Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Bori » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development contractors in
area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings. Similar search for
NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

Boris

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Matt Templeto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Makes sense to me, NT has a vastly larger installed base. Considering I
did similarabout a year ago and found NO postings US nation wide, I
would say this shows very rapid growth of Linux.

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development contractors in
> area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings. Similar search for
> NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

Hmmm... I wonder what it says about FreeBSD developers?  I'm just
curious because FreeBSD isn't as popular, and only runs on DEC
Alpha and PC's at the moment.  Also check out listings for NetBSD
and OpenBSD.  (I'm going to try it later).

--
  Donn

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Bori » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Go to www.dice.com .
Select Advanced Search.
Select Contract, SWE, California, type 408 and 650 for area codes, type word "linux" in
edit box, click "Search".
16 listings are returned.

Boris

> > I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development contractors
in
> > area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings. Similar search
for
> > NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

> > Boris

> I just tested www.dice.com for "Linux developer" restricting to 650 and 408 and got 258.

http://jobsearch.dice.com/jobsearch/jobresults.cgi?sr=1&hp=10&cf=0e.1...
r=1
Quote:

Post by Mark Robinso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development contractors in
> area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings. Similar search for
> NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

> Boris

That's nice.  Try nation wide or world wide next time.  All you have demonstrated is that
companies are advertising few positions for Linux developement in Silicon Valley  on
www.dice.com.

    Mark

Post by Brent Davie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

| > I just ran search for available positions for Linux software
development contractors in
| > area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15
listings. Similar search for
| > NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that
test.

| > Boris
|
| I just tested www.dice.com for "Linux developer" restricting to 650
and 408 and got 258.

http://jobsearch.dice.com/jobsearch/jobresults.cgi?sr=1&hp=10&cf=0e.1386
2700&brief=0&banner=1

| Check this URL for my results.  Please the URL for your results Boris.

That's funny.  I just checked out your URL and it showed 46 matches.  I
find it hard to believe that 212 jobs were filled in the 1 hour and 10
minutes since your post.

-B

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Jeff Hal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Your browser must be broken or buggy.  Are you using Microsoft Internet
Explorer?  Well, using Netscape/ 650/408 area code/ all states/ Linux
developer, thves the following result:

Jobs 1-10 of 259 matching your query

> | > I just ran search for available positions for Linux software
> development contractors in
> | > area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15
> listings. Similar search for
> | > NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that
> test.
> | >
> | > Boris
> |
> | I just tested www.dice.com for "Linux developer" restricting to 650
> and 408 and got 258.
> |
> http://jobsearch.dice.com/jobsearch/jobresults.cgi?sr=1&hp=10&cf=0e.1386
> 2700&brief=0&banner=1
> |
> | Check this URL for my results.  Please the URL for your results Boris.

> That's funny.  I just checked out your URL and it showed 46 matches.  I
> find it hard to believe that 212 jobs were filled in the 1 hour and 10
> minutes since your post.

> -B

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Brent Davie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

| Your browser must be broken or buggy.  Are you using Microsoft
Internet
| Explorer?

Typical anti-MS advocate answer.  "It must be that your MS software is
broken."

| Well, using Netscape/ 650/408 area code/ all states/ Linux
| developer, thves the following result:
|
| Jobs 1-10 of 259 matching your query

I did not do my own search because Mark Robinson was kind enough to post
a URL to his own search, where he claimed to find 258 listings.  By
going to that URL (the URL wrapped in his post so you have to copy and
paste it) I get a page that claims to be showing listings 1 - 10 of 46
total.

I would like to do my own search, but www.dice.com is currently down.

-B

| > |
| > |

| > |
| > development contractors in
| > listings. Similar search for
| > test.

| > |
| > | I just tested www.dice.com for "Linux developer" restricting to
650
| > and 408 and got 258.
| > |

http://jobsearch.dice.com/jobsearch/jobresults.cgi?sr=1&hp=10&cf=0e.1386
| > 2700&brief=0&banner=1
| > |
| > | Check this URL for my results.  Please the URL for your results
Boris.

| > That's funny.  I just checked out your URL and it showed 46 matches.
| > find it hard to believe that 212 jobs were filled in the 1 hour and
10
| > minutes since your post.
| >
| > -B

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Tim Hans » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

According to C/Net, Windows is losing its bast to Linux and Java.

