Deep thoughts...Good Enough Is Enough

Post by terr » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:01:46

> When linux is the best product people will flock to in and never look back.
> They will also be willing to pay for it. Right now it definitely brings
> truth to the statement "you get what you pay for!" It has never been
> suitable for the user that just wants to get things done and have a life.
> Actually I think the people that design linux products enjoy things just the
> way they are and have no desire to make it a system for the masses.

         -- Let me chunk my 2 cents in here --
I just met a medical student last week at a book store, who gladly
shelled out $80 for Mandrake Pro v8.2.  It's his first taste of Linux
and he's pleased as punch.  He installed it himself, (on his laptop),
and has migrated to it with pleasure.  He had it there in the bookstore
and showed me, StarOffice 6.0 and all.  He's quite proud of it and says
he plans to install it on his computer at home and introduce his wife to
it as well.  He's a second year med. student who appears to have very
full schedule, he said he was going on a hiking trip this weekend so
he's definately not just a computer nerd and it's not just a toy to him.

I might also add that Linux is the fastest growing OS on the market.  At
present, statistics say that Linux is doubling it's market share with
each new year.  I don't see how it can grow any faster than that.

I might also add that it's pace of development is somewhat more that
adequate.  I've only been using a desktop Linux system for a year and a
half now and the system I have now is WAY more advanced than the first.
(Can MS users say that?)

We, as Linux users, are definitely riding the wave of the future.  IMHO

--
Registered Linux User #188099
  9:46am  up 11 days,  2:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01

Post by Richard Revi » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:02:52

>> When linux is the best product people will flock to in and never look
>> back. They will also be willing to pay for it. Right now it definitely
>> brings truth to the statement "you get what you pay for!" It has never
>> been suitable for the user that just wants to get things done and have a
>> life. Actually I think the people that design linux products enjoy things
>> just the way they are and have no desire to make it a system for the
>> masses.
> I might also add that it's pace of development is somewhat more that
> adequate.  I've only been using a desktop Linux system for a year and a
> half now and the system I have now is WAY more advanced than the first.
> (Can MS users say that?)

We get the best of both worlds - Linux development isn't about throwing away
the old apps (like the CLI based ones) just to make things look pretty.Sure
there are great new programs being produced that have a point and click
interface, but if you like you can still go back and use PINE for your
mail.

It is the advantage of having best parts of the old and the new methods of
doing things which make Linux the operating system it is, and hopefully
forced upgrading to a system with no CLI (like Win XP) will never be an
issue.

--
 Windows and UNIX are both multi user systems, just with UNIX you get to
 know who the users are.

Post by Yan Seine » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:55:47

> I might also add that it's pace of development is somewhat more that
> adequate.  I've only been using a desktop Linux system for a year and a
> half now and the system I have now is WAY more advanced than the first.
> (Can MS users say that?)

I started with Red Hat 5.2, way back when.  It was usable for a *nix geek
as a server and that was about it.

Then Redhat 6.x came out; it was better, but still was unusable on the
desktop in a real environment.  Server software was better, but still
required quite a bit of *nix geeking.

RedHat 7.0 was the first RH release (sorry, I don't have a track record
with other distros) that was truly usable on the desktop, but still lacked
real apps.

I've been using RedHat 7.2 as my office system almost since the day it
came out.

RedHat 7.3, which I just installed, is a piece of cake.  With OpenOffice
and Evolution installed, it is on par with Windows + MS Office, and is far
more efficient and stable.  I'd say that it could serve as the basis for a
normal office computer.  It still lacks the richness of Windows apps, but
that day is coming.

The *only* thing Linux lacks (for my purposes) is a good CAD system (I
don't mean the tinker toy stuff; what we use costs $7K per seat and is
worth it.). I really wish AutCAD was ported to linux.  Then I could dump
Windows for good.  For now I run Linux + Win4Lin and I'm happy.

