Something I have noticed in the arguments

Something I have noticed in the arguments

Post by Chris Hoda » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:49:56

In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
flame
wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
objectivity,
and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
you insult Linux by
your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
but also
including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
present in
many of them:
Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and
Windows
advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity.
Linux advocates say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while
Windows
advocates say, "Use Windows because you have to use it."
Linux advocates say that you have a decision; Windows advocates say
that Linux
is not even an option.
Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
command
you to become a slave of Windows.

Something I have noticed in the arguments

Post by Dave Leig » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:00:20

Chris Hodapp wrote on Saturday 07 June 2003 21:49 in message

Quote:> In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
> flame
> wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
> objectivity,
> and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
> posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
> you insult Linux by
> your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
> but also
> including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
> present in
> many of them:
> Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and
> Windows
> advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity.
> Linux advocates say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while
> Windows
> advocates say, "Use Windows because you have to use it."
> Linux advocates say that you have a decision; Windows advocates say
> that Linux
> is not even an option.
> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
> command
> you to become a slave of Windows.

Yep, that sums it up nicely.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Post by wjbel » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:02:24

> Chris Hodapp wrote on Saturday 07 June 2003 21:49 in message

>> In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
>> flame
>> wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
>> objectivity,
>> and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
>> posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
>> you insult Linux by
>> your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
>> but also
>> including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
>> present in
>> many of them:
>> Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and
>> Windows
>> advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity.
>> Linux advocates say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while
>> Windows
>> advocates say, "Use Windows because you have to use it."
>> Linux advocates say that you have a decision; Windows advocates say
>> that Linux
>> is not even an option.
>> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
>> command
>> you to become a slave of Windows.

> Yep, that sums it up nicely.

...for a zealot.

Something I have noticed in the arguments

Post by Dave Leig » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:45:47

wjbell wrote on Saturday 07 June 2003 23:02 in message

>> Chris Hodapp wrote on Saturday 07 June 2003 21:49 in message

>>> In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
>>> flame
>>> wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
>>> objectivity,
>>> and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
>>> posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
>>> you insult Linux by
>>> your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
>>> but also
>>> including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
>>> present in
>>> many of them:
>>> Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and
>>> Windows
>>> advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity.
>>> Linux advocates say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while
>>> Windows
>>> advocates say, "Use Windows because you have to use it."
>>> Linux advocates say that you have a decision; Windows advocates say
>>> that Linux
>>> is not even an option.
>>> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
>>> command
>>> you to become a slave of Windows.

>> Yep, that sums it up nicely.

> ...for a zealot.

True, even a Windows zealot like you is just thick enough to miss it the
pattern. So it's been summed up for a zealot: wjbell.

--

Post by wjbel » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:58:06

> wjbell wrote on Saturday 07 June 2003 23:02 in message

>>> Chris Hodapp wrote on Saturday 07 June 2003 21:49 in message

>>> Yep, that sums it up nicely.

>> ...for a zealot.

> True, even a Windows zealot like you is just thick enough to miss it the
> pattern. So it's been summed up for a zealot: wjbell.

*yawn*

Something I have noticed in the arguments

Post by rapska » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:22:54

Error log for Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:49:56 -0700: segfault in module Chris
Hodapp - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
> flame
> wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
> objectivity,
> and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
> posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
> you insult Linux by
> your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
> but also
> including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
> present in
> many of them:
> Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and Windows
> advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity. Linux advocates
> say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while Windows
> advocates say, "Use Windows because you have to use it." Linux advocates
> say that you have a decision; Windows advocates say that Linux
> is not even an option.
> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
> command
> you to become a slave of Windows.

You nailed it!

It's too bad that, even when presented so succintly, the winbigots will
still not see the error of their ways.

--
This Public Service Announcement brought to you by: rapskat

Post by Peter Jense » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:13:18

>>> ...for a zealot.

>> True, even a Windows zealot like you is just thick enough to miss it
>> the pattern. So it's been summed up for a zealot: wjbell.