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,40384,00.html?tag=st.cn.sr1.dir.

>Makes sense to me, NT has a vastly larger installed base. Considering I
>did similarabout a year ago and found NO postings US nation wide, I
>would say this shows very rapid growth of Linux.

>> I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development contractors in
>> area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings. Similar search for
>> NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

>> Boris

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Rube » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There might be fewer positions available for Linux developers. But generally
Linux-workers are much better paid than any MSCE, since nowdays they've
(MSCEs) become ubiquitous and therefore less demand. If you're a sysadmin
you could fine a Linux/Unix job a lot easier and very, very good paid.

Ruben

Quote:> I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development
contractors in
> area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings.
Similar search for
> NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

> Boris

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Bori » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm not sure about sysadmins but senior NT developers get paid $80 - 120 per hour. Not
bad.

Boris

> There might be fewer positions available for Linux developers. But generally
> Linux-workers are much better paid than any MSCE, since nowdays they've
> (MSCEs) become ubiquitous and therefore less demand. If you're a sysadmin
> you could fine a Linux/Unix job a lot easier and very, very good paid.

> Ruben

> > I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development
> contractors in
> > area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings.
> Similar search for
> > NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

> > Boris

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by LordHecto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I'm not sure about sysadmins but senior NT developers get paid $80 -
120 per hour. Not
> bad.

        So you're saying that they get paid between $166,400 to $249,600 per
year?!?!? Please show me which company will pay that much for a "Senior
NT Developer". What does a "Senior NT developer" do to warrant a salary
that high? Does a "Senior NT Developer" develop applications, or merely
delegate responsibilty for for legions of MCP/MCSE's?

        How much more does a full MCSE have to learn before he can metamorph
into the beautiful butterfly called "Senior NT Developer"?

        How many "Senior NT Developers" exist?

        Answer me.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Grant Fisch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[follow-ups trimmed]

>I just ran search for available positions for Linux software development contractors in
>area codes 650 and 408 (it's Silicon Valley). It produced 15 listings. Similar search for
>NT developers produced >330 listings. I used www.dice.com for that test.

>Boris

Ask for UNIX developers. Same kind of stuff. Nearly 7000 jobs.

--

Grant Fischer                       (gfischer at the domain hub.org)

Demand for Linux developers? No.

Post by Brent Davie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

| Go to www.dice.com .
| Select Advanced Search.
| Select Contract, SWE, California, type 408 and 650 for area codes,
type word "linux" in
| edit box, click "Search".
| 16 listings are returned.

I see what's going on.  You are restricting your search to contract only
and everyone else is searching with the contract restriction.

With "Contract" select, search returns 16 listings.
Without "Contract" selected, search returns 214 listings.

I guess it all depends on whether you are looking for full time or
temporary work.

-B

1. Developer panel for Linux developers

Hello,
Evans Marketing Services is an independent market research company focused
on the software development community.  We form panels of developers who
give us their opinions on technology issues and we turn these into compiled
reports for major companies.  We're now forming a panel of deveopers working
on and/or targeting Linux.

We'd like to invite all Linux developers to fill out a survey on Linux (and
OSS) development  at:
http://evansmarketing.setlist.com/Linuxsurvey.asp and so join our panel.
Not only will your opinions get heard, but you'll automatically be entered
in a drawing to win $500 cash.

ALSO - THIS INFORMATION IS NEVER USED FOR SALES.  WE WILL NEVER TRY TO SELL
YOU ANYTHING AND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL NEVER BE GIVEN TO ANYONE
UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Please take a look at the survey.  We think you'll find it interesting.

The Research Team at EMS

2. Women!

3. Win32 Developer -> Linux Developer?

4. Q: How to tune a Solaris Web Server

5. Developer Panel for Linux Developers

6. /proc in aix 5L

7. Developer panel for Linux developers

8. Cannot Run Xvidtune

9. Developer Panel for Linux developers

10. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

11. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

12. NOS/NET/Wampes for linux

13. linux NOS