Thinking of doing it.

Post by Massimo Campostrin » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> First question.  I understand that the DOS and Windows emulators are
> pretty good.  So has anybody here gotten either version of IBM's
> Library Reader software running - its the only really indispensible
> thing I run under MS that I know there is no clean replacement for in
> *ix.

dosemu is quite good, while wine is getting there.  Well, just try
it. :-)  If you have a 200-300 MB spare partition, install Linux
there.  No need to delete Dos/Windoze until you are sure.

Quote:> Second with that level of experience does anyone expect that I'll have
> any real problems with the install?  I've installed a fair number of
> pd packages under AIX but only had to cope with a few mostly minor
> config bugs.  No heavy coding or porting experience as yet.

You should not have any problem, unless you have "unusual" hardware.
The only hairy thing is setting up and tuning X (just RTFM first).
Usually free software install cleanly on Linux, of course. ;-)

Quote:> Third about how long does it take to put up linux.

If you have your hardware specs at hand, you should install RedHat
Linux in less then one hour (mostly unattended), including a
non-optimized X setup.  The worst I did was two hours, but that was
NFS install and without hardware specs.  BTW, you will be favorably
impressed by the package system of RedHat (or Debian), you can easily
upgrade piecewise.  RedHat admin tools are not as comprehensive as
SMIT, but they are getting better with each release.

--
        Massimo Campostrini,
Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Sezione di Pisa.

Thinking of doing it.

Post by Terrence W. Zelle » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I've been sysad (part time) on a couple of AIX boxes at work now for a
little over a year.   BigIron sysprog otherwise.    On my PC's I've
been running
MicroShit.  As I got experience in AIX it became clear that I really
oughn't
have to put up with the proprietary information hiding *in MS.  So
I'm
really thinking about Linux for my PC at home.

First question.  I understand that the DOS and Windows emulators are
pretty good.  So has anybody here gotten either version of IBM's
Library
Reader software running - its the only really indispensible thing I
run under
MS that I know there is no clean replacement for in *ix.

Second with that level of experience does anyone expect that I'll have
any
real problems with the install?   I've installed a fair number of pd
packages under AIX but only had to cope with a few mostly minor config
bugs.  No heavy
coding or porting experience as yet.

Third about how long does it take to put up linux.

Expect to hear more from me as I*up my courage and try to figure
out
what else I'll have to replace  before I dive in.

| Terrence W. Zellers              |                                 |

| http://www.veryComputer.com/~zellers  |                                 |

Thinking of doing it.

Post by Roberto Alsi » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I've been sysad (part time) on a couple of AIX boxes at work now for a
>little over a year.   BigIron sysprog otherwise.    On my PC's I've
>been running
>MicroShit.  As I got experience in AIX it became clear that I really
>oughn't
>have to put up with the proprietary information hiding *in MS.  So
>I'm
>really thinking about Linux for my PC at home.

Try it, it won't hurt a bit. Ok, maybe a bit ;-)

Quote:

>First question.  I understand that the DOS and Windows emulators are
>pretty good.  So has anybody here gotten either version of IBM's
>Library
>Reader software running - its the only really indispensible thing I
>run under
>MS that I know there is no clean replacement for in *ix.

It's likely that the DOS version will work. The windows one is a worst
bet (unless you buy WABI).

Quote:>Second with that level of experience does anyone expect that I'll have
>any
>real problems with the install?   I've installed a fair number of pd
>packages under AIX but only had to cope with a few mostly minor config
>bugs.  No heavy
>coding or porting experience as yet.

If you are aware of what is in your computer, and it is supported
hardware, you will probably have no problem.

Quote:>Third about how long does it take to put up linux.

You mean install it? from 5 minutes to two weeks, depends on
distribution, time, and ambition.

Quote:>Expect to hear more from me as I*up my courage and try to figure
>out
>what else I'll have to replace  before I dive in.

Feel free to send me email if you need a hand.

Regards

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Thinking of doing it.

Post by John Steve » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>First question.  I understand that the DOS and Windows emulators are
>pretty good.

DosEMU is pretty good.  Wine is no where near finished yet.  But, if you
are willing to pay the price, you can buy WABI for Linux.

