Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Roberto Alsi » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

The subject says it all. Read about it at:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Post by Adam Sulmic » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: The subject says it all. Read about it at:

: http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/poy/poydos.htm

Wow, this time it is before Windows (unlike Pc Week where it got
9th place and NT got 4h), and also unlike Byte they mentioned SMP.

Though the PnP is a bit overstatement. However, it might be case that they
were talking about pcmcia PnP where it is indeed true Plug And PLAY (and
way better than the one under win95).

Also when one read about Windows NT. Then one can yet again see that the
all features which Windows NT lacks for years, are in Linux for years
already: namely APM,support for older platforms,PnP.

Also, the sumary itself was quite well written and the author seemed to
know what he/she is talking about. Maybe it is time to consider
subscribing to InfoWorld, especially that my subscription to Byte is about
to expire.

Adam

Post by David Keel » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>: The subject says it all. Read about it at:

>: http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/poy/poydos.htm

>Wow, this time it is before Windows (unlike Pc Week where it got
>9th place and NT got 4h), and also unlike Byte they mentioned SMP.

>Also when one read about Windows NT. Then one can yet again see that the
>all features which Windows NT lacks for years, are in Linux for years
>already: namely APM,support for older platforms,PnP.

Are you saying PnP in Linux for years?  PnP hardware is not supported in Linux
last I checked.  Meaning Linux has to be told what irq's and DMA's are needed for
certain hardware to work.  Please let me know if this has changed or if I am not
understanding this correctly.

Dave Keeler

Post by Roberto Alsi » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>: The subject says it all. Read about it at:

>>: http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>Wow, this time it is before Windows (unlike Pc Week where it got
>>9th place and NT got 4h), and also unlike Byte they mentioned SMP.

>>Also when one read about Windows NT. Then one can yet again see that the
>>all features which Windows NT lacks for years, are in Linux for years
>>already: namely APM,support for older platforms,PnP.

>Are you saying PnP in Linux for years?  PnP hardware is not supported in Linux
>last I checked.  Meaning Linux has to be told what irq's and DMA's are needed for
>certain hardware to work.  Please let me know if this has changed or if I am not
>understanding this correctly.

Linux doesn't support "real" PnP. It has a limited form of it, since if
there are no conflicts it will normally autodetect your IRQ's etc.
But PnP is being worked on, and is quite usable with the ISAPnP tools
package. It's just not integrated in the kernel, yet.

Quote:

>Dave Keeler

Regards.

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Adam Sulmic » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: >>Also when one read about Windows NT. Then one can yet again see that the
: >>all features which Windows NT lacks for years, are in Linux for years
: >>already: namely APM,support for older platforms,PnP.
: >
: >Are you saying PnP in Linux for years?  PnP hardware is not supported in Linux
: >last I checked.  Meaning Linux has to be told what irq's and DMA's are needed for
: >certain hardware to work.  Please let me know if this has changed or if I am not
: >understanding this correctly.

: Well, actually InfoWorld said PNP is supported by Linux. Shows what Linux's
: clever module scheme and autoprobing does for Linux, eh? What they don't
: know didn't hurt us in this case.

Also David Keeler port missed this part of my post:

"
Though the PnP is a bit overstatement. However, it might be case that they
were talking about pcmcia PnP where it is indeed true Plug And PLAY (and
way better than the one under win95).
"

Where I say it is true plug and play. I put the card in, it automatically assing
available irq,dma,io, startup device, routes, and static routes... all what I have to
do is just plug the card in and play :)

Adam

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Erik Tro » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>Also when one read about Windows NT. Then one can yet again see that the
>>all features which Windows NT lacks for years, are in Linux for years
>>already: namely APM,support for older platforms,PnP.

>Are you saying PnP in Linux for years?  PnP hardware is not supported in Linux
>last I checked.  Meaning Linux has to be told what irq's and DMA's are needed for
>certain hardware to work.  Please let me know if this has changed or if I am not
>understanding this correctly.

Well, actually InfoWorld said PNP is supported by Linux. Shows what Linux's
clever module scheme and autoprobing does for Linux, eh? What they don't
know didn't hurt us in this case.

Erik

|       I told you I'm not very bright -- Sugar in "Some Like It Hot"         |
|      "RPM is the greatest thing since swap-space" - Bryan C. Andregg
|                                                                             |

Post by Harl » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>>: The subject says it all. Read about it at:

>>>: http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/poy/poydos.htm

>>>Wow, this time it is before Windows (unlike Pc Week where it got
>>>9th place and NT got 4h), and also unlike Byte they mentioned SMP.

>>>Also when one read about Windows NT. Then one can yet again see that the
>>>all features which Windows NT lacks for years, are in Linux for years
>>>already: namely APM,support for older platforms,PnP.

