opinion, observation and a dumb question

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by NVA » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:32:53



Hi,

My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar screen
would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead of the small
band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president claims pose a the
greatest threat.

Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy", but
the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues which
leads to to...

Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically, what is
the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for a an 'non
Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and, understand
Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't count sine MS owns a
notable slice) however, the pre*ly technical nature of most
threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard' plug and play centered
endomorph.

_______________________________________________
"I prefer quiet vice to ostentacious virture"
- Albert Einsteine

"uh-oh"
- Gen. George Armstrong Custer
_______________________________________________

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by alt » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:42:34



> Hi,

> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar
> screen would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead
> of the small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president
> claims pose a the greatest threat.

While this is OT, I find it amusing:

The reason is that the Bush Administration loves contributions made by
businesses. Microsoft gives contributions to both sides which ensures
that they have some "leverage".

As well, GWB made his money from business. He didn't make it from Al
Queda ;)

Quote:> Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy",
> but the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues
> which leads to to...

> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically,
> what is the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for
> a an 'non Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and,
> understand Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't
> count sine MS owns a notable slice) however, the pre*ly
> technical nature of most threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard'
> plug and play centered endomorph.

I can have a Debian System downloaded and functional within about 4
hours. Other CD based installs can be working and functional within a
hour.

I'd personally say on a Major distro, that the tweak:run-time is
probably better than Microsoft's. My reason for saying this is that
there are no extra applications installed with Microsoft Windows.
Linux distributions tend to have all the applications you want on the
installer and it is trivial to install software onto a linux box
while you are installing linux.

Quote:> _______________________________________________
> "I prefer quiet vice to ostentacious virture"
> - Albert Einsteine

> "uh-oh"
> - Gen. George Armstrong Custer
> _______________________________________________

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!
All rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAA!"
"Micheal, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was
everything that I thought it could be." - Peter, Office Space

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Todd R » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:48:48




<snip>

> As well, GWB made his money from business. He didn't make it from Al
> Queda ;)

<snip>

Actually, he LOST a lot of money in business, which is why he had to take up
politics.

Todd

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:45:03



> Hi,

> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar screen
> would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead of the small
> band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president claims pose a the
> greatest threat.

> Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy", but
> the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues which
> leads to to...

> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically, what is
> the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for a an 'non
> Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and, understand
> Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't count sine MS owns a
> notable slice) however, the pre*ly technical nature of most
> threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard' plug and play centered
> endomorph.

The same problem is plaguing my wife.  The M$ EULA is an
abomination and should be banished.  The main problem is
that M$ wants the right to pry into your computer and do
upgrades whether you want them or not.
Yes, Linux does work and it works very well.  There are
issues with Linux tho, and I think you should take the rest
of your queue from flatfish on these issues.
 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by steven howe » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:53:26


I also have a question to add and your post made me think of it again.
Max OS X is based on the linux kernel is it not?  if it is then why did
49% owner MS allow this I'm sure the other 51% were not all in favour...



> Hi,

> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar screen
> would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead of the
> small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president claims pose a
> the greatest threat.

> Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy", but
> the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues which
> leads to to...

> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically, what
> is the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for a an
> 'non Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and,
> understand Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't count
> sine MS owns a notable slice) however, the pre*ly technical
> nature of most threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard' plug and play
> centered endomorph.

> _______________________________________________ "I prefer quiet vice to
> ostentacious virture" - Albert Einsteine

> "uh-oh"
> - Gen. George Armstrong Custer
> _______________________________________________

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by GeneralP » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:01:41


On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:53:26 GMT, steven howes assert()ed:

Quote:> I also have a question to add and your post made me think of it again.
> Max OS X is based on the linux kernel is it not?  if it is then why did
> 49% owner MS allow this I'm sure the other 51% were not all in favour...

Mac OS X is based on the Mach microkernel and uses some parts of FreeBSD.

MS owns 49% of apple?

--
General Protection Fault

  2:00pm  up 5 days, 14:48,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.09, 0.08
Linux nitrogen.ertw.com 2.4.18-17.7.x i586 unknown

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by mlw » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:43:00





> <snip>

>>As well, GWB made his money from business. He didn't make it from Al
>>Queda ;)

> <snip>

> Actually, he LOST a lot of money in business, which is why he had to take up
> politics.

> Todd

Our idiot appointed president is the idiot son of an evil man.

All the enemys of the united states, in the past 20 years, are directly
attributable to George H. Bush,

Manuel Noriega
Sadam Hussein
Bin Laden
Al Qada

 From all us in the United States, thank you George Bush, junior and senior.

