ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

Post by Rave » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 04:10:44



Mallard, you might want to check to see how many people have had problems
with the "Window 2000/XP/ME" installs. ME is a very good example of wasted
money. W2K has had three service packs, and I know people that have
purchased XP that still can not get it installed. You might also get
Windows installed, but what is worse is when you install a few apps and
things start crashing down on you.

Linux does not have uninstall problems, nor do new installs put everything
into chaos.. Where is the tradeoff?? I would rather have problems
installing then to have things a few months later come crashing down. It is
much more difficult to get back to where you were. Windows, any version, is
notorious for crashing after several application installs. Windows will
eventually have you re-installing everything, or at least that has been my
experience in the last 10 years..

I think every operating system has had its problems, but I can say that my
Athlon 1800/MSI KT333/1GB Memory/GForce 2, and ATI Radion 7500 works great.
I think Suse has been the easiest to install out of all the versions of
Linux.


> I have wasted a lot of time with Linux and I can assure people it will
> never happen again because I will not be wasting any more money on
> linux. I can see why people are unwilling to pay for it because it
> really is a very poor, user unfriendly product.
> The applications look very ameaturish and block like and the overall
> look and feel of the entire system is very slow compared to Windows
> 2000.

> I was in luck though because Best Buy gave me a full cash refund after
> the manager told me people return Linux all the time because they
> can't get it to work. That doesn't come as a surprise to me at all.

> Denny Mallard

 
 
 

ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

Post by Richard Moor » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:32:51


I'm back!!! Yet again! Hopefully this server will lemme post... We'll see
:o)

Anyhoo... With XP, I have this to say... It is gorgeous... I love it! It has
one or two features that I adore (that are lacking in 2000... The most
wanted being the ability to have multiple users logged in at the same
time)... Which is why I am bitter that it doesn't install on my machine!
I've had SOOOOoooo many problems with XP. But, I know many people who
installed it without issue. For me, 2000 installed without issue and hasn't
crashed in months (mind you, I do reboot every week or so, when a nice
little bundle of critical updates has accumulated on windowsupdate). But I
also know ppl who had issues with 2000. And Linux, I know many people that
had no problems (other than things like taking a bit longer to get usb, etc.
working) and people who have been plagued by problems (myself... Hence
moving to the *superior* posix solution, FreeBSD :op).

My point?? I really don't know... It's late and I'm tired, but I have a
train of thought when I started this post... Meh. I'm happy with my FreeBSD
box and my Win2000 box and haven't any problems with either (beyond regular
problems one can expect from normal use...)

Whether you choose Linux, Windows, BeOS or any other OS, they are all
equal... Within reason... I won't have DOS 3.1 challenge Solaris 8...

So, that sponge is potato wall or brick?! Indeed!
    RicMoo

 
 
 

ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

Post by Glen Herro » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:43:13


love to hear that but if you know how to maintain windows it does not crash
i to use suse 8 pro win me i have  no problems using either

> Mallard, you might want to check to see how many people have had problems
> with the "Window 2000/XP/ME" installs. ME is a very good example of wasted
> money. W2K has had three service packs, and I know people that have
> purchased XP that still can not get it installed. You might also get
> Windows installed, but what is worse is when you install a few apps and
> things start crashing down on you.

> Linux does not have uninstall problems, nor do new installs put everything
> into chaos.. Where is the tradeoff?? I would rather have problems
> installing then to have things a few months later come crashing down. It
is
> much more difficult to get back to where you were. Windows, any version,
is
> notorious for crashing after several application installs. Windows will
> eventually have you re-installing everything, or at least that has been my
> experience in the last 10 years..

> I think every operating system has had its problems, but I can say that my
> Athlon 1800/MSI KT333/1GB Memory/GForce 2, and ATI Radion 7500 works
great.
> I think Suse has been the easiest to install out of all the versions of
> Linux.


> > I have wasted a lot of time with Linux and I can assure people it will
> > never happen again because I will not be wasting any more money on
> > linux. I can see why people are unwilling to pay for it because it
> > really is a very poor, user unfriendly product.
> > The applications look very ameaturish and block like and the overall
> > look and feel of the entire system is very slow compared to Windows
> > 2000.

> > I was in luck though because Best Buy gave me a full cash refund after
> > the manager told me people return Linux all the time because they
> > can't get it to work. That doesn't come as a surprise to me at all.

