Linux making inroads on the desktop...

Post by paul cook » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:49:34

The snowball has started to roll... :)

<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/4587909.htm>

|Government agencies in Europe, China, India and South America have
|started to encourage Linux over proprietary software because it
|provides cost savings, freedom from reliance on a single software
|vendor, and flexibility.
|
|Linux is part of the open-source movement, which offers the global
|community of programmers the ability to access and modify source code.
|
|``Outside North America is where you have both Microsoft environments
|being threatened. Governments are evaluating alternatives for both the
|operating system and applications,'' said Stacey Quandt, an analyst who
|tracks open source and Linux for Giga Information Group.
|
|Overseas, systems pre-installed with Linux are selling. Hewlett-Packard
|offers PCs bundled with Turbolinux at stores in China. It also sells
|PCs pre-installed with Linux in stores in German-speaking parts of
|Europe.

<snip good stuff>

|Red Hat, the largest Linux provider, is attempting to reach more
|mainstream computer users with its latest version of Linux, Red Hat
|8.0.
|
|``We will introduce Linux to a user population that we have historically
|been unable to reach,'' including home and school users, Chief
|Executive Matthew Szulik told investors in September.
|
|SuSE, a 10-year-old German company with U.S. headquarters in Oakland,
|will begin to offer products aimed at consumers next year, said Holger
|Dyroff, SuSE's general manager for the Americas.
|
|The company began selling its product pre-installed on laptops in
|Germany earlier this year and hopes to convince PC manufacturers here
|to do the same. In a partnership with CodeWeavers, which makes products
|to bridge the gap between Windows and Linux, SuSE will offer a desktop
|operating system that runs Windows applications.

now I know the laptops are available pre-installed... I can go search one
out... :)

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

1. Why Linux Made Inroads At Financial Institutions

Why Linux XF instead of MS-Windows? Because you can get twice the
computing power for 1/4 the cost, that's why. I wonder who these financial
institutions plan on suing after they put in Linux XF? Seems to me that
they probably figured such a pansy-assed attitude only works for MS
marketeers (or is that mouseketeers?) How about it Erik, who are these
people looking to point fingers at by using Linux XF?

http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=02040300306...

Quote:
"Now that it has tested a Linux system in-house, Lehman plans to replace
about half of the lost servers with ones that use this technology." ...

"While Lehman has not yet signed a contract to install Linux , its testing
showed that the system runs about twice as fast as its existing server
system at roughly one-quarter of the cost, Ms. O'Connor said. "So where we
needed 24, now we need 12 -- that's compelling.""

2. Problem installing enlightenment 0.16.3

3. Linux making inroads in India

4. Problem: "last bit set to zero" from pppd

5. Linux making inroads

6. Download over a telnet session

7. Inroads on the Desktop (was Re: New prices for UnixWare)

8. executing a startup script under a different user

9. KDE3 makes Linux more than ready for the desktop....

10. NT makes Linux on the Desktop possible

11. What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

12. Logitech Cordless Desktop - Express, making it work?

13. Making Friends with the GNOME Desktop