Software Research Funding:

Post by Asclepi » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:04:53

Software Research Funding:

Please inform you readers that there is $200,000,000 in available
funds for Computer Geeks to help solve some of the global health
problems.

This is one competition that every person with a good idea should
become involved with - and besides you can receive some of the Bill
Gates money :-)

http://www.terapeta.net/internet-service/district-of-columbia/news.html
or by going directly to http://www.grandchallengesgh.org/

The scientific board presently consist of:
Harold Varmus, Chair of Board and Executive Committee
President and Chief Executive Officer
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
United States of America

Rick Klausner, member, Executive Committee
Executive Director
Global Health Program
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
United States of America

Elias Zerhouni, member, Executive Committee
Director
National Institutes of Health
United States of America

Roy Anderson
Head, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology
Imperial College of the University of London
England

Mary Jane Cardosa
Professor of Virology
Institute of Health and Community Medicine
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Malaysia

Christine Debouck
GlaxoSmithKline
United States of America

Anthony Fauci
Director
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
United States of America

William Foege
Senior Fellow
Global Health Program
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
United States of America

Julio Frenk
Minister of Health
Mexico

Nirmal Ganguly
Director General
Indian Council for Medical Research
India

Julie Gerberding
Director
Centers for Disease Control
United States of America

Fotis Kafatos
Director General
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Germany

Gerald Keusch
Director
Fogarty International Center
National Institutes of Health
United States of America

Francis Nkrumah
Former Director
Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research
University of Ghana
Ghana

Gustav Nossal
Department of Pathology
University of Melbourne
Australia

Odile Puijalon
Institut Pasteur
France

Yiming Shao
Chief Scientist
National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention
Director, Division of Research on Virology and Immunology
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
China

Peter A. Singer
Sun Life Financial Chair in Bioethics and Director,
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics
Professor of Medicine
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Distinguished Investigator
Director, PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centre for Bioethics
Program Leader, Canadian Program on Genomics and Global Health
Canada

Florence Wambugu
President
A Harvest Biotech Foundation Int'l (AHBFI)
Kenya

Yongyuth Yuthavong
President
Thai Academy of Science and Technology
Senior Researcher, National Centre for Genetic Engineering and
Biotechnology
Thailand Science Park
National Science and Technology Development Agency
Thailand

Elke Jordan, executive secretary
Grand Challenges Manager
Foundation for the National Institutes of Health
United States of America

Good Luck : - )
Hans Schnauber, Physionom Researcher
http://www.terapeta.net/the-butterfly-guy.html

Hoping that software research expands and funding continues

1. Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

In a recent discussion about developers running out of money (arch,
perl) and what can we do for helping them I can up with an idea. I'd
like to share it with anyone in the list even though it'll probably be
disregarded or flamed. The Kernel may well be nicely funded, because of
companies supported. But that's not always the case, and the schema just
fails in a lot of key areas of OSS.

Why post it here then? Because for it to work it must be supported by
at least some of the grand developements of OSS.

Here's the actual idea, which actually is a slashdot repost

Re:Isn't dual-licensing with the GPL perfect for t (Score:2)

(User #525414 Info | http://www.arrancar.com/)

Yes, but that underfunds the projects. You can see this clearly when
Microsoft can sell lots of buggy software and of the best OSS developers
can't earn a decent salary.

I'd love to see a new license, that could be called the fGPL. That would
be the "Funded GPL". To be able to use fGPLd programs you'll HAVE to
contribute some small amount of money to the fGPL foundation. You'll not
be required to pay for any individual fGPL software, just a plain simple
yearly $10 or $20 charge. And you will be able to distribute exactly
where that money goes, among all the different projects. If you can't
pay $20 a year it will be no problem, just a bit penalty: all fGPL
software would be free as in beer once the year passes (old releases).

The money paid to the developers would only cover salaries and some
expenses that are needing to continue developement. So if any proyect
gets over-funded, you'll be noticed that you must reasign some of your
credits.

It'd always be free as in freedom. We only need to bring some beer for
that to happen. It'll also kill the anti OSS argument that the system is
for comunists or anti-american. I know that is FUD, but do your
representatives know that? It will also kill most of the other FUD
targeted at OSS and will also bust developement to unknown levels.

What do we need for this to happen?

To have the Linux Kernel, the Red Hat distro, mplayer, X and gcc (for
example, could be others as well) adopting the fGPL for the next
releases. After that, we'll see most every GPLd program adopting the
fGPL. After that, you'll start to see how much sense it made to pay $20
a year. And even the ones that can't pay (if any) will be able to use
the software (though 1 year old, but their hardware si severla years old
for sure).

This is my opinion. I'd gladly pay the $20, as long as EVERYONE ELSE
pays their $20. That's why we don't see many donations now: because you
have this felling everyone else is just waiting for a fool like you to
contribute to project X in order to save it.

------------- end -------------

Thanks for everything and to everyone here!

Federico

pd: Please CC if you need my reply as I am not on the list

-

2. Dell setup: video and EPP problems

3. Germany-funded Linux software arriving

4. Mouse problem PS/2 Auxilary device

5. Opinions please: "Community funding" of open source software

6. Who did the time list insert code?

7. FSU: Announcing Free Software Task List; new funding and organization for FS

8. HELP: mtools and dosemu seem to bite..

9. Publicly funded software development

10. Publically funded software development

11. FSU - Announcing Free Software Task List; Allows new funding and organization for FS

12. OS Research == NT Research ?

13. UNIPEN software: research in on-line handwriting recognition