Is there a commercial Linux games market?

Is there a commercial Linux games market?

Post by hend.. » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi All!  This is my first time in linux.advocacy.  I spend most of
my time in os2.*, which, by the way, reads almost identical in its
subject headers.

If you have a look at http://www.solarsystems.com/products/frontier
you will find the home page for an OS/2 game called Stellar Frontier,
soon to enter Beta testing.  Basically, Stellar Frontier is netrek
with fantastic graphics, sound and music.

We are possibly interested in porting the game to linux.  The server
is already portable and running, but the client due to its multimedia
nature, will require some work.  The reason I am posting here is to
assess whether or not there would be enough interest in a linux version
of Stellar Frontier to warrant the extra effort to port the client.

Specifically, my question is whether or not linux users would be interested
in such a game and whether they purchase linux native games and/or register
their shareware.  So as not to generate extra noise in this group,
visit the surveys section of our webpage http://www.solarsystems.com/feedback
Vote for linux as your favorite OS and possibly leave a comment that you
would purchase native linux games.

  _____
 /     \   Douglas Lee Hendrix

^^ (o)(o)  Solar Systems
C   ,---_)
/_____/ \

:   _____
:  /     \   Douglas Lee Hendrix

: ^^ (o)(o)  Solar Systems
: C   ,---_)
:  | |,___|  Coming Soon . . .
:  |  \__/   The Ultimate Entertainment for the Connected Consumer
:  /_____\   http://www.solarsystems.com/products/frontier
: /_____/ \

Hi,

I would welcome a commercial port of just about anything for Linux,
thats just what Linux needs more commercial software and support.

             "If you build it they will come"

my $0.02
thanks, Stover

+ Stover L. Babcock III | Pit-Stop Internet, Ltd. +

1. Linux in the game console market

2. GUS, patches, and OSS/Free

3. GAMES: growing Linux market share

4. mmap memory allocated with vmalloc

5. COMMERCIAL: PV-WAVE time-limited marketing test version on Linux

6. atom (hiprof) woes

7. Commercial games for Linux

8. Downloading POP3 mail from ISP to IMAP server on a Linux box

9. Commercial Linux games

10. IPO Stock market as mirror of Linux marketing

11. Linux get 27% on intel server market, Windows loses market share !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. COMMERCIAL: I am Linux campaign slogan

13. Linux gets 32% on intel server market, Windows loses market share !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!