Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by Florian S » Thu, 30 May 2002 22:44:47

This is Linus e-mail:

Quote:>More VM/FS interaction updates from Andrew Morton. Block layer (and
>IDE) updates.  USB and driverfs stuff (the driverfs thing is starting to
>slowly add flesh on its original promise).

>In short, all over the map.

>                Linus

Wow, they really release those quite often now... As usual, don't use it on
you production box, as it is a *development* kernel.
(This news is about 10 minutes old.)

Happy hacking,

        Florian
--
Add the next two proper digits to the e-mail to mail me.

Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Fri, 31 May 2002 17:47:46

Datagram from Florian S. incoming on netlink socket

Quote:> This is Linus e-mail:

>>More VM/FS interaction updates from Andrew Morton. Block layer (and
>>IDE) updates.  USB and driverfs stuff (the driverfs thing is starting to
>>slowly add flesh on its original promise).

>>In short, all over the map.

>>                Linus

> Wow, they really release those quite often now...

And they are planning to begin releasing *EVERY* day, as soon as they
got the release process more automatized...

-Ilari
--
Linux LK_Perkele_IV9 2.4.18 #8 SMP Thu Mar 14 19:42:25 EET 2002 i686 unknown
  6:46pm  up 10 days, 19:40,  5 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.11, 0.02

Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by GeneralP » Fri, 31 May 2002 19:49:17

> >Datagram from Florian S. incoming on netlink socket

> >> This is Linus e-mail:

> >> Wow, they really release those quite often now...

> >And they are planning to begin releasing *EVERY* day, as soon as they
> >got the release process more automatized...

> >-Ilari

> Wow!!

> I can hardly contain my e*ment!

Flatty: ever wonder how the same people can get e*d over a new
kernel (which would require them to reboot to install it) and at the
same time claim long uptimes?

Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by Florian S » Fri, 31 May 2002 22:17:10

>> >Datagram from Florian S. incoming on netlink socket

>> >And they are planning to begin releasing *EVERY* day, as soon as they
>> >got the release process more automatized...

>> >-Ilari

>> Wow!!

>> I can hardly contain my e*ment!

> Flatty: ever wonder how the same people can get e*d over a new
> kernel (which would require them to reboot to install it) and at the
> same time claim long uptimes?

The *same* people?
I need a system that doesn't _crash_ randomly (e.g. no windows).
I reboot sometimes every 10 minutes when I'm hacking on something that
requires reboots. (Or use a vm, but that doesn't allways does the trick)
Usually I reboot day by day due to installing development kernels.

I'm a devloper; I reboot.

However, when I set up a computer for someone to use, I set it up so that
it runs at least until I come back fron uni (usually 4 months). Then I
install a new stable kernel or leave it alone.
--
Add the next two proper digits to the e-mail to mail me.

Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by Johan Lindquis » Fri, 31 May 2002 21:29:09

Thu, 30 May 2002 at 19:49 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

Quote:> Flatty: ever wonder how the same people can get e*d over a new
> kernel (which would require them to reboot to install it) and at the
> same time claim long uptimes?

It's a sort of curiosity thing coupled with the desire to follow
technical progress. Would you believe there's even people today who
find it fun to test out new stuff on one box, and /at the same time/
have a reliable server or workstation sitting around to do real work
on?! It's absolutely amazing, I tell you.

hth,

     /Johan

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  9:24pm  up  2:31,  3 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.28, 0.24

Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by Roy Cull » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 01:34:48

>> >Datagram from Florian S. incoming on netlink socket

>> >And they are planning to begin releasing *EVERY* day, as soon as they
>> >got the release process more automatized...

>> >-Ilari

>> Wow!!

>> I can hardly contain my e*ment!

> Flatty: ever wonder how the same people can get e*d over a new
> kernel (which would require them to reboot to install it) and at the
> same time claim long uptimes?

Name them?

Linux 2.5.19 allready!!!

Post by Bone » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:31:35

[snip]

Quote:> Flatty: ever wonder how the same people can get e*d over a new
> kernel (which would require them to reboot to install it) and at the
> same time claim long uptimes?

In case you're wondering: Many of us own more than one machine. I'm sure
that's the case with you too. All the latest kernel updates go on my laptop,
the file server and the firewall box stay with reliable "old" 2.2 series
kernels, and my desktop is somewhere inbetween.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

--
Bones
(fakemccoy at altavista dot com)