will Microsoft 'incorporate this AV software into the OS and
claim that removing it will break the system ?

Will other peoples AV software mysteriously stop working ?

Will Microsoft give away the AV sortware for free and then charge for
the online signatures update ?

shouldn't someone organise a class action legal suite for all those
man/hours lost to 'viruses' ?
---

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:31:11

>>>http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1015096.html
>>>Microsoft to buy antivirus software maker
>>>Matthew Broersma, June 10 2003

>>>Microsoft has announced its intention to acquire GeCad Software, a
>>>Romanian antivirus technology developer, in order to improve the
>>>security in its Windows platform.

>>>  The deal, the financial terms of which were not disclosed, would add a
>>>team of antivirus experts to Microsoft's stable of developers and give
>>>the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all its
>>>products ...
>>>---

>>>"Malicious code and worms are a big threat to our customers," said
>>>Hilary Wittman, Microsoft's security marketing manager for the United
>>>Kingdom.

>>>As a side benefit, Wittman said the acquisition would give Microsoft a
>>>more significant presence in software development in Europe.

>>>Matthew Broersma reported from London.
>>>------- unquote -------

>>>I wonder will these 'antivirus systems' cost extra on top of the yearly
>>>rent ?

>> I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
>> just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
>> windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

> ".. give the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all
> its products .."

> What exactly does this sentence fragment mean ?

It likely means that they intend to make their systems virus resistant.  Or
it could mean they intend to create an "antivirus API", much like they
currently have Cryptography and Backup API's to allow third parties to plug
in modules.

Quote:> Where does any of this mean that Microsoft is *not* going to make money
> out of selling anti-virus $product.

I don't know if they are.  Microsoft tried to sell antivirus once before,
with DOS 6, and that was hopelessly out of date almost instantly.  I don't
think Microsoft wants to be in the virus protection business because it
moves so fast.

Quote:> ps: why don't they make an Operating System that don't catch 'viruses ?

I think that's the point.

Post by Daero » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:49:23

>>>I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
>>>just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
>>>windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.
>>".. give the company the ability to offer antivirus systems across all
>>its products .."
>>What exactly does this sentence fragment mean ?
> It likely means that they intend to make their systems virus resistant.  Or
> it could mean they intend to create an "antivirus API", much like they
> currently have Cryptography and Backup API's to allow third parties to plug
> in modules.

I don't think so. If the're not going to sell directly to the public
then they will probably 'license' the technology to the various vendors
to 'incorporate into their own products. That waw if there ever were a
little 'accident then MICROS~1 wouldn't get the blame.

Quote:>>Where does any of this mean that Microsoft is *not* going to make money
>>out of selling anti-virus $product.
> I don't know if they are.  Microsoft tried to sell antivirus once before,
> with DOS 6, and that was hopelessly out of date almost instantly.  I don't
> think Microsoft wants to be in the virus protection business because it
> moves so fast.

I can think of a different reason. Imagine the first time one of these
"antivirus API" protected products hits the market and it catches a
virus. People would be right in asking  how can a company who can't even
protect its own products sell us AV software for doing the same thing ?

Have Microsofts own development servers ever been hit in the past ?

Quote:>>ps: why don't they make an Operating System that don't catch 'viruses ?
> I think that's the point.

That is the point, and what is the answer, our erik ?

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:42:52

> Microsoft has announced its intention to acquire GeCad Software, a
> Romanian antivirus technology developer, in order to improve the security
> in its Windows platform.

RAV Antvirus is an excellent piece of software. It's a shame it's going to
be gobbled up by Microsoft.
--
[tv]

"This has been a test of the Micro$oft Outlook Virus System. Had this been an
actual virus, you would have been... well, you would have been fscked."

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:47:29

> Have Microsofts own development servers ever been hit in the past ?

The Slammer worm penetrated the company's network defenses and infected a
number of SQL Server databases and desktop machines.

The infected machines were concentrated in an area of Microsoft's network
used by SQL Server developers.

--

Post by Freerid » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:06:11

> I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
> just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
> windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

So you are saying that Microsoft does not know how their OS works? :) :)

Post by Sinister Midge » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:48:56

>> I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think they
>> just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses attack
>> windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

> So you are saying that Microsoft does not know how their OS works? :) :)

Precisely! Instead of asking people who can tell them some things they
should fix, they're going to try curing the symptoms some more.

