Windows 95, what a joke.

Post by d.. » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Regarding the following statement of mine --

Quote:> [character code 136 deleted, as it could get corrupted in transmission--DS]

wrote --

Quote:> Was it corrupted when you viewed it?
> (I only ask because you stated "as it could get corrupted", leading me to
> believe it wasn't when you received the transmission)

I'm lucky; all connections outside the USA seem to be eight-bit clean. In
the USA, however, there are still many seven-bit connections.

Not long ago someone used the (non-ASCII) character code 241 in a post
(to alt.ascii-art, I think) and as we were discussing the merits of
different ways to input the different characters that different systems
assign to the value 241 -- O-grave, n-tilde, plus/minus sign -- one
smart-aleck came out with (paraphrasing here) "Option+n followed by n --
that's a *great* way to type a q! That must be quite a system, the Mac!
Ha, ha, ha!" The high bit had been laid low, chopping 128 off the
character value, so he received 113, an ASCII q.

I sent a table of non-ASCII codes to a pal in Kuwait and it arrived in
fine shape; he sent it to his brother in Minnesota, and it arrived with
everything that wasn't ASCII changed into an exclamation mark.

Those are harmless examples. My comms program mimics a DEC VT-100
terminal, and when it receives a Ctrl-N code it goes into Martian mode.
This used to happen when it received the character value 142 also, and
this value seems to be used in a common Japanese encoding method; if I
got a hit on a Japanese site in an Alta Vista search, BLAM, good-bye
screen display. Eventually I figured out how to make my shell account,
browser, and comms program eight-bit clean so that wouldn't happen, but
some folks aren't as lucky. The values 128 through 159 should not be used
in text on the Internet, period.

Quote:>                                                    And maybe I like
> scrambling your display.  Maybe it gives me a sick sense of satisfaction.

Can't accommodate you there, I'm afraid, but I must commend you on your
honesty ;-).

Quote:>> - opened it with some other app. Could you try it? I'd be much obliged.

> Using Monaco in this screen.  Using Helvetica in Eudora. Using geneva in
> Claris emailer. (I like a change of scenery.)  I can see it fine in any one
> of these. Saved it as text and opened it in simple text and bbedit. Looks
> fine. Popped it over to the ole' x86. Wordperfect saw it fine there also.
> Even read the groups on the x86 (in dos and windows) and saw it fine there.

Ah, Monaco. My all-time favorite. You said the character was a check mark
on your screen. Seein' as how no x86-based text-mode code page has a
check mark, and programs that convert correctly between the DOS and
Windross extended character sets are rare indeed, I hesitate to offer
thanks for, uh, checking.

The DOS and Mac character sets both have radical signs that often get
pressed into service as check marks. Neither one is assigned to the value
136. There is no radical sign or check mark in ISO 8859-1 or the Windross
extension to it.

Quote:> Maybe it's a * against you!

I would be honored. Doubtless there are conspiracies; there is definitely
not a *, but a competition, to see which company can make
character set conversions the most difficult and annoying.

Dunno how I would deal with these characters if I couldn't get out, ride
through pine-scented woods, and listen to the birds every now and then.

Dan Strychalski

Windows 95, what a joke.

Post by ent.. » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

- Regarding the following statement of mine --
*snipped for space*
- Dunno how I would deal with these characters if I couldn't get out, ride
- through pine-scented woods, and listen to the birds every now and then.
-
- Dan Strychalski

Well, thank you for not taking the post too seriously!  I admit, sometimes
I get a bit carried away.  As you can see, I have removed the offending
character.
And I promise to be a kinder gentler me! I'm even changing the name I'm
posting under! (after this post, of course).  So next time you see me (even
in disguise, I'm sure you'll recognize me) you will NOT see the check mark.

Thanks,
Entity

oh, yeah, and I really do enjoy and promote getting out and listening to
the birds! Especially at the break of dawn.

--

Windows 95, what a joke.

Post by d.. » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> And I promise to be a kinder gentler me! I'm even changing the name I'm
> posting under! (after this post, of course).  So next time you see me (even
> in disguise, I'm sure you'll recognize me) you will NOT see the check mark.

You're all right, Entity. I look forward to whatever may come.

Quote:> Thanks,

I thank you, too.

Quote:> oh, yeah, and I really do enjoy and promote getting out and listening to
> the birds! Especially at the break of dawn.

Isn't it fascinating how they all seem to start at just about the same time?
(Well before true dawn, too, it seems.)

Dan Strychalski

Windows 95, what a joke.

Post by Steve H » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

:
:> And I promise to be a kinder gentler me! I'm even changing the name I'm
:> posting under! (after this post, of course).  So next time you see me (even
:> in disguise, I'm sure you'll recognize me) you will NOT see the check mark.
:
:You're all right, Entity. I look forward to whatever may come.
:
:> Thanks,
:
:I thank you, too.
:
:> oh, yeah, and I really do enjoy and promote getting out and listening to
:> the birds! Especially at the break of dawn.
:
:Isn't it fascinating how they all seem to start at just about the same time?
:(Well before true dawn, too, it seems.)

If I ever get my hands on that 3:00 am mockingbird in the neighbor's
walnut tree...

Windows 95, what a joke.

Post by Robert Billin » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> If I ever get my hands on that 3:00 am mockingbird in the neighbor's
> walnut tree...

 [Shreeik]
 "What was that?"
 "It's an owl."
 "I'll give it something to owl about. It's 2:00 am."
 "You can't do that, it's an endangered species."
 "Anything that makes a noise like that at 2:00 am is soon going to
   *become* to be an endangered species."

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, inventor, traveller, cook and animal
lover, I live near 0:46W 51:22N. http://www.tnglwood.demon.co.uk/

1. X/X Windows (was Re: Windows 95, what a joke.)

   >There is no such thing as X Windows.

   I can't resist.  Yes there is!  It's a GUI for UNIX systems
   which is quite handy.  I'm using it now.  All my windows
   even have little "x"s in the close boxes.

Ouch. Now I can't resist. There is no X Windows. What you are using
(assuming I've got this right, I never could stay awake in UNIX
worshipping, sorry, appreciation class) is a protocol called X for
sending window-system-stuff between different machines (or between the
same machine), a window manager (which may be called anything -
resource-hogging bastard is quite good), and a window manager called
something ending in wm (fvwm, twm, olwm, olvwm, etc.). All three of
these together are called X Windows by people who either don't know
any better (45% of people who use it), and by people who don't care
that pedants think they're wrong, because common usage says they're
right (another 45%, including me). However,
pedants still insist that there is no X Windows.

Hope this helps,

Alistair
--
Alistair Young - Arkane Systems Software Development & PC Consultancy
The opinions above are my company's, because I OWN it! [Team OS/2]

Support the rmgrouping of all silly, unused, or duplicated alt.* groups!

2. NIC's not coming up under Redhat 6.2

3. X-Windows (Was - Re: Windows 95, what a joke)

4. wide character support

5. Windows 95, what a joke.

6. Why is it so slow??

7. Zentec Zephyr Terminals