Knoppix is *really* *really* cool!

Post by Tim Smit » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:01:38

I've been using Knoppix at work.  It is amazingly useful.  They've crammed a
*lot* of stuff on that CD, including almost all the useful development
stuff, for both console apps *and* X apps.

We're doing some client/server stuff, and I need to load test the server
code.  With Knoppix, I can go up to any spare machine, boot Knoppix, use scp
to copy my client test code over, and compile it.  While at the Knoppix
machine, I become root and type "/etc/init.d/ssh start" to start the ssh
daemon.

Then, back at my office, where I'm running the development version of the
server, I ssh into the Knoppix box, and can start the test client, and tell
it to make a couple thousand connections to my server.  Actually, I run
"screen" first, then run the client, so that if I want to run a few more
copies of the client, I can conveniently do it in one window.

It's even fast.  Knoppix on a 400 MHz PII with 384 meg of RAM, running off
the CD, compiled my test client faster than OS X on a 350 MHz G3 with ~600
meg of RAM, running off a hard disk.

The best part--I get a full Linux environment on all my test client
machines, and when I'm done, all I have to do is pull out the CD and reboot,
and they are back to Windows, with no disturbance of the underlying setup.
So, I can grab pretty much any machine that someone is not using at the
moment and turn it into a test machine for my client/server testing.

The only thing I can think off offhand that would be even cooler would be
something like Knoppix, but that boots over the network from a file server,
instead of from CD, and runs over the network, so that I wouldn't have to
burn a bunch of CDs. :-)

--
Evidence Eliminator is worthless: "www.evidence-eliminator-sucks.com"
--Tim Smith

Knoppix is *really* *really* cool!

Post by Harry Phillip » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:56:57

Quote:> The only thing I can think off offhand that would be even cooler would be
> something like Knoppix, but that boots over the network from a file server,
> instead of from CD, and runs over the network, so that I wouldn't have to
> burn a bunch of CDs. :-)

www.ltsp.org

All it requires is a boot floppy.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips.

--- Failure is not an option,
     it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Post by kd5ob » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:00:22

> I've been using Knoppix at work.  It is amazingly useful.  They've crammed a
> *lot* of stuff on that CD, including almost all the useful development
> stuff, for both console apps *and* X apps.

> We're doing some client/server stuff, and I need to load test the server
> code.  With Knoppix, I can go up to any spare machine, boot Knoppix, use scp
> to copy my client test code over, and compile it.  While at the Knoppix
> machine, I become root and type "/etc/init.d/ssh start" to start the ssh
> daemon.

> Then, back at my office, where I'm running the development version of the
> server, I ssh into the Knoppix box, and can start the test client, and tell
> it to make a couple thousand connections to my server.  Actually, I run
> "screen" first, then run the client, so that if I want to run a few more
> copies of the client, I can conveniently do it in one window.

> It's even fast.  Knoppix on a 400 MHz PII with 384 meg of RAM, running off
> the CD, compiled my test client faster than OS X on a 350 MHz G3 with ~600
> meg of RAM, running off a hard disk.

> The best part--I get a full Linux environment on all my test client
> machines, and when I'm done, all I have to do is pull out the CD and reboot,
> and they are back to Windows, with no disturbance of the underlying setup.
> So, I can grab pretty much any machine that someone is not using at the
> moment and turn it into a test machine for my client/server testing.

> The only thing I can think off offhand that would be even cooler would be
> something like Knoppix, but that boots over the network from a file server,
> instead of from CD, and runs over the network, so that I wouldn't have to
> burn a bunch of CDs. :-)

Trinux

http://trinux.sourceforge.net/

--
Even before 9-11 happened, we had this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/13/0249250&mode=thread&tid=172

Charlie

Post by Paul Cook » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:02:06

> The only thing I can think off offhand that would be even cooler would be
> something like Knoppix, but that boots over the network from a file
> server,
> instead of from CD, and runs over the network, so that I wouldn't have to
> burn a bunch of CDs. :-)

<http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqPXE>

that's booting over the net to a knoppix cd in another computer, but I'm
sure it can be adapted to booting remotely from a hard disk install of
Knoppix pretty easily... :)

Get it while it's hot... :)
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

-
-The only thing I can think off offhand that would be even cooler would be
-something like Knoppix, but that boots over the network from a file server,
-instead of from CD, and runs over the network, so that I wouldn't have to
-burn a bunch of CDs. :-)

You can:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqPXE

BAJ

Post by Eric Sarjean » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 03:33:16

> Trinux

> http://trinux.sourceforge.net/

That might be even neater than Knoppix. What a great idea, it looks like it
can "boot" via HTTP/FTP, I'll definitely be checking this one out.

1. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

Well, this is puzzling--

I've been scratching my head over this for months, reading docs, looking
for non-existent IRQ conflicts because I *thought* I had a problem with
my PCMCIA and/or PPP setup. Just realized that the problem is specific
to *one server*--which happens to be the one I access the most.

* the problem server is in my local domain. It's the one where I have a
shell account (which I often use--or try to use--to ftp stuff back and
forth between home & office), and it's also the primary DNS and the mail
server for the domain.

* the server is an AIX machine which seems up to its job (it's only gone
down once in my 2 years here). When I access it from my office via an
ethernet connection, everything works fine. I can download a multi-meg
file in seconds.

* when I access the net through my PPP connection from home (using a
28.8k PCMCIA modem, dynamic IP addressing), I get reasonable speeds for
http & ftp servers outside the local domain . . . well, slow, but
consistent with what I get in the office.

* when I access this one local server, FTP is mind-numbingly slow (<100
bytes/second!) and I often can't complete a large transfer. Similarly,
if I try to get my mail, it's very slow and tends to stall if there are
a lot of messages.

Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks for any info.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan

2. Linux Net [Fido Style]

3. driver: DMA really really slow

4. apache Memory Usage

5. Network really really DOWN !!!

6. Recommendation: TightVNC

7. Really, really newbie

8. Programming The Mouse In Unix

9. HELP --- really, really strange network problem!!

10. @Home RCA Cable Modem, RH 7.1, and a really really _weird_ problem

11. really, really simple question

12. Really, really stupid ifconfig question :-)

13. Why Windoze 2000 REALLY, REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!