>>Are you saying PnP in Linux for years?  PnP hardware is not supported in Linux
>>last I checked.  Meaning Linux has to be told what irq's and DMA's are needed for
>>certain hardware to work.  Please let me know if this has changed or if I am not
>>understanding this correctly.

>Linux doesn't support "real" PnP. It has a limited form of it, since if
>there are no conflicts it will normally autodetect your IRQ's etc.
>But PnP is being worked on, and is quite usable with the ISAPnP tools
>package. It's just not integrated in the kernel, yet.

>>Dave Keeler

>Regards.
>Roberto Alsina

According to http://www.4front-tech.com/oss.html there is PnP
support. I have used this free version (ossfree -  osslinux37c-2027.tar.gz)
and it works on my system with a PnP sound card. The installation script has
an AUTODETECT for many PnP Sound Cards. Not other programs are needed to
initialize your PnP card.

AND

http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/index.html

has FULL support for Creative Labs Sound Blaster PnP AWE 32 Sound Cards
for free. It uses a set of PnP tools from Tom Lee in the UK. I have
not used this driver yet, but expect to do so in the next month or so.
You *may* have to use isapnptools.1-9 with Tom Lee's driver, but I can't
recall if this is absolutely necessary at this moment.

Harley

Post by bill » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> : The subject says it all. Read about it at:

> : http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/poy/poydos.htm

> Wow, this time it is before Windows (unlike Pc Week where it got
> 9th place and NT got 4h), and also unlike Byte they mentioned SMP.

Quite suprising, but suspect, as they quite suddenly had TWO winners in
that competition this year - they just can't seem to shake that Microsoft
albatross, can they?

My biggest disapointment is that, even though they award Apple the "Best
Customer Service" award (deservedly so) the article is mostly about how
they ALMOST DID'NT give it to Apple, instead of WHY they won in the first
place.

It's getting to the point where reading anything computer related is a
study in frustration. I respect infoworld, but damn it give Apple some
slack once in a while.

Interesting article about Amelio, as well.
--
Billy White Jr
Illustration & Design

Post by Bluem » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Are you saying PnP in Linux for years?  PnP hardware is not supported in Linux
>last I checked.  Meaning Linux has to be told what irq's and DMA's are needed for
>certain hardware to work.  Please let me know if this has changed or if I am not
>understanding this correctly.

PnP support is not in the kernel, you have to use the ISAPnP tools. I
hope PnP will never be included in the kernel because in IMHO it
SUCKS: on my computer told me the video card was conflicting with the
HD, on a my friend's PC wasn't able to configure a US Robotics
SupraModem and at school wasn't able to configure correctly a Mozart
sound card and an ethernet card, and all the computer had also Pnp
Bios!. I have also heard of many other people having problem with PnP,
and the only solution for those problem was using manual
configuration.
PnP = Plug&Pray (and after praying, disable it ad do it yourself)

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Timothy Wats » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Never mind that FVWM predated Windows 95...
-Tim Watson
T    i    m    o    t    h    y              W    a    t    s    o    n

  __/| Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Nar Matta » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>PnP support is not in the kernel, you have to use the ISAPnP tools. I

There have been versions of.. Red Hat? that included PnP in the kernel.

Quote:>HD, on a my friend's PC wasn't able to configure a US Robotics
>SupraModem and at school wasn't able to configure correctly a Mozart
>sound card and an ethernet card, and all the computer had also Pnp
>Bios!. I have also heard of many other people having problem with PnP,

[snip]

Actually, PnP works *better* under Linux than Win95, because with
isapnptools, you can tweak it by hand rather nicely. I know.  I'm
using it right now in a card Win95 refuses to configure correctly
(waaaay back, before I rm -rf'd /dos :-)

And it's an important step to get all those Windoze hardware working
under Linux.  We want as many people as possible using Linux, right?

NM. :-)

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Mats Andtbac » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>The subject says it all. Read about it at:
>http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/poy/poydos.htm

yes, do read them describing GNU emacs as a "GUI text editor".
thank goodness i don't read *that* rag.
--
        "...it's all wrong
         but it's alright..."          -- Clapton

Post by Roberto Alsi » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> : The subject says it all. Read about it at:

>> : http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> Wow, this time it is before Windows (unlike Pc Week where it got
>> 9th place and NT got 4h), and also unlike Byte they mentioned SMP.

>Quite suprising, but suspect, as they quite suddenly had TWO winners in
>that competition this year - they just can't seem to shake that Microsoft
>albatross, can they?

Hey! thay didn't had one in 1995, so at least they don't like windows 95 :-)

Quote:>--

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Roberto Alsi » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>The subject says it all. Read about it at:
>>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>yes, do read them describing GNU emacs as a "GUI text editor".
>thank goodness i don't read *that* rag.

What! It isn't one? ;-)

Quote:>--

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Linux is Infoworld's Desktop OS of 1996

Post by Roberto Alsi » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Never mind that FVWM predated Windows 95...

But FVWM95 doesn't. And that's what they talk about.