Linux on dual Pentium

Post by Jeff Shanno » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I've been thinking about buying one of those Tyan Tomcat III dual Pentium
motherboards for my Linux machine.  I guess the only reason I want to do it
is because I can.  Anyway, will I see a benefit from having dual CPU's when
I do simple tasks such as compiling a few thousand lines of C.

Is anyone running on the motherboard I mentioned?  I'm really curious on
what kind of performance I should expect and if I'll encounter any problems
along the way with Linux running in a multiprocessor environment.

Jeff Shannon

Linux on dual Pentium

Post by Alan Co » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I've been thinking about buying one of those Tyan Tomcat III dual Pentium
> motherboards for my Linux machine.  I guess the only reason I want to do it
> is because I can.  Anyway, will I see a benefit from having dual CPU's when
> I do simple tasks such as compiling a few thousand lines of C.

> Is anyone running on the motherboard I mentioned?  I'm really curious on
> what kind of performance I should expect and if I'll encounter any problems
> along the way with Linux running in a multiprocessor environment.

A single PPro or PentiumII will outperform all the dual pentium
boards I've ever seen - even in perfectly ideal cpu intensive
processing jobs that split neatly. Single PPro 150's also seem to
be quite cheap now

Alan

--
------------------------------------------------------.
CymruNet: 64K-2Mbit lines, 128K from UKP4,500 a year /

Linux on dual Pentium

Post by Kenneth R. Kinde » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Well, double chipped systems aren't used much for everyday computer.
Some programs that are made to use them in suedo root mode will run
better, but that's about it.

If I were you, I'd look at the new AMD K chip series, or Cyrix's chips.
They're faster than Intel's anyway. On the other hand, if you don't need
an x86, you could go with a Dec machine, and run Linux on it! Decs,
especailly Alphas will WAY outperform much else in the desktop area.

> I've been thinking about buying one of those Tyan Tomcat III dual Pentium
> motherboards for my Linux machine.  I guess the only reason I want to do it
> is because I can.  Anyway, will I see a benefit from having dual CPU's when
> I do simple tasks such as compiling a few thousand lines of C.

> Is anyone running on the motherboard I mentioned?  I'm really curious on
> what kind of performance I should expect and if I'll encounter any problems
> along the way with Linux running in a multiprocessor environment.

> Jeff Shannon

Linux on dual Pentium

Post by Peter Suetterl » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Well, double chipped systems aren't used much for everyday computer.

But shure for heavy computing.

Quote:> Some programs that are made to use them in suedo root mode will run
> better, but that's about it.

As soon as more than two jobs are running, there's a huge benefit.
Imagine playing quake without performance loss while compiling wine
or something alike.

Quote:> If I were you, I'd look at the new AMD K chip series, or Cyrix's chips.
> They're faster than Intel's anyway.

Floating performance? Shure?

Quote:> On the other hand, if you don't need
> an x86, you could go with a Dec machine, and run Linux on it! Decs,
> especailly Alphas will WAY outperform much else in the desktop area.

And have their price.
What does a dual board with two P133 cost today? A nothing, merely.
And that is a computer that in many respects can outperform a Dual
Sparc20.

>> I've been thinking about buying one of those Tyan Tomcat III dual
>> Pentium motherboards for my Linux machine.  I guess the only reason I
>> want to do it is because I can.  Anyway, will I see a benefit from
>> having dual CPU's when I do simple tasks such as compiling a few
>> thousand lines of C.

You will have to use the -j switch for make, so that more than one gcc
runs will be started at a time.  For a 2-processor machine, that
(nearly, maybe 1.9) doubles the speed.
For one single application - no, sorry. No improvement.

Quote:>> Is anyone running on the motherboard I mentioned?  I'm really curious
>> on what kind of performance I should expect and if I'll encounter any
>> problems along the way with Linux running in a multiprocessor
>> environment.

No, we are using the Gigabyte Board, but I wouldn't expect too many
problems, if at all.

  Peter

Peter "Pit" Suetterlin                      http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~pit
Universitaets-Sternwarte Goettingen

 -- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * --
Come and see the stars!             http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de/~ps/SFB
Sternfreunde Breisgau e.V.          Tel.: +49 7641 3492

Linux on dual Pentium

Post by Colin Mai » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've been thinking about buying one of those Tyan Tomcat III dual Pentium
>motherboards for my Linux machine.  I guess the only reason I want to do it
>is because I can.  Anyway, will I see a benefit from having dual CPU's when
>I do simple tasks such as compiling a few thousand lines of C.