I don't think they realize that's what they've been doing for some
time.

--
XP: The ME of NT.

Post by cybea » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:05:12

> smoked:

>>> I don't think Microsoft intends to sell anti-virus software.  I think
>>> they just wanted to acquire a broad base of knowledge about how viruses
>>> attack windows, so they can design windows to be less susceptible.

>> So you are saying that Microsoft does not know how their OS works? :) :)

> Precisely! Instead of asking people who can tell them some things they
> should fix, they're going to try curing the symptoms some more.

> I don't think they realize that's what they've been doing for some
> time.

Ni, they know exactly what they are doing. Rather than fix the problem, they
are selling doses of "medicine" to releave the symptoms. If they fix the
problem in the OS then they can only collect for the solution one time. If
they charge for the "medicine" on a monthly basis, the can collect again
and again and again as long as the user is willing to fork over the money.
Yes, MS knows exactly what they are doing. The economic incentive is to
create a treatment and not a cure. The drug companies have known this for
years.

Post by Sinister Midge » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:46:31

>> smoked:

>>> So you are saying that Microsoft does not know how their OS works? :) :)

>> Precisely! Instead of asking people who can tell them some things they
>> should fix, they're going to try curing the symptoms some more.

>> I don't think they realize that's what they've been doing for some
>> time.

> Ni, they know exactly what they are doing. Rather than fix the problem, they
> are selling doses of "medicine" to releave the symptoms. If they fix the
> problem in the OS then they can only collect for the solution one time. If
> they charge for the "medicine" on a monthly basis, the can collect again
> and again and again as long as the user is willing to fork over the money.
> Yes, MS knows exactly what they are doing. The economic incentive is to
> create a treatment and not a cure. The drug companies have known this for
> years.

Why not do both? They could create a product that they could hope might
undercut linux. That would have to be more secure (numero uno) and
stabler. They could also produce anti-malware products and claim that
they were better in part due to that. Enough dopes exist that would buy
both and not see the glaring conflict.*

They'd still have a lock on sheeple with the feeeeeeeechure treadmill,
too.

* Not that it would work in the long run. But it might help them to
stanch the flow of * from the artery and buy them enough time to
get the burger chain up and running. Besides, they aren't going to
create a better product because they aren't. It's no harder nor easier
than that. "Can't", "don't want to" and "don't know how" may each hold
some partial truth. But the actual answer is "they aren't. Not without
a strong marketing angle, anyway.

--
Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question. The answer is NO!

1. Microsoft bundles Operating System with IE NEWS.COM.com

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1011859.html
Microsoft to abandon standalone IE
Evan Hansen  May 31 2003
-
Microsoft is phasing out standalone versions of its Internet Explorer
Web browser, according to statements attributed to IE program manager
Brian Countryman in an interview posted on the software giant's Web site.
-
  "As part of the OS (operating system), IE will continue to evolve, but
there will be no future standalone installations. IE6 SP1 is the final
standalone installation," Countryman said in the the May 7 interview.
-
Microsoft issued a standalone browser with IE 6, following a court
ruling that found the company had violated antitrust laws by bundling IE
with its Windows operating system. The company has since settled the
case with the Justice Department and most of the other parties to the
suit, although a handful of holdouts continue to press for additional
remedies.
------- unquote -------

see also http://news.com.com/2009-1001-964255.html?tag=nl

see also http://news.com.com/2110-1016-994647.html?tag=nl
---

Isn't this what the whole friggin case was about ?

* Get found out.
* Get found guilty.
* Wait a while.
* then go ahead and do it anyway.
---

2. Help redirecting SSH ports

3. Microsoft uses non-compete clause to stifle home networking innovation, news.COM.com

4. help

5. Microsoft's connection to SCO anti-Linux campaign -- NEWS.COM.com

6. Problems mounting floppy in Solaris 8 for x86

7. Faustian bargain of the Otto von Bismarck of software, news.COM.com

8. PostgreSQL and FreeBSD

9. Novell may challenge SCO Linux claims -- NEWS.COM.com

10. Novell, SCO agreement specifically excludes copyrights and patents, news.COM.com

11. Red Hat, Fujitsu sign partnership -- NEWS.COM.com

12. fester: noncommercial software only gives the illusion of support news.COM.com

13. SCO claims IP rights on derivative code, news.Com.com