> > Denny Mallard

 
 
 

ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

Post by BigFa » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:10:43


On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:10:44 -0700, Raven


>Mallard, you might want to check to see how many people have had problems
>with the "Window 2000/XP/ME" installs. ME is a very good example of wasted
>money. W2K has had three service packs, and I know people that have
>purchased XP that still can not get it installed. You might also get
>Windows installed, but what is worse is when you install a few apps and
>things start crashing down on you.

I have installed ALL of the above, and 95, 98, 98SE without
problems many, many times in the past.

My current Windows XP platform has been running for 12 months
with absolutely no problmes despite the addition and removeal of
many apps over that period.

With LINUX I have never yet been able to get an install to work,
no matter how basic the hardware.

Drivers are a nightmare and trying to find any kind of decent
application is aweful, IMHO.

Quote:

>Linux does not have uninstall problems, nor do new installs put everything
>into chaos.. Where is the tradeoff?? I would rather have problems
>installing then to have things a few months later come crashing down. It is
>much more difficult to get back to where you were. Windows, any version, is
>notorious for crashing after several application installs. Windows will
>eventually have you re-installing everything, or at least that has been my
>experience in the last 10 years..

Basically there are several camps, of which the UNIX based
homeuser is pretty much the bottom of the pile, after MS and
Apple, once again IMHO.
 
 
 

ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

Post by Paul Robso » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:08:22



> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:10:44 -0700, Raven

>>Mallard, you might want to check to see how many people have had problems
>>with the "Window 2000/XP/ME" installs. ME is a very good example of wasted
>>money. W2K has had three service packs, and I know people that have
>>purchased XP that still can not get it installed. You might also get
>>Windows installed, but what is worse is when you install a few apps and
>>things start crashing down on you.

> I have installed ALL of the above, and 95, 98, 98SE without
> problems many, many times in the past.

> My current Windows XP platform has been running for 12 months
> with absolutely no problmes despite the addition and removeal of
> many apps over that period.

> With LINUX I have never yet been able to get an install to work,
> no matter how basic the hardware.

> Drivers are a nightmare and trying to find any kind of decent
> application is aweful, IMHO.

and I can fly ?
 
 
 

ALERT! SUSE LINUX A WASTE OF MONEY!

Post by Sinister Midge » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:50:46


On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:10:43 -0500, BigFan spawned:



>>Mallard, you might want to check to see how many people have had
>>problems with the "Window 2000/XP/ME" installs. ME is a very good
>>example of wasted money. W2K has had three service packs, and I know
>>people that have purchased XP that still can not get it installed. You
>>might also get Windows installed, but what is worse is when you install
>>a few apps and things start crashing down on you.

> I have installed ALL of the above, and 95, 98, 98SE without problems
> many, many times in the past.

> My current Windows XP platform has been running for 12 months with
> absolutely no problmes despite the addition and removeal of many apps
> over that period.

Math isn't your strong point, huh?

Quote:> With LINUX I have never yet been able to get an install to work, no
> matter how basic the hardware.

It must be really painful to be you!! And Rich bell, and Simon Cooke.

Quote:> Drivers are a nightmare and trying to find any kind of decent
> application is aweful, IMHO.

awe   Pronunciation Key
n.

   1. A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by
   authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might: We felt awe when
   contemplating the works of Bach. The observers were in awe of the
   destructive power of the new weapon.

Excepting the dread, I'd agree about aweful. I'm guessing, though, you
meant awful. in which case, you're wrong.

Quote:>>Linux does not have uninstall problems, nor do new installs put
>>everything into chaos.. Where is the tradeoff?? I would rather have
>>problems installing then to have things a few months later come crashing
>>down. It is much more difficult to get back to where you were. Windows,
>>any version, is notorious for crashing after several application
>>installs. Windows will eventually have you re-installing everything, or
>>at least that has been my experience in the last 10 years..

> Basically there are several camps, of which the UNIX based homeuser is
> pretty much the bottom of the pile, after MS and Apple, once again IMHO.

I don't think linux is even in that pile!! For that matter, pet owners
are advised to clean their pets' piles up when they've dumped them.

I've been primarily a home user for several years now. It's only gotten
better and better. The fact that someone like you can't or won't try it
out or attempt to make it work doesn't change the usefulness of the
software for those of us that are capable.

Now, if you can't get it to install (your words), how can anyone be
expected to believe you know anything about the subject?

Get back in my killfile, flathead!!

--
Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.