>Is anyone running on the motherboard I mentioned?  I'm really curious on
>what kind of performance I should expect and if I'll encounter any problems
>along the way with Linux running in a multiprocessor environment.

>Jeff Shannon

Remember that a multi-processor system (of this nature) can not run a
single process any faster - it can only run on one of those CPUs at a
time. It WILL mean that you can do other things on the system at the
same time will only minimal degredation in performance.

I have had some experience of twin pentium CPU systems running SCO
(hmm...) & about 20 users, and I only gained an estimated 20-40%
throughput. Although I'm not a great fan of SCO (I switched from SCO
curses to ncurses & got about 50% less line traffic!!!) I believe that
the real problem is that the pentium was never really designed to be
used in a multi-processor system. I gather the P-pro is a LOT better -
check it out.

Colin Main

(I can't think of anything funny to put here - C.Main, 1997)

Linux on dual Pentium

Post by Robert E. Bowle » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Do it.
Just remember to uncomment the 'SMP = 1' line.

> I've been thinking about buying one of those Tyan Tomcat III dual Pentium
> motherboards for my Linux machine.  I guess the only reason I want to do it
> is because I can.  Anyway, will I see a benefit from having dual CPU's when
> I do simple tasks such as compiling a few thousand lines of C.

Also set MAKEFLAGS to '-j2' or '-j4' or such.

Quote:> Is anyone running on the motherboard I mentioned?  I'm really curious on
> what kind of performance I should expect and if I'll encounter any problems
> along the way with Linux running in a multiprocessor environment.

> Jeff Shannon

I can't guarantee you won't encounter any problems,
but I haven't had even one. No system hangs, no data loss, etc.
Check the bug reports anyhow...

1. FS:Cheap Pentium and Dual Pentium Machines for Linux

We have a large number of DEC P90 and Dual P90 machines They make great Linux
boxes and back to school machines. They also were originally made to run
Nextstep/Openstep/Windows NT(Nextstep/Openstep were single processor only).
Specs are below(For further information we have a complete manual online under
the Specs & Info section):

DEC Celebris XL P90
90mhz Pentium mid tower with dual capability(Socket 5),
32mb memory,
onboard 53C810 SCSI 2 port,
Cogent e+  ethernet LAN combo,
Sound blaster Vibra 16 sound card,
2mb Diamond Viper 64 video card,
3.5" floppy,
Keyboard and Mouse

Price $75.00 each **Quantity Pricing Available**

DEC Celebris XL P90
DUAL 90mhz Pentium chips(Socket 5) mid tower,
32mb memory,
onboard 53C810 SCSI 2 port,
Cogent e+  ethernet LAN combo,
Sound blaster Vibra 16 sound card,
2mb video card,
3.5" floppy,
Keyboard and Mouse

Price $90.00 **Quantity Pricing Available**

We have 1000s of Digital monitors forsale(Cables included). These are some of
the finest monitors we have ever had. Part numbers are as follows(We also have
specs on some of these under the Specs & Info section of our website):

VRT-17HA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 100+ in stock
PCXBV-KA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 100+ in stock
PCXBV-ZA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 300+ in stock
PCXBV-FZ(white) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 500+ in stock
PCXBV-JZ(white) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 100+ in stock
VRC-16HA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $ 99.00 each 100+ in stock

We accept VISA, MC and AMEX

DeepSpace Technologies, LLC
7311 Grove Rd.
Suite A-1
Frederick, MD 21701

301-663-3033
301-620-9634(fax)

"http://www.deepspacetech.com/"

2. DEL button with X11 3.3.3

3. Dual Pentium II vs Pentium III

4. web server trashing large pages

5. Quad Pentium Pro or Dual Pentium-II ?

6. Solaris 2.5.1 read system call 2-3 times slower than in 1.1.2 (BUG ID 1181070, 1196757)

7. Pentium pro vs dual Pentium ?

8. Which http server for business??

9. Dual 120 Pentium vs. Single 166 Pentium

10. Pentium Pro Vs. Dual Pentium

11. RS6000/J40 with Dual Procs vs Dual Pentium Pro's

12. Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...