> *yawn*

From the COLA dictionary:

Yawn
  Usage coined by: wjbell
  Definition: "Damn! I lost another argument!"
  Used anytime wjbell starts to look like an idiot. (see Idiot)

--
PeKaJe

A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that nature
replaces it with.  -- Tennessee Williams

Post by Ian Hilliar » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:25:47

> Error log for Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:49:56 -0700: segfault in module Chris
> Hodapp - dump details are as follows...

>> In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
>> flame
>> wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
>> objectivity,
>> and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
>> posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
>> you insult Linux by
>> your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
>> but also
>> including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
>> present in
>> many of them:
>> Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and Windows
>> advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity. Linux advocates
>> say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while Windows advocates
>> say, "Use Windows because you have to use it." Linux advocates say that
>> you have a decision; Windows advocates say that Linux is not even an
>> option.
>> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
>> command
>> you to become a slave of Windows.

> You nailed it!

> It's too bad that, even when presented so succintly, the winbigots will
> still not see the error of their ways.

I think that Socrates had the WinBigots pegged two thousand five hundred
years ago. To paraphrase:

The foolish man thinks that he knows everything and hence learns nothing.

Translation: The WinBigots have learned how to use WinDO$ and now believe
that they know everything about computers.

The intelligent man realizes that there is much, that he does not know and
seeks out knowledge.

Translation: There is always more to learn. When better things come along,
such as Linux, then the intelligent man seeks to learn and understand
them.

What the WinBigots see is the initial effort require to get a computer
running under Linux. What they don't see is how much more productive they
will be for having made the effort.

Ian

Post by Bo Grime » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:00:20

>>> Yep, that sums it up nicely.

>> ...for a zealot.

> True, even a Windows zealot like you is just thick enough to miss it the
> pattern. So it's been summed up for a zealot: wjbell.

I made some observations similiar to the OP's within a short time of coming
to COLA.  Guess who I was replying to?  Yep...wjbell.  He's thick enough to
miss it everytime.

"In the one case Linux Advocate is saying find out.  In the other Windows
Advocate is saying trust me.  In the one case Linux Advocate is saying "try
this OS."  In the other case Windows Advocate is saying "Don't leave".  In
the one case Linux Advocate has nothing to gain.  In the other case Windows
Advocate probably has a lot to lose."

"Let the readers decide who has a better claim to honesty."

http://tinyurl.com/drcx

--
Bo G
"Mankind does nothing save through initiatives on the part of inventors,

Post by ray » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:56:06

> In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
> flame
> wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
> objectivity,
> and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
> posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
> you insult Linux by
> your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
> but also
> including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
> present in
> many of them:
> Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and
> Windows
> advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity.
> Linux advocates say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while
> Windows
> advocates say, "Use Windows because you have to use it."
> Linux advocates say that you have a decision; Windows advocates say
> that Linux
> is not even an option.
> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
> command
> you to become a slave of Windows.

Not a bad summary - perhaps that is the whold issue: mastery vs slavery.

Post by ray » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:03:07

>>Error log for Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:49:56 -0700: segfault in module Chris
>>Hodapp - dump details are as follows...

>>>In the time I have read the arguments in COLA, including the puerile
>>>flame
>>>wars and invective that completely lacks valid logic, true facts,
>>>objectivity,
>>>and respect (as I commonly see Flatty and Kadaitcha Man and wjbell
>>>posting, and I'm not sure what you guys are trying to advocate because
>>>you insult Linux by
>>>your words but you insult Windows by the way you try to advocate it),
>>>but also
>>>including some of the more valid arguments, I noticed that this was
>>>present in
>>>many of them:
>>>Linux advocates say you should use Linux out of preference, and Windows
>>>advocates say you should use Windows out of necessity. Linux advocates
>>>say, "Use Linux because you want to use it," while Windows advocates
>>>say, "Use Windows because you have to use it." Linux advocates say that
>>>you have a decision; Windows advocates say that Linux is not even an
>>>option.
>>>Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
>>>command
>>>you to become a slave of Windows.