Quote:>Second with that level of experience does anyone expect that I'll have
>any real problems with the install?

Nope.  Heck, you could probably install Slackware.

Quote:>Third about how long does it take to put up linux.

Depends on the distribution you use, the type of hardware you have,
whether or not you want to have a dual boot system. . . ie, it can
range from an hour to a month.

John S.

Thinking of doing it.

Post by Henrik Storn » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>First question.  I understand that the DOS and Windows emulators are
>pretty good.  So has anybody here gotten either version of IBM's
>Library Reader software running - its the only really indispensible thing I
>run under MS that I know there is no clean replacement for in *ix.

If it's a Win3.x application, it might work with WABI (commercial
Windows emulator, available from Caldera who ported the original
Sun product to Linux). Wine - a freeware alternative - might also
work, but there is no way of knowing until you have actually tried it.

Quote:>Second with that level of experience does anyone expect that I'll have
>any real problems with the install?   I've installed a fair number of pd
>packages under AIX but only had to cope with a few mostly minor config
>bugs.  No heavy coding or porting experience as yet.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of running a unix system - or a desire
and willingness to invest some time in learning - should be able to
install one of the common distributions: RedHat (personal favourite),
Debian or even Slackware.

Quote:>Third about how long does it take to put up linux.

Basic installation from CD-ROM usually takes about an hour or two,
depending upon the speed of your system. Tinkering with the configu-
ration to make all of the packages do exactly what you want can
take a while - especially if you dive into nasties like sendmail
without a direct, permanent network connection.

--

"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which
 failed to start because of the following error:

Thinking of doing it.

Post by Victor R. Rivarol » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

zellert>I've been sysad (part time) on a couple of AIX boxes at work now for a
zellert>little over a year.   BigIron sysprog otherwise.    On my PC's I've
zellert>been running
zellert>MicroShit.  As I got experience in AIX it became clear that I really
zellert>oughn't
zellert>have to put up with the proprietary information hiding *in MS.  So
zellert>I'm
zellert>really thinking about Linux for my PC at home.

Smart man!

zellert>First question.  I understand that the DOS and Windows emulators are
zellert>pretty good.  So has anybody here gotten either version of IBM's
zellert>Library
zellert>Reader software running - its the only really indispensible thing I
zellert>run under
zellert>MS that I know there is no clean replacement for in *ix.

DOS emulator is excelent.  I use it daily.  There are two ways to run
Windows: Win3.1 under DOSEMU and Wine.  I do not have experience with
either one, but the developpers of both DOSEMU and Wine recommend against
it right now.

I never heard of the IBM's library, so I cannot tell you if it will run.
If it is a DOS program, you should have no problem.  If it is a Windows
program, Windows 3.1 is in the success list of DOSEMU, but it will be
harder to set up.  DOSEMU developpers will recommend you to use Win3.0 in
real mode instead. Real mode? please!

Another option is to set up your box as a Linux/DOS multiboot system.
That way you can use both OS.  This is a last resort, however, specially
if you need to constantly use your DOS program.

zellert>Second with that level of experience does anyone expect that I'll have
zellert>any
zellert>real problems with the install?   I've installed a fair number of pd
zellert>packages under AIX but only had to cope with a few mostly minor config
zellert>bugs.  No heavy
zellert>coding or porting experience as yet.

If you can administer AIX, you can administer Linux.  There are some
differences, but both are Unix.  You are expected to know how to read the
documentation, but you should be familiar with the process under AIX.  The
Linux Documentation Project, at http://www.veryComputer.com/, is your
primary source of information on the Web.  You can also download these
documents, and they should be installed to your hard drive somewhere under
/usr/doc, along with Linux.  The major sets of documents are:

HOWTO's        Complete guides on how to handle complex tasks
MINI-HOWTO's   Simple guides to do simple, or specific, things.
FAQ            Frequently Asked Questions
Manual Pages   The classic "man" pages, of course.
Info Manuals   Hypertext documentation format.  Access with emacs or info.

zellert>Third about how long does it take to put up linux.

That depends on where you are installing from, how compatible is your
hardware, and what are you willing to do to your current DOS info.

You can install Linux strait from your hard drive, a CD-ROM drive, floppy
drive, your Intranet, the Internet, sometimes even a PPP link.. Obviously,
how long it will take you will depend on how fast your connection is.