--Yan

Post by Jim Richardso » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:35:40

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Deep thoughts...Good Enough Is Enough

Post by Terry Por.. » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:49:07

terry threw some tea leaves on the floor

Quote:>          -- Let me chunk my 2 cents in here --
> I just met a medical student last week at a book store, who gladly
> shelled out $80 for Mandrake Pro v8.2.  It's his first taste of Linux
> and he's pleased as punch.  He installed it himself, (on his laptop),
> and has migrated to it with pleasure.  He had it there in the bookstore
> and showed me, StarOffice 6.0 and all.  He's quite proud of it and says
> he plans to install it on his computer at home and introduce his wife to
> it as well.  He's a second year med. student who appears to have very
> full schedule, he said he was going on a hiking trip this weekend so
> he's definately not just a computer nerd and it's not just a toy to him.

> I might also add that Linux is the fastest growing OS on the market.  At
> present, statistics say that Linux is doubling it's market share with
> each new year.  I don't see how it can grow any faster than that.

> I might also add that it's pace of development is somewhat more that
> adequate.  I've only been using a desktop Linux system for a year and a
> half now and the system I have now is WAY more advanced than the first.
> (Can MS users say that?)

> We, as Linux users, are definitely riding the wave of the future.  IMHO

Cool post Terry, archived under "Linux_positive".

--
              Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Sorcerer kernel 2.4.17

Deep thoughts...Good Enough Is Enough

Post by Bob Hauc » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:28:49

Quote:> The *only* thing Linux lacks (for my purposes) is a good CAD system (I
> don't mean the tinker toy stuff; what we use costs $7K per seat and is
> worth it.). I really wish AutCAD was ported to linux.

The irony is that AutoCAD had a Unix version for *years*.  They dropped
it sometime after R12 (I haven't kept track for a while).

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Post by Yan Seine » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:43:44

>> The *only* thing Linux lacks (for my purposes) is a good CAD system (I
>> don't mean the tinker toy stuff; what we use costs $7K per seat and is
>> worth it.). I really wish AutCAD was ported to linux.

> The irony is that AutoCAD had a Unix version for *years*.  They dropped
> it sometime after R12 (I haven't kept track for a while).

I know... I used it on a Sun SparcStation 20 for years.  Along with
WordPerfect for Unix....

I strongly suspect a sweetheart deal between Microsoft and Autodesk.
Autodesk spent millions developing a platform independent graphics engine.
 The whole idea was that they could simply write a GUI front end for each
platform/OS and have AutoCAD for any platform.

Then, very suddenly, just before the big rollout, the whole project was
dropped, AutoDesk religion, and quit supporting anything but Windows.

Go figure.

--Yan

Post by Yan Seine » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:44:55

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
Linux, from watches to supercomputers, for grandmas and geeks.

1. Good Enough to Sleep With but not Good Enough to Marry?

I've touched on this subject a couple of times before, but I just wanted
to drive the point home.

There are many commercial companies out there that are benefitting off of
the use of Open Source Software with their products, especially Linux in
embedded devices.

Linux powers cell phones, PDA's, robots, routers, communications devices,
Pocket PC's, and a whole slew of other specialized devices.

The thing is, where these companies that use embedded Linux are
benefitting and profiting off of using Linux in their products, they
provide little or no support for users of Linux and their products.

I have personally experienced this with three seperate products I own that
are linux powered.

What is this about?  Are these companies hypocrites?  It's ok to reap the
all the benefits of using Linux to drive our products but they are not
willing to make a committment to the community by providing support for
Linux users with their products?

I know that there is of course the financial aspect of it, but it still
seems to be negligent and hypocritical on the part of these companies.

That's my take on it anyway.

--
rapskat  -  1:25am  up 4 days, 11:09,  4 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.01
drop the hot to mail me

Shit Happens. -- Forrest Gump (?)

2. free entry in gdt_table

3. When good enough is good enough

4. Download helper and web apps

5. Enough is enough

6. Problem: Loosing Network connectivity at a regular interval

7. 3c509: Enough is enough!

8. XF86Setup error !

9. Ok, Linux, enough is enough!

10. Enough is enough

11. ``Not enough memory'' -- 320 Megs not enough???

12. Dig deep enough among pc makers...

13. good viral VPN, deep thoughts