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Aaron Meye » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:06:50




>> Hi,

>> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

>> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
>> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar
>> screen would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead
>> of the small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president
>> claims pose a the greatest threat.

> While this is OT, I find it amusing:

> The reason is that the Bush Administration loves contributions made by
> businesses. Microsoft gives contributions to both sides which ensures
> that they have some "leverage".

> As well, GWB made his money from business. He didn't make it from Al
> Queda ;)

3000 people died on 9/11, 600 being held hostage in Russia as I write this,
150 killed last week, 300 the week before that... and yet you say Bush is
going after muslim terrorists because of money...

        im appalled that any person would devalue life so much.
--
Aaron Meyer
RLU# 283393
RLC# 165786

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Mart van de Weg » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:15:02


<snip>

Quote:> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically, what is
> the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for a an 'non
> Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and, understand
> Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't count sine MS owns a
> notable slice) however, the pre*ly technical nature of most
> threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard' plug and play centered
> endomorph.

That's not a dumb question at all.

Tweak- to run-time ratio depends a lot. Most important is your choice
of Linux Distribution, and secondly, what hardware do you run?

If you have any idea what's inside your computers, then it would be
rather easy to check to see if any major problems are known with your
hardware. If no major problems are known, install should be a breeze,
and tweaking should be minimal.

Of course, the amount of *optional* tweaking you can do on a Linux
system is practically infinite, ranging from changing a desktop theme
to actually diving in and doing some programming. That's what you
usually see when a technical thread is going on, with the exception of
obvious trolls.

Good choices for a first distro would be:

1. SuSE. No free download, but an FTP net install instead. The boxed
   set comes with 7 CDs and a DVD full of software, and I'm told the
   manuals are nice. System administration is a bit centered on SuSE's
   own tools, so simple fixes 'edit this config file' from newsgroups
   or websites *might* go awry. OTOH, the tools might be smart enough
   to recognise manual edits. Perhaps a SuSE user can chime in here.

2. Mandrake. Doesn't come with the gigantic amount of software SuSE
   does. Is otherwise well-known for good hardware detection and a
   trouble-free install. The last three major releases however they
   also built a reputation for installing bleeding-edge software. This
   will give you the newest shiniest stuff, with the attendant
   crashes.

3. Red Hat. Although they concentrate on the corporate market at the
   expense of home-users, there distro is known for being a solid
   all-around offering. They have their idiosyncracies, but otherwise
   not a bad distro at all. Perhaps their strength is also their
   damning point: they're all-round, so there is nothing that they
   really excel at. OTOH, if something works, it will usually work
   well on Red Hat.

These are the 3 majors. There are a few minor distros that cater to
the new user (Lycoris, Xandros), but I don't know how good they are.

Mart

--
"It is not funny that a man should be killed,
but it is sometimes funny that he should be killed for so little,
and that his death should be the coin of what we call civilization."
        Raymond Chandler - The Simple Art Of *

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:31:12



> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically,
> what is the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for
> a an 'non Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and,
> understand Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't count
> sine MS owns a notable slice) however, the pre*ly technical
> nature of most threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard' plug and
> play centered endomorph.

Actually, Microsoft doesn't own a noteable slice of Apple.  $150 million of
non-voting stock, which means they cannot influence the company (through
stock anyways) in any way, and $150 million is (at last count) less than
1/10th of 1%.  Besides, I think MS sold the stock as soon as they bought it.
It makes no sense to keep it, it's worthless.
 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:33:16




>> Hi,

>> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

>> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
>> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar
>> screen would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead
>> of the small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president
>> claims pose a the greatest threat.

>> Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy",
>> but the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues
>> which leads to to...

>> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically,
>> what is the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for
>> a an 'non Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and,
>> understand Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't
>> count sine MS owns a notable slice) however, the pre*ly
>> technical nature of most threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard'
>> plug and play centered endomorph.

> The same problem is plaguing my wife.  The M$ EULA is an
> abomination and should be banished.  The main problem is
> that M$ wants the right to pry into your computer and do
> upgrades whether you want them or not.

Nope.  That's not what the EULA says.  I quote:

"If you choose to utilize the update features within the OS Product or OS
Components, it is necessary to use certain computer system, hardware, and
software information to implement the features. By using these features, you
explicitly authorize Microsoft or its designated agent to access and utilize
the necessary information for updating purposes."

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:35:18



> I also have a question to add and your post made me think of it again.
> Max OS X is based on the linux kernel is it not?  if it is then why
> did 49% owner MS allow this I'm sure the other 51% were not all in
> favour...