Linux uses the hardware efficiently, so broken hardware that works under
DOS might not work under Linux.  Check the Hardware Compatibility HOWTO
for this.  Obviously, if Linux has problems with your hardware, it could
take a lot of time to install.  Not that Linux hardware support is
limitted, mind you, but it could happen.

Assuming that you have information on your hard drive that you do not
want to loose, you will have to back it up.  This could take variable
amount of time, which you should consider when estimating how long it
will take you to install.

If installing from a fast CD-ROM, on a clean hard drive (no data to back
up), and on compatible hardware, Linux should take around one hour to
install.

zellert>Expect to hear more from me as I*up my courage and try to figure
zellert>out
zellert>what else I'll have to replace  before I dive in.

The waters await you.  Dive in!

Hope this helps,

Victor R. Rivarola

"A friendly interface that reduces functionality is morally wrong..."

       - Mark Hahn

1. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

Muy buenas!!!,
Le escribo ya que tengo algunos problemas y dudas acerca de linux.
Espero que tu/Usted me pueda hechar una mano, ya que poco a poco me
estoy desesperando... He escrito muchsimos emilios a los diferentes
grupos de noticias, pero nadie me puede ayudar...:
Desde principios del verano del 97, llevo utilizando la versin de
S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2 (Krnl: 2.0.33, Xfree:3.3.2, con la version beta del
KDE.) Es la versin alemana que incluye 4 CD`s...
Mis dudas son:
1. ?Linux es compatible con mi procesador K6-2 a 350Mhz? Supongo que si,
ya que funciona,,, pero he odo algo por lo del cach de segundo
nivl...He odo que hace falta un patch para Linux que haga que Linux
utilice el cach de segundo nivel...?Es verdad?
2.En mi otro ordenador (un Pentium 133 con tarjeta grfica S3 Virge) he
conseguido hacer que funcione todo perfectamente. Todo, incluido el
entorno grfico...
Pero en mi nuevo ordenador (un K6-2/350 en placa ASUS P5A con tarjeta
grfica Trident 3DImge975 de 4 Mb) no consigo configurar el entorno
grfico. Cuando intento configurar la tarjeta grfica, con el programa
incluido en mi versin S.u.S.E. "YaST" o bien con el programa estndar,
me sale una ventana peque?a (ms o menos de 4cm de alto y tan ancha como
la pantalla) con mil lineas movindose de desordenadamente... Levemente
se v, que es el entorno grfico de "FVWM2"...pero en ese estado no se
puede hacer nada de nada...Me paso a la consola desde la cual he
ejecutado "startx" y presiono Ctrl&C...Desde la primera consola al
parecer no aparecen errores y parece estar todo bien...He probado mil
configuraciones diferentes de resolucin y colores pero nada,
tampoco...Mi targeta (Trident 3d Imge 975) est en la base de datos de
las targetas soportadas, pero aun as no la reconoce bien. En la caja de
versin de Linux pone que mi targeta est soportada, y ms alante pone
que estn soportadas experimentalmente y adems sin aceleracin... Esto
ltimo (que est en modo experimental) lo acabo de ver ahora y no me lo
imaginaba... <---puede ser que mi problema sea por los drivers??? A ver
si ahora me conecto, mando este mensaje y busco el driver
acutalizado...   Ahora que he visto que los drivers, para mi tarjeta
grfica, que incluye mi versin de Linux son experimentales me parece un
poco estpida haberte hecho esta pregunta... pero an as gracias por
leerla...
3. Por ltimo,: ?Sabes de algn programa para entrar en Internet por
RED? Para que desde el Pentium pueda entrar en internet con el K6. Tipo
"Internet-Share"....      Muchas gracias en adelanto, Daniel     --->

2. Veritas Volume manager

3. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

4. Static routes

5. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

6. 3Com 3C905 Linux Drivers

7. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

8. Looking for Mail -> News

9. Serial - I thought I knew what I'm doing.....

10. A thought about DR-DOS

11. eql doing strange things..I think?

12. Badblock on swap, I think; mkswap really done?

13. Thinking to add LINUX to WARP 3/DOS multi-boot system