US Threatens Iraqi Scientists

Post by linuxfu » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:15:44

> [...]

> documents and researches in their possession.
> The appeal message also said that looting and robberies were being
> taken place under the watchful eye of the occupation soldiers.
> The occupation soldiers, the e-mail added, are transporting mobs to
> the scientific institutions, such as Mosul University and different
> educational institutions, to destroy scientific research centers and
> confiscate all papers and documents to nip in the bud any Iraqi
> scientific renaissance.
> The frantic scientists also underlined that some of them were placed
> under house arrest and deprived of going to their laboratories and
> universities.
> Some of them were also approached by agents from the U.S. Central
> Intelligence Agency (CIA) to entice them away to foreign scientific
> centers, the message cautioned.
> The e-mail also noted that occupation forces had drawn up lists of the
> names, addresses and researches of the Iraqi scientists to assist them
> in their harassment tasks in light of the chaos and anarchy that sit
> in after the toppling of the Iraqi regime on April, 9.
> Reports Claim Scientists Fled To Syria
> As part of the "concerted campaign" campaign against Syria, The
> Washington Times newspaper claimed Saturday, April 12, that some of
> Iraq's top scientists have already fled their country and are in
> Syria, from where they may seek political safety in France.
> Quoting U.S. administration officials, the American paper said there
> are intelligence reports that Iraqi scientists are seeking safety in
> France.
> According to the daily, U.S. officials declined to put a number on how
> many Iraqi weapons scientists have entered Syria, but estimated it is
> fewer than 10 at this point.
> Among those claimed to have made it to Syria are Huda Salih Mahdi
> Ammash and Rihab Taha, both top scientists in Iraq's alleged
> biological-weapons program, said The Washington Times.
> The two women are notable not only for their scientific expertise, but
> also because they attained senior positions among the male-dominated
> Ba'ath Party, the paper said.
> Mrs. Taha, a British-trained microbiologist, is married to Iraq's oil
> minister Amir Rashid Mohammed Ubaydi, on the American most-wanted list
> of 55.
> The Times claims she ran Iraq's biological-warfare program at a
> research lab in the town of Hakam beginning in the mid-1980s.
> Mrs. Taha was not listed, although she is wanted for questioning.
> Mrs. Ammash has been photographed at Saddam's Cabinet meetings, and at
> a meeting with his son, Qusay, according the U.S. daily.
> On Friday, April 11, Mrs. Ammash's picture and name were listed by the
> U.S. Central Command as one of 55 ?most-wanted? Iraqis.
> Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld has warned Syria several times
> publicly to stop helping the Iraqi regime, asserting that some Iraqi

Hope it's not true...

                      http://www.usenet.com

Post by gduk » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:55:39

> [...]

>> also because they attained senior positions among the male-dominated
>> Ba'ath Party, the paper said.

>> Mrs. Taha, a British-trained microbiologist, is married to Iraq's oil
>> minister Amir Rashid Mohammed Ubaydi, on the American most-wanted list
>> of 55.
>> The Times claims she ran Iraq's biological-warfare program at a
>> research lab in the town of Hakam beginning in the mid-1980s.

>> Mrs. Taha was not listed, although she is wanted for questioning.

>> Mrs. Ammash has been photographed at Saddam's Cabinet meetings, and at
>> a meeting with his son, Qusay, according the U.S. daily.

>> On Friday, April 11, Mrs. Ammash's picture and name were listed by the
>> U.S. Central Command as one of 55 ?most-wanted? Iraqis.

>> Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld has warned Syria several times
>> publicly to stop helping the Iraqi regime, asserting that some Iraqi

First of all, if they have * on their hands let them go down in flames
with the rest of them.  The US made the mistake (yes, I say mistake) of
letting Nazi war criminals off the hook because they had scientific
abilities that could aid the US military.  I hope this is not repeated.
Scientists are no more entitled to commit or contribute to war crimes then
anyone else..."just following orders" doesn't fly here either.  And if
they were "in fear for their lives because of that bad bad man" then they
could have tried their little "e-mail trick" back then.

Smells like fish to me, though.  Smells like a hoax...