>>You nailed it!

>>It's too bad that, even when presented so succintly, the winbigots will
>>still not see the error of their ways.

> I think that Socrates had the WinBigots pegged two thousand five hundred
> years ago. To paraphrase:

> The foolish man thinks that he knows everything and hence learns nothing.

> Translation: The WinBigots have learned how to use WinDO$ and now believe
> that they know everything about computers.

> The intelligent man realizes that there is much, that he does not know and
> seeks out knowledge.

> Translation: There is always more to learn. When better things come along,
> such as Linux, then the intelligent man seeks to learn and understand
> them.

> What the WinBigots see is the initial effort require to get a computer
> running under Linux. What they don't see is how much more productive they
> will be for having made the effort.

> Ian

Sideline: My educational background is mathematics - B.S. and M.A. One
of the endearing traits of mathematicians is that they are lazy. e.g. An
engineer will tackle a problem by jumping in with both feet and doing
(possibly redoing) it. A mathematician would rather study the problem
first, analyze it and do it once, very efficiently. So a problem that
might take an engineer a week to solve, might very easily be done by a
mathematician in a matter of a few hours - after spending four days
analyzing the problem.

Something I have noticed in the arguments

Post by lcs » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:38:45

Quote:> Sideline: My educational background is mathematics - B.S. and M.A. One
> of the endearing traits of mathematicians is that they are lazy. e.g. An
> engineer will tackle a problem by jumping in with both feet and doing
> (possibly redoing) it. A mathematician would rather study the problem
> first, analyze it and do it once, very efficiently. So a problem that
> might take an engineer a week to solve, might very easily be done by a
> mathematician in a matter of a few hours - after spending four days
> analyzing the problem.

[WARNING!!! Old joke follows...]

A mathematician and an engineer are put in a room with a beautiful girl in
the corner. They are told they can only move halfway toward the girl with
each step. The mathematician studies the problem, realizes he'll never get
there and leaves. The engineer figures he'll get close enough for all
practical purposes.

Sometimes, I think mathematicians spend too much time studying the problem.

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:37:31

> Linux advocates ask you to become a master of Linux; Windows advocates
> command you to become a slave of Windows.

That's it in a nutshell. Very well put.

--
[tv]

"This has been a test of the Micro$oft Outlook Virus System. Had this been an
actual virus, you would have been... well, you would have been fscked."

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:40:14

> ...for a zealot.

Including Windoze zealots.
--
[tv]

"This has been a test of the Micro$oft Outlook Virus System. Had this been an
actual virus, you would have been... well, you would have been fscked."

Something I have noticed in the arguments

Post by Tattoo Vampir » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:41:44

Quote:> exactly...WTF is this * saying?  I read it 10 times and it still
> doesn't make sense.

Is English your first language? Or second?

He's saying that many Windows advocates feel you should enjoy the
sensation of having a monopoly OS shoved up your ass.
--
[tv]

"This has been a test of the Micro$oft Outlook Virus System. Had this been an
actual virus, you would have been... well, you would have been fscked."

1. Just noticed something....

It's almost been a full year since I've seen a Blue Screen, adware,
nagware, virus warning, or any other such nonsense on this box.

It's amazing how much LGX changes your computing experience.

--
rapskat -  10:38pm  up 28 days, 23:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.28, 0.15
CPU states:  0.1% user,  0.1% system,  0.1% nice,  0.0% idle

"I've seen, I SAY, I've seen better heads on a mug of beer"
                -- Senator Claghorn

2. Serial Port Config

3. I noticed something strange here..

4. Sony CDROM HELP

5. I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

6. PPP - Interactive chat scripts for Sun using Securid

7. "md_mirror: [ID 583962 kern.notice] NOTICE: Could not clean resync regions"

8. Advocacy and Programmers...

9. qualitylinks, need something, find something

10. Something lost, something gained

11. qualitylinks, need something, find something