1)  Microsoft is not a 49% owner (christ, if you think $150 million of
non-voting stock can make someone a 49% owner, you could have bought the
entire Apple computer company for $300 million.  It's current market cap is
over 5 billion.)

2)  Mac OS X is based on the BSD Kernel.

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by GreyClou » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:15:14





> >> Hi,

> >> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

> >> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
> >> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar
> >> screen would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead
> >> of the small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president
> >> claims pose a the greatest threat.

> >> Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy",
> >> but the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues
> >> which leads to to...

> >> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically,
> >> what is the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for
> >> a an 'non Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and,
> >> understand Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't
> >> count sine MS owns a notable slice) however, the pre*ly
> >> technical nature of most threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard'
> >> plug and play centered endomorph.

> > The same problem is plaguing my wife.  The M$ EULA is an
> > abomination and should be banished.  The main problem is
> > that M$ wants the right to pry into your computer and do
> > upgrades whether you want them or not.

> Nope.  That's not what the EULA says.  I quote:

> "If you choose to utilize the update features within the OS Product or OS
> Components, it is necessary to use certain computer system, hardware, and
> software information to implement the features. By using these features, you
> explicitly authorize Microsoft or its designated agent to access and utilize
> the necessary information for updating purposes."

Unitl you download SP1.  Then your screwed.
 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by KH » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:35:17


On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:32:53 +0000, NVA drooled:

Quote:> Hi,

> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar screen
> would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead of the
> small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president claims pose a
> the greatest threat.

> Observation: The label for this news group is labelled "Advocacy", but
> the content leans very heavily toward hardware/software issues which
> leads to to...

> Question: Does Linux in its current form work? More specifically, what
> is the tweak time to run time ratio?. I'm looking (praying) for a an
> 'non Microsoft' OS to 'de-willy' one or both home systems and,
> understand Linux to be the only viable contender (Apple doesn't count
> sine MS owns a notable slice) however, the pre*ly technical
> nature of most threads is a bit worrisome for a 'standard' plug and play
> centered endomorph.

> _______________________________________________ "I prefer quiet vice to
> ostentacious virture" - Albert Einsteine

> "uh-oh"
> - Gen. George Armstrong Custer
> _______________________________________________

I have installed Redhat 8 on 4 PC's so far. Run time 95% - tweak time 5%.
I guess it just depends how much you want to do.  Even though I had 1%
tweak time with Windows XP (that's all MS allows) I got the RH installed
AND tweaked in about 1/2 the time of the XP install.

--
Keith

"Now is the time for all good men
(and women) to use Linux!"

 
 
 

opinion, observation and a dumb question

Post by Charlie Eber » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:30:42





>>> Hi,

>>> My first post to this group, I hope not to offend everyone...

>>> Opinion: If the Bush administration is REALLY concerned about the
>>> destruction of "American values" the countries collective radar
>>> screen would have the Microsoft insignia in the cross hairs instead
>>> of the small band of sleazy camel humping lunatics the president
>>> claims pose a the greatest threat.

>> While this is OT, I find it amusing:

>> The reason is that the Bush Administration loves contributions made by
>> businesses. Microsoft gives contributions to both sides which ensures
>> that they have some "leverage".

>> As well, GWB made his money from business. He didn't make it from Al
>> Queda ;)

> 3000 people died on 9/11, 600 being held hostage in Russia as I write this,
> 150 killed last week, 300 the week before that... and yet you say Bush is
> going after muslim terrorists because of money...

>         im appalled that any person would devalue life so much.

Yeah, no shit!  This probably also explains why he refuses to fix SSN.

Charlie

 
 
 

1. dumb da dumb dumb newbie prob.

rh7 running apache2 on cable modem service w/o domain name yet. Finally got
users /home/*/public_html/ working.

However, if http://111.111.111.111/~user/ is sent, the user's public_html
index page is served. but if I drop off the tailing / as in /~user only, no
luck.

I am certain this is a simple one and all I need to do is edit httpd.conf
to accept BOTH.

So, which line & where?

all insults accepted if you include the fix.

Thanks!

2. Help this Newbie!! how to install pcnfsd ??

3. DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

4. about AX25 and Net2Debugged

5. dumb dumb question

6. Serial mouse stopped working

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. sdfgsdfg

9. Observations and questions from a dithered Linux novitiate

10. a bunch of linux questions and an observation about gcc

11. Unix/W95 Question, dumb question...

12. SAMBA observations and questions

13. Newbie's observations, tips, questions